What did you use your flashlight for today?

Very true. It’s why I limit myself to posting only more adventurous or unusual times when my lights were needed. Because as of late after the tyre swap I posted about, my only real flashlight usage is of the Lumintop Tool I sleep with to help me wake up after the morning alarm clock rings.

Yeah, that’s a thing which should probably happen. And it should probably allow times shorter than 30 minutes. It’s really handy having a bedtime light which shuts itself off.

TK,
That feature would make me want to re-buy several lights if it was incorporated into a new firmware.
I had an eternaLight (remember those?) that put out whopping 10 lumens of classic early blue LED light.
It has a setting that dimmed the light every minute and would go dark after 5 minutes or so.
Used it for bedside use and as a tent light for camping for years because of that feature.

Having a way to program the dimming time and then a quick entry into Sunset from any brightness level would be a killer option.
BTY, I took at look at some of your code. My eyes started crossing about 600 lines in. :smiley:

Thanks for all your support of this? (Hobby?) over the years.
All the best,
Jeff

Here’s one for you dog lovers:

My ADHD, OCD border collie rescue dog, Ringo (AKA Sir Licks-A-Lot) got into something besides his normal food, and puked on the new carpet in the family room. That room just got re-painted, and we haven’t fully moved back in, so the lighting was bad for the cleanup. But my trusty high-CRI D4 came to the rescue.

Ringo was very interested and tried repeatedly to help. Until I actually ramped up the light on the D4. Then he suddenly snapped it out of my hand quicker than I could react. Luckily he is very good at biting without biting me.

I’ve heard that border collies can be permanently mentally damaged from chasing laser pointers. I wonder if his immediate and strong reaction to the ramping is somehow related to that.

The foam cover of one of my earbuds fell off yesterday evening, and the bud simply won’t sit still on my ear without it. Immediately reached for my S2+, and I have its high CRI to thank - the gray foam was VERY distinct from the orange-brown dirt and rocks.

Convoy saved the day again, and I got back home happy that I didn’t have a set of buds made unusable.

Used a D4 when looking for a leak in my tire. Glad I got into this hobby

I used my S1R II to count wallplates at a customer’s house today. He wants to swap them all out for screwless (hidden screws really) so instead of turning on every light in his 6000 sq ft house, I just used my trusty EDC. I also carry an IYP365 Nichia on my leatherman pouch for when I need high CRI.

The sun Is setting real quick as of late so I used my Noctigon to help one of my friends wash their car.

Finding leaks in 600MW unit condenser. FW3C and Convoy S11

There are a few tubes there

I’m in the process of moving, and in my new flat the power line and meter haven’t been connected yet. As these days I can only go after I get off work or spend the day organizing stuff that’ll come along and scrap to discard, every time I go there it’s late afternoon or early night. I’ve been doing a rotation of which Convoy I take there for lighting the place (I practically have one on each tint :P).

And last night I used my Convoy M1 to check out the front brick wall of my aunt’s house. Think I saved her from a scammy mason, too: he told her the entire thing would have to be rebuilt, when it was only a hodge-podge “column” of concrete reinforced with a cheap wire truss instead of a proper rebar frame that really has to go. Other columns are in poor condition, but they have actual frames, so with them it’s only a matter of removing and re-doing the concrete, which is much cheaper.

Whoa.

Our local coal-fired power station had an open day when I was a kid, but we only got to see the turbine / generator hall, not the boilers or condensers.

Obligatory on-topic bit: used a Nitecore MT06MD to eyeball light transmission through a chunk of white Delrin for a lantern diffuser idea (answer: not a lot, so much for that plan).

Finding a blood trail in the woods.

After I hang my bike up at work, gravity takes care of getting the battery out of the TK15s on the handlebars, but works against me with my new tail light. I’m basically lazy (don’t judge, it’s a virtue), so my Panda CRI’s magnet comes to the rescue every day now:

Disclaimer: This may be gross to some of you. I almost didn’t want to share it, but my flashlight came in handy!

Ok, so my dog has been really sick lately (poor boy) and has had trouble using the bathroom. We scheduled an appointment for him to go to the vet and the next morning we find more of a mess but with blood this time. Thankful that we set up an appointment for our dog to get checked out, I needed to figure out how to deal with what ensued.

My wife was trying to find where all of the messes were on the carpet so we could find and spot clean until we could steam clean the room. I pulled out my EDC FW3C in 4000k SST-20s and all of the effected areas were apparent and we were able to adequately clean the mess.

Gross, sure, but I wouldn’t have been able to see what I needed as clearly without the high CRI of the 4000k SST-20s in my FW3C light. So thankful I picked one of these up.

This is a nice thread. Allow me to necro it. :smiling_imp:

It’s summer in the Southern Hemisphere, so the sun rises early (as in, 4:40AM early) and sets late. Haven’t had much use for my lights because of that, moreso because the government decided on testing not using DST this year, my active hours all have daylight.

Well, not the case today with the pre-dawn rainstorm that went on until almost noon. It was so dark inside rooms with the lights off at work that I could justify using my Convoy S2 (on 10% mode) to ceiling bounce the work bathroom as I showered (because I could :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Later, as I was leaving work, I had the misfortune of my car battery dying on me. Did some social gymnastics and managed to get my ride to a mechanic near where I was. I also took the time to swap out a burnt headlight bulb, and the S2 came in handy to help the guy see inside the absurdly cramped chamber to finish placing the new bulb. He had his phone on camera mode to see inside through the screen (very clever of him), but his flash couldn’t compete with the shadows given off by the ceiling lamps; the S2 on 50% had no such trouble. The beam on that thing is beautiful for close-up work, I tell you.

All in all, my most sentimentally valuable torch (a gift from my mother) could finally stretch its legs after so much time without seeing action :partying_face:

I have a few medium format negatives from my in-laws that I need to get scanned. While bored waiting for external dependencies at work today, I did this:

It works pretty well. The negatives are under the blank sheet of paper. If I had a piece of glass to hold everything flat, I think it would be perfect.

Today? Midnight to midnight? At 4:30 this morning grabbed the D4Svn to see if it was snowing. It was. So I took a phone photo with it lighting up the landscape and texted it to family. Tonight, like every other evening, it will be used for the perimeter check to see which animals are visiting us. That flashlight has been getting a lot of use, even with the longer daylight.

secret…

I used my MF01 Mini to spot some skunks in the yard. Smelled them long before I spotted them.

I spent the past few days using a wide variety of lights to run thermal tests

… and it finally seems to be working.

It’s just a little sad that most of my lights generally sit on a shelf until I need to test something.