What do you think about this cheap 3*XP-L v5 4*18650 light? BAD. GOT FAKE EMITTERS!

The flashlight arrived today. Looking forward to test it. Think it will have to wait until tomorrow though. Exhausted after work.

And you still got no xp-l lights. :stuck_out_tongue:

?

^ I'm guessing guardior said that because the emitters do not appear to be XP-L's in the product picture.

Oh.

Anyone have a comparison picture between an xp-l and other emitters?
Will try to take pictures of the actual light’s emitters tomorrow.

Wonder whats wrong; the product pictures at FT or their product description…

Read that, you are not the only one who got fraud.
I have bought 2 (7* “XP-L” and 9*)…

I will give FT the chance to give me my money back - if not, Paypal has to do it.

go to reply # 22 in that topic mentioned above: Bestfire soup can, I gave in.. (edit: fake XP-L's, see from post #22 on) There you can see what a genuine CREE XP-L looks like compared to the unknown LEDs that have been showing up in some recent SkyRay style lights.
(The Cree XP-L dome extends to the very edge of the chip die with the sides of the done actually flattened at the sides. Also the XP-L dome has a pattern texture and not perfectly smooth like the unknown LEDs are.

So have you powered it up yet? Any beamshots or first impressions? I sort of want a triple SRK clone…

Ok, finally had the time to test the flashlight. After reading the BLF thread linked to earlier, I had lowered my expectations.

Firstly, I (too) can confirm that the emitters look nothing like an XP-L emitter.

Secondly, I have to report that the impression is pretty undewhelming. Even considering the low price paid and despite that I had already lowered my expectations.
As a host the light seems, well, ok i guess. It’s got three modes; low medium and high. Always starts at high, then cycles through low-med-high.

I powered it up with 4 new and freshly charged Keeppower 18650’s and compared to a few other lights that I own and am familiar with: A Trustfire TR-3T6, an Olight Warrior M21X, and a Nitecore MH20.

The following pictures were taken with the same (manual) settings on a Nikon D5100 camera. All lights had fully charged batteries of decent quality and had the same distance to the wall I used as a target. Should be directly comparable.
The “triple XP-L” was also tested with 4*Xtar 3100 18650’s with the exact same result.

The so called triple XP-L from fasttech:

The TR-3T6:

The M21X:

The MH20:

As the pictures show, not exactly very impressive. Not even for fake emitters I think…

Will of course not recommend this light to anyone. Lots of cheaper lights give a lot more light than this. Pretty much useless. Will consult Fasttech about this, see what happens.
A more thorough review will not happen from my part, as I feel that this light just isn’t Worth the effort.

Depending on the construction, and if there is any heat sinking under the emitters, you could drop some XM-L2s or XP-Ls in there, then replace the driver and turn that into a light that's actually good.

I'm still trying to find one of these to use for host duty for a triple UV build myself...

Might try to mod it. Depends on what happens at FT. Just filed a complaint.

Get the FET driver from mtnelectronics.com and the XP-Ls

Really sorry to hear about the let down NM. Reminds me of when I was little and would order some awesome gadget advertized in a comic book or something.

Really very uncool FT. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

I think it’s not NM but MN ; )

^ You're right. My apologies MaleNurse (MN).

Everyone who receives lights with these fake bogus emitters should all file claims for refunds, that way it may get their attention that they aren’t fooling everyone with the fake crap & learn they will loose money until they put back the genuine parts.

I mean pity those who know nothing about genuine Cree LEDs

To quote a song title by a famous american rock band: Sad but true. :_(

Thanks for the somewhat cryptic heads up though :slight_smile:

Please do file that Paypal claim though. The only way to prevent more of this is make it not cost efficient for them to defraud people. Many average consumers may never realize when they get fake emitters, judging by the high levels of “Great! 5/5 stars!” reviews on Amazon and other places for fake and/or low powered lights with inflated lumen claims using Ultrafire fake capacity batteries!

Updates to the case of the fake XP-L’s are posted in the other thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/33780?page=2#comment-778141