What flashlight(s) is recommended?

C8 is maybe little to big for me. If I’m out in the woods or something, I like to put my flashlight in my jacket pocket when I’m not using it.
S2 or DQG 26650. Of course, the S2 is much cheaper. C8 was not so different in price.

What P60 drop in do you have?
Maybe with some more detail we could recommend a similar setup with more power.
What type of modes/beam/tint/etc would you like to have?

The Convoy S2 lights are very nice, and available in several different combinations of emitters and drivers.

Get a lower-powered driver if you prefer runtime over brightness, or a high-powered driver if you want maximum brightness with the option to use Med/Low modes. The S2 will likely be a bit floodier than your P60 type of drop-ins, but are available with the XM-L2 emitters and 2.8A drivers. It will also have better heat sinking than your 501x P60 hosts...

For your budget, you could get a Convoy S2 (~$14) and a C8 (~$19) from FastTech and have both a floodier EDC-sized light, and a nice thrower light.

https://www.fasttech.com/search?convoy%20s2

https://www.fasttech.com/search?convoy%20c8

No aff link

Here are some suggestions :slight_smile:

If you get the 2800mAh Convoy S2+ you should be looking at around 900lm, a really great quality flashlight for the price.

Your current WF-501B should be between 650-800lm.

Both are fairly heavily dependent on good batteries. The majority of Ultrafire cells that I have tested, but would never use beyond testing in a safe environment, couldn’t handle 2000mAh+. The few that could handle it, dropped out of regulation before 15 minutes.

Some crazy guys have found that the upper maximum on xml2 is actually around 1900lm. You wont be finding that in any stock, budget flashlights though. :stuck_out_tongue:

if you are buying from simon’s aliexpress (i think shenzhen convoy) then you’re getting a safe deal.

not too sure about getting lower price from him but you can try.
the s2+ won’t reach your 40 dollar deal so it should be ok even for the priciest option

I did see all the 700+ comments and 5 of 5 rating, so he must be selling a good product.

I often buy from dx.com EU direct, since they deliver really fast most of the time (7-9 days).
Is this a OK Convoy S2+ flashlight? Convoy S2+ 925lm 2-Group 3/5-Mode White LED Flashlight w/ Cree XM-L2 T5-5B - Black (1 x 18650)

The good thing there is that they send it as a unmarked package, and you actually can buy a insurance (around $1) that if the package is taken by the custom and you get VAT/custom fee, they pay it for you.

for the dollar I think it is hard to beat the JM30 and JM35 lights.

It might push you right up to your 42 dollar limit but they are super lights (yes floody).

Maybe you can have some lights moded and sent in low dollar packages so as not the break the customs limit?

the C8 is really not that big but if you want more lumen and runtime and still fit in a pocket.

maybe somthing like this?

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10005206/1412110-ultrafire-lzz-f15-cree-xm-l-u2-5-mode-700-lumen

But are the last one better then Convoy C2+?

My guess would be not, as the C2+ is a very high quality light; the option Ronin42 suggested is a larger diameter flashlight that uses the higher capacity 26650 cells, which will give you longer runtime. Would be good if normal 18650s aren't sufficient.

OK, I have ordered two different types of C2+ - both with XM-L2, but one with T6 and one with U2. Also looking to maybe order a red one from Gearbest, it’s only $13 now with the sale.

My old flashlights is good for now, but if a new one is better, then of course I will change to new ones. I have got several good replies here, so if I need a more powerful flashlight, or know somebody that need one, I can recommend flashlights from this thread.

If there is any more I should take a look on, please mention them.

Might be too late, but you really can't go wrong with this AliExpress Store, as previously mentioned. Highly recommended here on BLF - Simon seems like a pretty good guy. Always responded fast to me, answered all my Q's. Here's the RED S2+: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Convoy-S2-Red-Cree-XML2-U2-1A-EDC-LED-Flashlight-torch-lantern-self-defense-camping-light/330416_32252638688.html. Little more money, but he's got it with a ton of options and has the full set of accessories and components unlike the $13 special from GearBest. I got both and there is a difference. Believe me, I ordered a ton of stuff recently from GearBest and it's a hit and miss, lots of misses due to false advertising, re-sale of old inventory, they have no clue what they are shipping, etc. Dunno bout shipping to Norway. DX really isn't any better - we've had recent problems with them as well.

The RED Convoy S2+ is the state-of-the-art in these budget tube lights. The SS switch is outstanding. If someone wants a tailswitch tube light now, it's the only one I'm recommending - lots bought from my recommendation on it.

Trust me about this! I have a lot of Convoys lights,S2,S3,C8…… But recently I have ordered Eagle Eye A6 with XP-L led, and it
iz amazing,I love it so much that I have put all my convoys EDC away, and taking this light with me everywhere I go. Neutral tint is perfect, and it have 4 modes (LO,MID,HI,TURBO,and the strobe is hidden). I am reading 2,85A on turbo no mather what cell I use! Memory is also instant, always starts in last mode,there is no PWM,and ugly noice from the driver like S2 have on middle mode. Oh yeah the glass is also AR coated !!

link

I did order two red S2+ from Simon with only mod to 7135*6 output current 2100mA on one of them, and
7135*8 output current 2800mA on the other. I understand that the last one will be the brightest one? But also the hottest if I use full power to long. (same issue that I have with my old WF-501B Ultrafire flashlights now, they are getting very hot).

If I’m happy, I will order 2-4 more. What other mods do you recommend? Is it stupid to use 7135*8. I will maybe then have a *3 or *4 so they last longer. But what about all the XML2 T6-3B add $0.53 and XML2 T6-4C / XML2 T5-5B / XML2 T4-7A add $1.4 what is the best setup?

Last question, if I use batteries with more then 2800mAh in this flashlight (with *8), will it just last longer?
What if I use high drain batteries in this flashlight, but with 10A-40A 2800mAh, will it just last as it’s rated?

For a 2.8 amp light you shouldn’t need high drain cells, Look at HKJ’s site where he shows discharge curves for the various cells. Looking at Cree’s data sheet as long as the cell is over about 3.4v you it should the light should still be at full brightness.

You might want to look at the Eagle Eye X6 It’s a bigger head but it still fits nicely in a jacket pocket, the extra size meant it will run cooler at the same power level as a little tube like the Convoy S2.

mA on the driver is current to the LED.

mAh on the cell is a rating of the cell's capacity. A higher capacity cells holds more energy, so it would last longer at the same current. The mAh rating and discharge current aren't directly related. I.E., a 3500mAh cell doesn't provide 3.5A; it can provide more (or less) current depending on the quality of the cell, but it can provide current for a longer time at the same current.

Any decent cell should be adequate for any of the lights discussed in this thread. The high-current 30A cells are for hot-rod flashlights that need higher current for peak performance. Example being, a direct-drive triple.

But it will not hurt the flash light either?

That was the last flashlight I order for a wail….I have now so many flashlights coming in that I can supply whole Norway. :smiley:

If you are buying the Convoy then it is best to buy them directly from Simon on Aliexpress. He will give discount on multiples. As cheap as the lights are it is worth it to buy more than one as you did and see what you prefer. There will always be a use for the one in the bathroom regardless of power. LOL

Also as already mentioned - take a look at the Eagle Eye A6 (tube like S6) and the Eagle Eye X6. Both are available at Banggood and are no larger than the Convoy S2 in length. The X6 does have a bigger head but still very easy to carry. (Remember BLF as a code gets you an additional 8% discount)

There is also this BLF A6 which should be going into production in the next couple weeks.

Last, for an even shorter light but more expensive than the Convoys you can get the new Sunwayman G25C for $35 on a deal right now (have to PM me for details and code)

+1 for the Eagle Eye A6 @BangGood, as Nikola recommended, though as a host, I still like the RED S2+ better, but sounds like the modes and driver are definitely better in the A6. I program my own drivers, so stock modes I don't pay attention much to.

2.8A in any of these tube lights will get hot - I've had one 2.8A S3 get untouchable when someone grabbed mine at work and laid it on the floor on Hi for a few minutes. The great feature about all quality LED lights is the high temps don't seem to bother them much, nor quality cells when heated. Also, 2.1A will get quite hot when run for several minutes, just takes a little longer. Of course it doesn't mean I won't run one even higher. I got a Roche/Convoy F6 which is basically as small or smaller than these tube lights and I run it at over 5A. In 15 seconds it's get'n warm, on 45 secs - too hot to touch the head.

It's all a trade-off - size vs. heat, for the most part. An Eagle Eye X6 does have a nice balance between size and heat sinking.

As far as tints, it's all personal preference, but the warm tints will have less output. I personally really like the T5 5B1's - that's what I have in my Roche/Convoy F6, and I can't see yellow - I just see a nice milky, cream white. The 7A tint is too warm for my liking. In neutrals, I like the 4C but others prefer the 4D. To me now, 1A/1B/1C's are just too blue, but they used to be my favorite tints, but mostly because I was caring more about lumens than tint. Some guys truly prefer a bright white, which the 1A's provide.

You should definitely try to keep up with the on-going group buys. bugsy36's GB on the A6 is definitely one to consider at or near the top of the list. Also, the GB goin on for the Lucky Sun D80 is another exciting one: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/31339. Both are moderate priced and excellent deals for what you are getting. The copper DTP MCPCB's is an important feature in bot these - rare to find retail in these price ranges, but copper DTP MCPCB's is our only choice when modding - definite must for high power and also helps when pushing these tube lights at 2.1A to 2.8A.

And I did order a new Sunwayman G25C Cree XM L2 U2 1000Lm. Gearbest had it for $37