What flashlight trends would you like to see in 2023?

Olight discovering high CRI emitters and getting rid of proximity sensors (or at least the ability to indefinitely disabling them).

Yes, as clientequator and Lojik point out, Fireflies is part of the trend I’d like to see of efficient drivers with proper moonlight (and anduril is nice). Unfortunately the launch of their new shop & products didn’t go very smoothly, their lights are v expensive, and personally I don’t like the very floody beam you get from many emitters under a TIR. It is a very encouraging step though! I wish the drivers were available separately

It looks like the new Olight Baton 3 Pro Max can disable it! That's at least an interesting feature..

Yes I agree a rotary control ring will be nice, not many manufacturers implement it.

I was thinking something like this as well: firmware that can be configured on a PC or smartphone and then “flashed” via bluetooth or USB allowing users to add or delete modes, decide where blinking modes go etc. This would be my number 1 request for 2023.

Control ring 0-100% (infinite, not stepped output) with Hi CRI options and magnetic (or maybe USBC) charging. Also 21700+ batteries - 1/3 the way there way there with the SRT6i - Am I the only 1?

A control ring with a ramping UI more or less requires a potentiometer or encoder. HDS has such an arrangement with their Rotary. A Surefire U2-style scheme could possibly work if the whole thing were set up as an encoder with a minimum of 3 sets of sensors.

Not sure the HDS is stepless? And surefire don’t do hi cri.
Both HDS/Surefire don’t have 21700 or onboard charging.
Nitecore/niteyes/jetbeam/sunwayman/fenix/eagtac and others (wether they copied or not - this is a budget light forum) have been doing good “magnetic” rotory control ring lights for years and are affordable.

Don’t know the specifics - just know they have the basic hardware for a ramping interface.

The U2 design is also going on 20 years old and seemingly wasn’t iterated on.

Indeed. Was speaking to examples of the rotary UI I was familiar with. HDS has been producing minor variants on a common theme for more than a decade and Surefire seems to be leaning on their prestige - both demanding top dollar.

A 18650 headlamp capable of 800lm sustained, preferably high cri

+1

Olight recently had a limited edition i5R HCRI, but it didn’t seem to sell that quickly. I’m sure upon seeing that, Olight is going to be against adding more high CRI emitters. The Ofanbase seems more interested in different colored bodies than light quality.

I love the light though and while the LED is no Nichia or even SST-20, it’s still a big step up from Olight’s usual emitters.

I hope that is carried onto the next gen of the Warrior and Warrior Mini.

All of this. In particular the RGBW lights (like the wk40).

I’m sure if they sold the i5R HCRI in something other than just blue, it would sell OK. Acebeam made the Pokelit AA high CRI by default.

• Eliminate two way pocket clips.
  • Hide or eliminate moonlight & strobe modes.
  • More lights with simple UI.
  • More AA & AAA lights.

I got one of these on a whim…partly to support their efforts (haha?) but mostly so I can unwrap that 2.4v cell and see what’s going on there.

They sold out right away on the Olight website. They were in stock at Amazon, though, and I think that may be where Olight put most of the stock (they sell a crap ton on Amazon apparently).

It’s an ok light. Not my usual style and I’m not real fond of the switch, but it’s simple and functional and the constant output is great (until it suddenly goes black with no warning……). I can’t quite pin it down but I’m sure it’s an Osram flavor. The ring of orangey phosphor is an interesting approach. I think it’s on par with the SST20 given the low level of current, but the 519A is certainly nicer and I think even those Latticepower csp’s that Wurkkos is using look a bit nicer than this Osram.

Personally, the vivid blue is what sealed the deal for me. Now to get about to unwrapping that mystery cell….

From what I saw, they still had them in stock on Olight’s website during the next sale they had. From what I’ve read, it’s an Osram P9. It’s not quite as nice as my SST-20 equipped lights, I’m guessing less R9, but probably on par with the few LH351D lights I have. I personally like the switch, I have zero worries about it getting turned on accidentally in pocket in self destruct mode unlike some other Olights….

I was thinking about 26800 flashlight yesterday.

I totally agree with you.

Like what range? Lumintop Ant LEP was below $90 last year.

I see quite a lot of complaints about UI’s and I have to agree, many would have been great flashlights have been ruined by their UI’s. Would be awesome if someone could suggest simple standardised UI’s for certain categories of flashlights and manufacturers would adopt it.

I have bought flashlights and when I go through the UI I wonder how this could have ever made it to the production line…

Turbo should NOT be remembered!

The UI on the Sofirn SP36S was quite good and the UI on the C8G with dual switches including a forward clicky tail switch was great.

I like the variety of new colours that flashlights are offered in, hope this trend continues.

High CRI 4000/5000K floody throwers. I love floody throwers, hopefully more to come. Maybe a Q8Pro or HK05/HT50Pro with XHP50.3 HI 5000K’s.

More fully regulated efficient drivers.

Better QC, I’d rather pay $10 more than receive something that’s not working correctly. It’s not a lottery after all…

Edit:
PhantomPhoton +1 customizable UI