What flashlight trends would you like to see in 2023?

I prefer the simplicity of the Manker UI. To me, Anduril is waaay overkill techy, but I know I’m in the minority on this forum.

It doesn’t look like a version of P9 that I’ve been able to see online, but perhaps it is. I can’t recall the models now but it looked more like those in a different product line, still not quite the same. I asked Olight and they wouldn’t spill the beans.

I don’t have a single SST20 behind a plastic optic and the ones I have in reflectors are all larger diameter, but attempting to run those singles at a similar low current as what the Olight is providing, the 5000K looks very similar to my eyes and the 4000K high cri is considerably warmer but around the same-ish tint (that’s a really subjective thing by eye, though). The SSTs don’t come into their own until you give ’em some juice. Yes, lower R9 (and 15 and others) is a given on this one, certainly can see that by eye, but it’s still pretty decent. At least they tried again and hopefully they’ll keep on that path with options and better quality light.

I’d like to see all the 11 year old girly pastel colors all disappear.
Drop the ignorant recycling symbols fake CE or hot symbols on lights .
Stop carving up good knurling to make a place to splatter a logo. Show some class and make a light that isn’t embarrassing tacky .

Make an ala carte driver where you can pick any mode off a list and download it via a common usb charger .
Better ano / better sophisticated colors.
dump the stupid split tail caps . If you wear a glove go buy one if the myriad of ignorant lights made with them … give me a rock solid tailstander .
I’d like to have a beacon mode without any other flashy modes that I have to cycle thru .

I’d love to see companies stop selling the 90,000 lumen pocket lights for $10 that run on a pair of AAs. My buddy just bought one and the website had a guy walking around with a light that looked like it could cut a tree in half. I told him that it was BS and he said “well maybe it’ll be 40,000 or 50,000…”

He got it and said it’s not even as bright as the light on his cell phone

1 Options for carbon fiber/magnesium bodies
2 Be able to change firmwares via the type-C slot
3 More use of OLED screens
4 Wireless charging where I can stick it on any of my mobile phone wireless chargers around the house and work.
5 Bluetooth so you can download an app and play with firmware settings and see other data or even record data for graphs etc.

usb,neutral tint of led,maximum turbo….one cell …dont need more:)

I wish there was less tacticool torches. They have their place but some places wouldn’t allow them and I think having colours other than black are a good thing. A 7 D maglite or a Surefire Incan with 60 lumens and a bezel with sharp edges looks like a weapon but brighter lights that are green or red aren’t seen as such.

Combo of flood and throw more powerful than Olight Marauder Mini, but much cheaper, using three ordinary 21700 cells, with Midnight Blue as a colour option :money_mouth_face:

1) Constant current driver for Anduril lights.
FET+1 is nice, but only steps level 4 and below are regulated (I think, based on my usage of my new SP36 Pro A2), while level 5 and above run through the FET, CMIIW. FET+3 or +4 will rock: regulation up to level 7 and then the FET handles the Turbo.

2) Accurate and honest marketing.
Accuracy: independently measured brightness, throw, and runtimes less than 90% of claims should be called out and rating penalized by reviewers.
Honesty: stop using “theoretical” BS numbers, please, thanks.

3) Rock-solid quality control. “Good enough” does not cut it.

LED Lenser is the champion of using B.S. numbers.

As for high Q.C. Ford once said we can make a car as nice as a Rolls Royce with fit and finish only it would cost a whole lot more. Good enough makes for the really low price you see with Maglite. Just look at Tektite or Malkoff for a 2xAA flashlight thats made in USA. They cost $100+. I don’t think normal consumers will pay a lot for a light and Maglite performs miracles when it comes to pricing probably because the R&D is done decades ago for the most part and they are really able to mass produce.

No glue or threadlocker in assembly.
Increased availability of replacement/spare parts.
Captive, deep carry pocket clips (for applicable formats).
Constant frequency strobe (if strobe is a feature of UI).
Flat tailcaps with recessed, low-profile lanyard attachments that don’t interfere with tail standing or rip your hand up…
More “kit” options (magnetic tail caps, tube sizes, diffusers, clips, bezels, lenses, etc.).

Letschat7, I agree. And I think Ford at least doesn’t treat customers like unpaid beta testers. So flashlight manufacturers should still strive for bug-free quality standards.

YESSSS!!!

I am waiting for good chargers
in flashlights in 2023.
QC 2-4A for 18650/21700 , power bank features with QC, compact and efficient , waterproof dustproof.

Waterproof is always a great feature. If I get caught out in the rain its most likely going to be for hours at a time.

Things I’d like to see for 2023 and the future.

1. Carbon fiber body and as artistic adds, like on bezels and clips.

2. 26800 batteries.

3. Triple 21700’s soda can lights.

4. Large COB lights with handles.

5. Nearly bomb and water proof builds that still work after dropping.

I sure wish a lot of lights were drop proof. Some you have to treat like babies, such as X21.

BLF GT medium size

Ok you guys will think I’m living in fantasy land… I want a high efficiency, high output emitter like the mighty SBT 90.2 with my favorite color E21A R9050 2000K

You’re prob wondering what I’m smoking here but it’s just some single malt :slight_smile: