What flashlight trends would you like to see in 2023?

I want a bazillion lumems

Already been done. Check ebay.

Besides this, I would add:

Lumintop Frog and GT Nano versions with Anduril 2!

I am modest in my requirements :innocent:

I no way would I want standardized UIs as we all have different requirements. For example, some people actually want memorized strobes and direct access to turbo.

Haha yeah and the fake YouTube reviews saying how incredible they are. Here’s the one my gullible friend bought

https://www.coutosy.com/products/led-rechargeable-tactical-laser-flashlight-90000-high-lumens

I’d like to see regression back to using springs on drivers instead of solid posts. And if physical polarity protection is to be used instead of a good electronic circuit, then for gosh sakes make it so that I can use flat top cells instead of button-only.

These two trends over the last couple-few years have been rather irritating and limiting at times.

I would also like to see cheaper LEPs.

Or perhaps a Pogo Pin-style Battery Contact (2nd photo) on both the tailcap and driver ends made from better metals like Beryllium Cooper. Maybe? (EagleTac uses this type on some of their lights)

Manker Crown technology in other brands. :slight_smile:

The fewer moving parts the better as far as electricity is concerned. I don’t know if they’re typically like this, but the one you linked has a 2A rating with 3A peak (no time frame given for that) and 20 milliohm resistance. I think these days most lights would easily surpass this current rating, even 14500 models.

Geezus 'C' , it's an enclosed spring for a flashlight, not intended for use in an atom splitter.

My bad though! I suppose I should have added a disclaimer clearly stating that I'm merely suggesting a "-style" of battery connection, and that the linked photo is meant for illustrative purposes only because someone like 'Correlux' might otherwise over analyze said suggestion into oblivion. Hey, on bright side, at least your feedback didn't require a 1,000 word essay!

You know I'm just teasing 'C'! I hope you know how much I appreciate all that you offer the forum. (Though maybe you could bullet point some of your longer posts for those like me who fall asleep from reading novels...again teasing!)

Cracks knuckles

WHAT I WANT:

- Dual BeCu C17530 springs in all of the lights. Both on the positive electrode and negative electrode. A good compromise would be Dual PCu springs for lower costs.

- MOSFET mechanical switch. Ultimate current handling with a mechanical switch design.

- Slightly better charging algorithms and conservative parameters for lights with integrated charging :slight_smile:

- More lighted switches.

- More buck and boost drivers with adaptive voltage limits for max power use: as you up the current, lower the minimum SOC voltage require for full power. Why? Well, at low currents, the voltage drop caused by conductors and internal cell resistance is negligible. At higher currents, it is not so it must be compensated to get more energy out of a cell.

- More potted drivers :slight_smile:

- More lights with TIRs over reflectors! TIR lenses have a big advantage over reflectors due to higher lighting efficiency: direct and reflected light can be used, while reflectors can only use the direct light. This is less of an issue with domed LEDs, but it still exists.

That’s about it.

After seeing how the chip shortage affected new and used vehicle prices, I now realize what I’d like in 2023: an LED shortage. That way I can sell some of my older (like, 10-15 year old) flashlights for hundreds of dollars each… :sunglasses:

How ?

Why not Power delivery instead (or additionally), it’s the USB standard.

Oh come on now, don’t get all….tied up in knots.

Exactly. lol :beer:

I want more incandescent lights. I got this cheap 80 watt Chinese HID on amazon years ago and love it. I would also like Maglite to bring back the 7D and add a 8D as well.