What 'good' 26650's??

I have been using the Lii and King Kong. The King Kong pulls a little more current in the S70 DD but sags faster than the Lii. I am going to stick with those 2 since I am not planning on using protected cells unless there is no LVP in the light they go into.

Don’t suppose you have a link to the Lii ones do you? Thanks :slight_smile:

I think the Liitokala 26650s are the best around now.
http://www.gearbest.com/batteries/pp_360840.html

I’m happy with the Keeppower 5200mAh Protected batteries, but they can be a bit long for some lights, but that raised flattop adjusts nicely with a little pressure :slight_smile: I understand the later versions of this light are a bit shorter (early ones were a bit long for the R40 before adjustment). I’m using a couple EVVA wrapped Protected 5200mAh batteries in my L6, and one in the D.Q.G. and they are working very fine. I have a couple Soshine to test, but need more good 26650 lights to be released so I can try them.

4 x Liitokala 26650”s for £16 http://www.gearbest.com/batteries/pp_360842.html

The original Lii 5000's are outstanding, best battery on the planet, in my opinion - I've said this before. However there is a "new" or different version out now which I understand/been told it doesn't perform as well. I only have a dozen of the old ones - no new ones. The Lii's (I call them LK's) are higher capacity than what's rated and based on the labeling, I really thought they were an upgrade of the "Powerizer", which at one time, was the reigning planet king of Li-Ion cells.

Here's the dedicate thread on the Lii's/LK's: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/39804. Thanks to Mitko for bringing it to everyone's attention.

Only downside I find with them is the flat/flush top and bottom. Usually need to add magnets in the charger and can't be 2S'd without solder blob or something added.

The BASEN 4500's are also pretty good performance, less than the Lii's, but have a nice protruding top, like a SANYO GA, so can charge and 2S easy.

This post by Mitko describes the "new" Lii's: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/39804/188, news isn't good.

Thanks, ordered the 4 pack from Gearbest.

Agreed Tom E but even the “new” version Liitokala 26650, if that is what you receive, is still genuine 5,000ma capacity & only a couple of hundred less ma max amp drain.
They are still the best performing 26650 out there & better performing & much cheaper than Keeppower, Basen etc.
I have all 3 brands I have mentioned.
FWIW the cells in the GB 4 x 26650 pic has the original serial number (ending with an A & not a B) although it could just be that GB has not updated it”s pics.
iirc the same thing happened with the 4,500ma Basens in that they released a new “improved” version after the original that was less capacity & lower max drain.
Either way a genuine 5,000ma & reasonably high max amp drain capable 26650 cell for £16 or $20 for 4 is a very good deal.
My Keeppowers cost about £12 each or $15 each so 3 times the cost of the Liitokala”s & perform nowhere near as good, my Basens were also dearer & not as good performing.

Agreed, my Liitokala’s are by far the best performing 26650 battery I have. All of them are at least 100mAh above the rated 5000mAh, with all but 2 of the 12 over 5200mAh.
I have other 26650’s, Shockli & EVVA that are fairly close to the advertised rated capacities.
But the MKNE & IMREN are not even close.

All batteries were tested the same way on the same Liitokala Lii 500 using the NOR Test.

I am extremely pleased with the Liitokala’s to say the least. :+1:

:slight_smile:

According to this Test/Review of LiitoKala INR 26650 5000mAh cells. @CandlePowerForums, differences between “INR26650-50A” and “26650-50B” cells seem to be quite irrelevant. I'd say both cells are close enough to be 0K to use them in series, yet I'd stick to pairing As with Bs and vice versa.

“A” & “B” cells: 26650-50Bs from Hengji Battery; “C” cell: INR26650-50A from PLB.

Hell, this is actually a good thing; never seen AWT and other @#$% rewrappers changing whatever it is inside without any sort of subtle mention about it on the wrapping? Piss poor product policies… :FACEPALM:

Enjoy!

Cheers ^:)

Those tests and results certainly don't match up to what Mitko describes. Plus the tests show nothing on internal resistance, only capacity. Could be the "50A" was already downgraded, so Mitko is referring to an old 50A and new 50A - dunno, but clearly there's something strange goin on, but the test result is limited to 10A, so not very useful.

The plb.com.cn site at least shows discharges at different currents, and appears to perform above 5000 for 2C and below, but I don't read Chinese, soooo little tuff.

I can’t explain Mitko’s results, but some variation in people’s capacity measurements is expected due to different accuracies of the current meters in chargers.

For what it’s worth, I tested an “A” version back in July and my result is consistent with the CPF discharge curve above.

Tom E, the link Barkuti provided tells the rest of the story… things such as Internal Resistance, etc.

Barkuti’s Link

I’ve been using the new 2015 version Keeppower protected 26650’s with good luck. High capicity and protection seems to be rare with 26650’s, and they’re under 70mm.

Hhmm - couldn't find it in the OP. It's hard to interpret one measurement. I know HKJ's system well because there is so many tested. For example, the really good cells are 0.04 ohms (30Q, EFEST IMR 4200), while the best # I've seen is the VTC6 at 0.03 ohms. I think the good Lii would test out at 0.03, but only guessing.

IR is in bold about 2/3 down.

Test/Review of LiitoKala INR 26650 5000mAh cells.

These cells entered our life with a bit of mysterious fleur - Price
is ridiculously low, the “brand” is widely known in the narrow field
of flashaholics and battery=dreamers, due to it’s “analyzing”
chargers (but no word about batteries on their website). More haze is
added by a bunch of Opus 3100 “analyzing” charger users, which are
showing photos of chargers, measuring these cells as 5500mAh. As I’m
working on certain project, where high current is needed, but usage
of LiPo’s is not welcomed, these cells appeared to be the right
choice for me, so I ordered 3 of them. Why 3? because my project
initially was using 3S lipo battery. Ordered them at gearbest, using
the following links for 1 cell and 2 cell pack:
http://www.gearbest.com/batteries/pp_360840.html
http://www.gearbest.com/batteries/pp_360841.html delivery to
NJ, US took about 1 month. So finally they arrived, I’ve unpacked
them, and found out that these are different cells! See it by
yourself:

Click here to view the original image of 999x664px.

Click here to view the original image of 999x803px.

The single packed battery is a bit darker, is marked as INR26650-50A,
while 2 pack is marked as 26650-50B and are bit ligther, and with
more deeply located positive pin. The “brand” Liitokala, is affixed
to cells, by means of transparent tape:

Click here to view the original image of 999x892px.

For testing purposes, I will call 2 pack cells “A” and “B”, and will
call single pack cell as “C” cell.
As online shops love to show inflated specs for the batteries, I
decided to do a search, and find real manufacturer of these cells, so
I can have more precise information about cells available. By using
help from a skilled Chinese friend, I was able to determine (with
high probability, around 99%) makers of these cells. In case of “C”
cell, this is Chinese company, called “PLB”:
http://www.plb.com.cn/Products/rlx5000mas.html In case of “A” and
“B” cells, maker is “Hengji Battery”, website and battery specs were
not found. Assuming that cells should be mostly similar, I will use
specs for battery “C”, as a reference for others too. So, specs are
as follows:

Capacity: 5000mAh
Charge current: 2.5A
Charge cut-off current: 100mA
Nominal discharge: 5A, with 2.75V cutoff
Max. discharge current: 5C (25A)
So I will be using above data for testing (except cut-off voltage, as
practice showed, belov 3V, discharge to 2.75V delivered maybe 30-
40mAh, so I decided not to force cells to that extent).
The results are as follows:
Capacity, mAh:
Cell A: 4922
Cell B: 4900
Cell C: 5002
Energy, Wh
Cell A: 16.88
Cell B: 16.81
Cell C: 17.06
Internal resistance
Cell A: 22 milliohms
Cell B: 22 milliohms
Cell C: 23 milliohms
Weight
Cell A: 91.5 grams
Cell B: 91.2 grams
Cell C: 93.2 grams
Dimensions:
Cell A & B: 65.15mm length, 26.52mm diameter, Positive pin is about
0.5mm below shrink wrap.
Cell C: 64.82mm length, 26.62mm diameter, Positive pin is at level of shrink wrap.

Click here to view the original image of 999x626px.

Click here to view the original image of 999x1181px.

By looking at the above chart, the following conclusions can be made:
Cells “A” and “B” have almost similar curves, this means, they can be
used in series (temperature graphs are different, but explanation
will follow)
Cell “C” has different discharge curve, different temperature curve,
so it is appears to be really made at different factory.
For comparison, I’ve added curves in magenta color, from the previous test of Avatar INR 26650 cells, full review is here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/…dwide-delivery

Conclusion:
Great cells, but if you’re lucky to get batteries from same supplier. Even being different, they are still quite usable, even in series, but you will need spacer anyways. Also, above mentioned “Avatars” have higher charge current, 4.5A vs 2.5A, in case of these cells, this means approx two times lower charge time, but I haven’t seen any 26650 charger, which can deliver 4.5A. If you have hobby charger, than of course it will work just fine.
And about difference in temperature curves between “A” and “B” cell. I started test with “A” cell, positioned free in space, vertically. For “B” cell, I’ve placed it horisontally, and as can you see, temperature graphs changed a bit. So, tests with “C” cell, were also concluded in the horisontal position of the cell, free hanging in the air.

All batteries reviewed, were bought using my own money, and was not provided for review by anyone.

Thanks for reading, and have a nice day!

So, in all 2 parallel 18650s are lighter and have more capacity then any 26650…

That's nothing new Jerommel, the 18650 format has been extensively developed by the big brands with their powerful R&D departments. Now, how much resources/interest have the big ones diverted in 26650s? Little to nothing, you know.

Actually, it's sort of a blessing to have a 26650 battery which is about equal to a couple of good 2.5-2.6Ah 10A continuous 18650's, at this pricepoint. In fact, it's not that these batteries' pricing is “ridiculously” low, it's more like, due to the under-developed li-ion 26650 market state (compared to 18650s), all of the other contenders are ridiculously overpriced unprofessional rewrappers.

My ¢2.

Cheers :-)

I understand what you mean, but let’s say i take the rolled up inside of a 18650, and i roll around that another (unrolled) 18650 and then another one and i put this in a 26650 tube, i can make a 10200 mAh 26650 that can handle 15A with ease.
Panasonic or Sanyo should do that i.m.o.
O well, if, if…. :stuck_out_tongue:

one of the best 26650 you can get
http://www.gearbest.com/batteries/pp_360842.html

and good price as well