What Is It About TINT ? ( and CRI and °K )

I have too many lights (and batteries).

It is all YOUR fault since I joined this forum.

But ALL my favourite lights are Cool White, or tint 1A

Tonight I dug out and used an older Blue Convoy S2+ and it is warm-white. I really do not like it.

I am not sure if it is 3C or worse, but it just does not appeal to me.

I know some of you hate cool white. So it is a personal choice. But is it because our eyes see colour ( color) differently?
Probably so.

I am always envious of seeing motor vehicles coming toward me at night with those nice looking blue/white headlamps. They look so NEW.

Incandescent is dead.

So, from my perspective, cool-white is KING.

And while ranting, what is the attraction to square-cut threads? Is it better because it is harder to set up your lathe to cut them? Perhaps this should be in it’s own topic :slight_smile:

Almost all parts (emitters) and lights I buy are cool-white. it seems to be the tint which is widely available and build into new lights that are sold.

I actually tried using ebay vouchers, gearbest points and all on non-CW tints and they are hard to find at times.

Personally, I have no issues with CW and I got used to this tint by now. however there is also a variation (technical margin) within the same tint bin - Most of my convoys are U2/U3 1A but they don’t all look the same.

When I first started, I used to see people talking about NW and WW and think “TINT SNOBS” to myself. Now pretty much everything I carry is at least NW. These days I EDC a Ti4 NW and Ti5 NW and they both lean well into WW, and I love the creamy tint. Maybe it’s easy on my old eyes. I also do a lot of work on computers and networking where the warmer tints show the wire colors better. Now I’m the tint snob.

For photography I only use CW because that’s what my SL1 seems to see as pure white set to AWB, and it’s a whole lot less work when the camera sees white on its own.

No, all the 1As that I have are a little different. But I still prefer them.

I also am old and have recently retired from a life of PC software development. I know little about colors and photography but I do know my personal preference is for CW.

It is very interesting how we all have such preferences and how we see things differently. Seems to me like it is very subjective, and not quantifiable. I know what I like. Others like something different. I am happy with what I like. C’est la vie.

I started with cool white lights and did not like the tint. Then I discovered neutral white and it was not good enough. Then I did my first 219A 4500K 92 CRI mod and it was way better but too cool. Then I really bacame to aporeciate the Cree 6A1 80CRI, just over 3500K is exactly my favorite tint, but the reds were too orangy to me, too much deep red missing. Trying the 4000K 219B 92CRI now, and 96CRI 4500K Oslon SSL80, but I doubt that they will be perfect enough for me, the 3500K 96CRI is unavailable at the moment.

My house is lighted with 80 CRI Philips and Osram bulbs. I recemtly replaced one with a 87CRI Ikea bulb, and in my worklight is a 96CRI 4000K remote phosfor Yuji bulb. When they become available, all 80CRI bulbs will be replaced by 90CRI minimum.

Thanks for your input.

Maybe it is where we live. I am in a sunny area, never see snow. I have an outdoor area with BBQ overlooking a nice blue ocean. When I first moved here I had warm-white bulbs in my outdoor area. Now I dislike them. I want to move to all Cool White. But why?

Remember when not so long ago all you had was a Maglight that gave all of one rapidly dimming yellowish “emitter” choice? And later when all flashlight LED’sd were bluish?

You get a choice now unlike before, and that is good. I like cool white for throwers as they seem to illuminate better and warmer white for floodys so the colors look better. Then again my color-vision is ‘officially’ awful even though I can correctly identify every one of a tracer-coded 32 wire bundle every time.

I give the “tint snobs” their due even though I’m not one- had it not been for somebody wanting better we’d still have bluish lights.

Phil

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Mike

Looks like you guys are talking about three different things and calling it all by the same name. When I first started, I knew nothing, so everything I’m about to say came from this forum. Therefore, help me out if I’m wrong somewhere.

What the OP is actually talking about is referred to as color temperature, not tint. The LEDs are generally categorized with different color temperatures (Cool, Neutral, Warm, or 6000k, 4000k, 2000k for example). Then, for the discerning, the emitters are binned according to tint. The tint is like another granular level beyond color temp. The LEDs are not perfectly balanced in how much red, green, blue, etc that they produce. So, the tint tells you which direction the emitter leans within its range of color temperature.

Around here, it seems that the most avid tint snobs prefer a rosy tint, meaning that the emitter is higher in red output compared to the other colors. Even with neutral, and to some degree, cool white emitters, it is technically possible to get a red-leaning color spectrum. But, it is rare to be seen, or at least, noticed, in any but the warmer color temperatures. So, if you want a rosy tint, that preference is most likely to lead you to choose a warmer color temperature LED. Recently, we’ve seen the possibility of a rosy tint with even the cooler side of neutral, in the A6-SE group buy, with the 3D tint we were offered. But, as has been mentioned before, our eyes will see things differently. To some people, it won’t be rosy enough unless it is warm.

The other aspect that has been mentioned here is CRI. Color rendering Index is another characteristic of light sources, including LEDs, that is different from, though affected by, the color temperature and the tint of the emitter. The CRI is what determines how well you can differentiate colors with a certain emitter. Higher CRI is almost always associated with lower color temperature and rosier tint. The highest CRI emitters you can get are all warm white with a rosy tint. So, it is sometimes assumed that warmer and redder LEDs will make your colors pop. This isn’t necessarily true. Although following the trail to higher CRI will always lead you to redder lights, following the trail to redder lights will not always lead you to higher CRI.

One other thing about light. The blue end of the visible light spectrum scatters more than the rest. Not only that, but I think I read that blue doesn’t focus perfectly on the retina. For both of these reasons, anything lit with a bluer light will appear less defined. That’s why bluish headlights are terrible for actually seeing anything, especially in fog. And they produce an awful glare for oncoming vehicles. Because of this knowledge, which I’ve only gained by being here, my preference in color temperature has changed over time.

I’ve always liked brighter, “cleaner” looking cool white. The 1A was perfect to me. Now, I prefer cool-neutral, around the 3D tint of the A6-SE. It still looks white to me. In fact 4000k looks too warm to me. But, I’ve noticed that my eyes are still changing. My preference is still moving further away from the cold end. I’ve read on here how others have had similar experiences. Perhaps there is a mechanism of novelty going on in our brain. Maybe we made an association of colder light being newer technology, compared to the old incandescent bulbs. So, we prejudiced ourselves in some way. Once the newness wears off, and we become more familiar with the technology, our true preference is allowed to come back into focus. To some people, that will be warm white. To others, neutral. And to still some, the allure of cool white will always be there, but maybe for different reasons.

I to prefer cool white as the beam is white 1a or 1d are best for me.

When people talk about better cri in neutral and warm emitters i dont see it that way,

I see neutral as casting a yellow tint and warm casting an orange tint making things look dirty and un natural.

Beamshots and camera auto balances seem to exaggerate cool whites and give a false impression of a blue tint.

Which color temp/tint/CRI would I need working on black cars, in a dark garage, with most parts and tools covered in grease and mostly greyed out/black?

because atm when I light up the engine bay it all looks sorta greyish/black and I can’t see a lot - even with light.

my eyes are not the best but I would like to differentiate between some of the things in front of me.

thanks.

Best for what you want, I think, is high CRI, high colour temperature, so a very hot halogen, like a halogen construction light. If you want led, perhaps a Lumileds 'Crisp White' COB led.

Thanks - I tried all sort of CREEs now and was going to jump on the Nichia bandwagon - but wasn’t sure whether consumer LEDs were the solution after all. I do see stuff, it’s not entirely bad but I guess a dark garage and a dirty engine bay is pretty much the worst case for color rendition anyhow.

It is messy place for a light.

Once I dropped a black solarforce in the engine bay and wasn’t able to find it for half an hour.

One time outdoors I got a stick in my eye, a twig really, the guy in front of me let the branch swing back and not having eye protection on, it smacked me in the face… I put my hand to my eye and felt a twig sticking out of my eye… OH CRAP… Dark as it was, I called out and panicked, pulling the twig out… My buddy came over and I told him what happened. I was looking up so as not to let the fluid drain out (now I was thinking?) my head still spinning from the branch smacking me… My buddy takes a look with his flashlight after prying my hand away, all I could see was a very dim light… oh no… He then checked my “good” eye… same light…. What the??! His incandescent mini maglite was on sublumen levels with the battery…. Turned out the impact of the branch had masked that the twig had gone between the eye and lower lid, it scratched the eyeball, but not too bad for what it could have been… I really thought I had lost my eye at first. Never really liked incandescent flashlights after that scare, but what others did we have back in the early 90’s?

I liked the 1A for a while, bright as all get out, top bins for output… all the normal reasons… I did NOT like the warmer tints at first, perhaps it was due to the old Incandescent lights that always seemed to give almost enough light for what you wanted…

Then I started using a headlamp and decided to go warmer and have never looked back for up close work. There is much less glare and usually better color rendering UP CLOSE with the warmer tints…. I picked up some real warm tint 219A’s at Fasttech for less than a buck each. Had to reflow them and, they are warm, but very nice in a total darkness situation, almost no impact to my night vision when turned off in the dark… Red, green or other colors would be less, but do not show as much detail as these Very Warm tints.

The mid tints of around 4000K to 5000K are easier on my eyes for long term use, so they are more my preference now. I think the longer you have to use the lights in darkness, the warmer tints you will like.

To me, how much you use the light is what dictates the tint, long use and the cooler tints become “grating” to my eyes. I have a set of blue block coated lenses on one of my glasses. This helps, but the bluer end of the spectrum like 1 and 2 series of tints are harsher to me. Bright, but harsh. On a ten minute a night thrower, cool white is the king, just a lot of light…

I have the Nichias in 219B and C versions, they are nice, but not essential. I do not see the “pop” of colors that others do, but when using the lights they have a pleasant rendering of the colors for me…. I am doing a group buy of some Osram Oslon 4000K high CRI LED’s right now as they seem the best light that I have used, though not the highest output.

I guess it is a quality of light versus a quantity of light in my use. Plus it is nice to have such a selection of tint for our lights… The warmer tints are NOT like incandescent colors to me anyway, they are more orange/red/yellow, but not like the bulbs of yore….

I just put an XPL HI in 7A tint in my bare BLF A6 yesterday… a perfect match for a light that the body appears cool white (bare aluminum) :bigsmile:

I dunno but I have liked the most that flashlight of mine, which hass least color/tint in the beam…
No green, no blue, no yellow, just plain white.
Cool white looks to my eye too blue, WW and even NW show some yellow, early R5 emitters were more or less green.

I was also not a tint snob BEFORE :smiley:

I think it's tint over CRI for me. I have tried some Cree 5700K - 90 CRI and wasn't impressed at all, as far as color rendition, but the Nichia 4500K - 92 CRI is just amazing for color rendition. That said, the older I get, the more I need a whiter light to see by. As my eyes get worse, I can't see by incandescent tint any more and anything below 5500K - 6000K is just too yellow or dim looking for me. I know it's just my eyes, as two years ago, I enjoyed 4500K. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Eyes are different but some things remain constant. Cooler whites show contrast better and come in higher flux bins. Earth tones look more natural with neutral > warmer color temps. For a given color temperature any bin above the back body locus appears to have more blue and below to have more red and this generally shows up in the corona. LEDs don’t start out producing white light and more output is lost painting the die with the mixture of phosphors needed to produce higher cri and warmer color temps. If recognizing what you prefer is snobbery count me in. I want it in lots of color temps all smack in the middle of the bbl.

Before ordering drivers and leds for a couple planned swaps I did a lot of searching and beamshot comparisons before deciding to order xm-l2 u2 3c leds. I’m still waiting for the host to be delivered but have since acquired a light with a t6 3c from another member and find that the choice was a good one for me. Looking again at the color temp illustration I might also like the 3d and 3a tints.

Yes, we all see and perceive color differently.

Remember that white/gold versus blue/black dress controversy last year?

And I’ve learned to withhold comments on certain colors with my wife. She and I see shades of blue/purple or blue/green differently. :stuck_out_tongue: