What is the best budget flashlight?

I’m thinking about getting an UltraFire C8 CREE XM-L XML T6 1300LM Flashlight.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UltraFire-C8-CREE-XM-L-XML-T6-1300LM-Flashlight-1x18650-3000mAh-battery-Charge-/271023202461?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item3f1a3de09d

It’s got a XM-L LED.
The 5 modes is a nice feature.
I checked completed auctions and this flashlight with a charger and battery sells for approx $15 bucks.

Is this a good buy?
Thanks

Hey djlod,
Here’s a US seller. I’ve bought several items from them. No problems at all. It will save you from having to wait several weeks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18650-UltraFire-C8-CREE-XM-L-XML-Flashlight-T6-LED-1000-Lumen-Torch-5-Mode-/190688809303?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item2c65f05157

He sells them with batteries, and batteries/chargers also.

I’m surprised no one has suggested the XinTD C8 from Int’l Outdoor. It’s very versatile and has very good quality and reliability! :slight_smile:

I don't want to hijack this thread, and I do not want to start another just for another light recommendation. I don't mean to step on your toes, OP. Feel free to tell me to get lost.

I recently lost my Fousevens light and because I was happy using my headlamp (until I wasn't) I haven't replaced it. The headlamp is only 50 lumens and it became a problem recently.

I'm a photographer and travel a lot so I would really need something in the AA battery range, not the more exotic batteries that I wouldn't be able to get my hands on in the third world in a pinch. And I have dozens of Sanyo Eneloop batts that I use for work, so Im hoping to just use AA or even AAA.

Other than that I need maybe 200 lumens at least, more the better. Cheaper the better. I really do not want to spend over $20, otherwise I would probably just replace the light I had for $60. Portability/pocket carry is a must.

Thanks for your time!

You can go for the Trustfire R5 A3. It uses one AA battery or a 14500 battery. I think using a nimh rechargeable it’s around 100 lumens on high, nowhere near 200. But you’d be hard pressed to find an AA light which outputs 200 lumens at under $20. But maybe I just lack knowledge in AA lights, since the R5 A3 is the only one i own.

We're all very glad to have you here, rjt378!

Welcome to BLF rjt378!

I would suggest you buying two lights:

- single-AA light for EDC: Balder SE-1 NW

- multi-AA light in case you need more light / throw: Cyclone C88 NW

Note that both lights have Neutral White emitters, which you (as a photographer) will like a lot!

Both of those lights work also as a port to LiIon world:

- SE-1 accepts a 14500 and is much brighter with that

- C88 will allow either 18650 or 26650, is somewhat brighter and runs longer

Welcome to the family, David!!

As others have suggested, I recommend you head to solarforce-sales.com and purchase an L2P, L2T, or an L2M host for under $20. Rock solid hosts and great construction. After that contact e1320 about one of his 5-mode p60 drop-ins in your choice of output and tint. For $40-$50 total you will have a light that will show you what a truly bright and versatile light really is.

No offense but in your first post you mentioned being accustomed to having a bright light. Having owned Surefire up to this point how could that have happened?? :~ :D

i think this is a great suggestion for both of you guys and there is available an extra battery tube for the balder as well ..

I don’t have any Solarforce lights so I can’t say anything about them. I do hear good things about them though.

To recommend something to you, I would have to ask what batteries you plan on using. I recommend either 18650 or AA NiMh lights. For under $40 I will list my favorite lights in each battery configuration. At least my favorites that I own or have used.

First 18650.
My number one light and favorite in this group is my Ultrafire UF-T50. I love this little light.
My next favorite is my Romisen RC-T601 from Shiningbeam. It’s under $30 and they have the updated version. I think it’s RC-T602 II. Very bright.
I have an Ultrafire C8 which is ok and inexpensive. I have the same light but called CitiPower X7-T6 and it’s a little brighter than the Ultrafire version.

In AA lights, My favorite is my Shiningbeam Caveman. Uses 2AA NiMh batteries and is a great light. Other 2AA lights I like are Klarus P2A and Jetbeam BA20.

Add Xtar WK25 to that list (roughly 20 bucks, no clip though). Optimized driver for NiMh only. Here you have an excellent review :smiley:

As for Balder SE1 - good light. BTW, I would suggest you an extension tube for use the light with 2xAA (~$5, the light itself… about $23).

Another great 2xAA light is ITP SA2 (you can find it with R2 and R5 bins). Top notch quality. For 1xAA I can recommend you Klarus P1A/Jetbeam BA10 also. These lights can cost you 35 bucks, but they are better quality than Xtar or Balder.

+1 :smiley:

There is also a pretty nice thrunite deal going on .. t10 and a ti for 30$ I'd be more than pleased with these ..2 great lights for 30$

I don't think any one has said anything I disagree with

My main issue is that if I am going to spend $40, then I might as well spend $60-70 on a new Foursevens Quark as I like the combo between spot/flood more than any other light I have owned, and their warranty. Except the whole idea is to not spend that much on a light that I can lose like I did last time. Clipped in my pocket it managed to come out at night in a forested area in South America. So that was as gone as can be.

I had been looking on ebay and saw plenty of small, no name AA AAx2 lights advertised at 200-300 lumens. I’m well aware of the Chinese manufacturers and how fast the technology is moving. It had been 3 years since I bought my light so I figured things had improved a lot in the AA class. My actual first light was the Fenix LD10 and I upgraded to the 2xAA Quark for more light.

Something like the Klarus P1A (a company I know of through a friend) and it’s price would work, but the thing is large. Even my Quark became a pain in terms of length. So a 1 battery light like the Fenix LD10 would be amazing, but I need more light.

So Im willing to adjust my expectations a bit and accept that price/performance seems to be with lithium batteries. My only issue is that they would have to be rechargeable as finding replacements in a bad situation in a lot of the places I travel simply is not an option (and packing/buying a bunch isn’t either). Those same areas are flooded with cheap, Chinese alkaline batts.

I get to travel a lot but I dont make a lot, so I’m also not interested in tossing coin at replacements, either.

So what is the difference between cr123 and 18650 aside from size (which seem to be the most popular here) and what are my options for recharging, best brands, etc?

-cheers

Thanks again for all the replies.

Initially I was looking for a flashlight that already was “assembled.”
After all of you help, I’m up to the challenge of “building” a flashlight.

Seems like a Solarforce L2 would be a great host.

I found one on ebay - Solarforce Flashlight Body L2 - 2010 Version
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-SELLER-NEW-Solarforce-Flashlight-Body-L2-2010-Version-Silver-Grey-/130724064284?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6fc2ec1c

I’m planning on using 18650 batteries.
Where do you guys purchase 18650 batteries and a charger?

Now I need a P60 drop in XML LED.
Any recommendations on modes?

shiny!! looks like a nice pants ripper :slight_smile: u can get drop in from kaidomain and manafront

Alright, I'm sticking with nimh and I think I will go with the "Hugsby P31":http://www.dealextreme.com/p/hugsby-p31-ha-iii-cree-q3-wc-160-lumen-led-flashlight-with-clip-1-aa-35078 for $14. It's only 160 lm but for $14 I will sacrifice a bit because losing a $70 light kind of sucked. Reviews show decent throw so it should be enough. The issue is that we rig a lot of lighting gear and sometimes high in trees.It could be 100ft or more.

Unless anyone can recommend anything else in this size I will place an order tomorrow.

Many Thanks. Im having a good time reading the forums.

edit: any thoughts on this?

Update: I picked up a flashlight.
I found a seller on ebay that sold me everything I needed.
Silver/Grey Solarforce L2 (2010 version)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-SELLER-NEW-Solarforce-Flashlight-Body-L2-2010-Version-Silver-Grey-/130724064284?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6fc2ec1c
Ultrafire XM-L LED T6 3-Mode P60 drop in (H/L/S)
Trustfire 18650 batteries
XTAR MP1S single bay charger
The seller’s name is Steve.
He’s really helpful and gave me a good deal.

Thank you everyone for all the advice!

Just FYI, that’s not an authentic solarforce body, and probably not genuine “ultrafire” drop in. But most “ultrafires” on the net aren’t the real thing. They’ll probably work fine, though.

IMO, the best budget light is for EDC is the xeno e03 nw. It’s better made than the cheapo stuff and current regulated instead of pwm electronics. ITP used to be the best value but they dropped some of their better models (like C7t) now that Olight reabsorbed them.

+1

You should also consider the beam style you want

XRE - pencil or razor type thrower in an Ultrafire G4 MCU (looks like a C8)

XML - mostly flood, hard to see any center spot outside - LOTS of light is the driver is set up to draw heavy (like 2.5+A), and it can be very efficient with good low modes

XPG - good balance between throw and flood with good sized spot and very usable spill (good choice for a P60 unless you really want flood)

Don’t know about that particular manufacturer but suggest you consider a package with battery and charger. My son got a C8 from TMart that was stocked in a USA warehouse and is very bright as delivered. I’ve see a whole package for about $20 give or take a couple dollars in the past.

EDIT - just got home from surgery and see you bought the ebay SF - congrats, and welcome to BLF!