What is the best light for 'Muggles' ? (aka non-flashaholics)

We all have friends who either don’t want to invest in 18650/lion batteries, or are too careless to be safe around them.

What flashlight do you recommend/give to them?

It would probably need to run on alkalines or Nimh, or have a built-in rechargeable battery and (safe) charger.

I’m thinking around/under $30, so they can be used as gifts.

Please suggest lights that are great as-is, but also some that may need a bit of work to be great.

I’ll try to keep a list of the suggestions in the 2nd post, so people can use it as reference.

1. Fenix E12 - AA
  2. Singfire 348 - AAA
  3. Thorfire TG05 - AA
  4. Xintd/Convoy X3 - AA/26650
  5. Rayovac Indestructible - AA
  6. Supfire L2 - AAA (with battery carrier)
  7. Hugsby XP-1 / XP-2 - AAA
  8. Nitecore MT2A - AA
  9. Ultrafire WF-606A - AA
  10. Terralux LightStar220 - AA
  11. Tank007 TK-556 - AA
  12. Brinyte ED30 - AA
  13. Ultrafire F13 - AAA (with battery carrier)

- Updated through post #17 -

Fenix E12 for AA
Singfire 348 for AAA

The thorfire TG05 is a great light for muggles. will not run on Lion batteries, but will run nimh and AA and is cheap. $20 I also did a small review on it.

502B or C8 with a (relatively) high quality triple AAA adapter? Or possibly even a Xintd/Convoy X3?

There are much brighter lights in AA format, but I've gifted the Rayovac Indestructible 2AA. Built like a tank, about 100 lumens, and pretty good battery life on nimh.

The Supfire L2 is still on sale for $7 shipped. I think it might even come with a AAA carrier? I'm unclear on that. You would need to buy a AAA carrier.

For sure the Hugsby XP-1 (AAA) and XP-2 (2AAA). I don't sell lights, but I have sold a good dozen of them because people really dig them. Heck, I dig em too. $4.59 here.

I like this light too and here is the link to the codes and everything. I have two of them and they are nice for the price.
Supfire F3-L2

Also mine came with a AAA carrier

Singfire SF-348 already mention is $5.88 at gear best
LINK

At the top or just above your price point, the Nitecore MT2A is a great light!

I still have a lot of love for

http://www.dx.com/p/ultrafire-wf-606a-3w-cree-flashlight-2xaa-1xcr2-4238#.VQH_KJseJDs

Used it for years until something died, so replaced the driver and upgraded to XPG2 R5. Gets a lot of use from the whole family.

I have a pair of these, and they’re my goto light for everyday stuff around the house.

A simple search of the forum will produce 100's of AA lights 2xAA lights etc .

566 tank is a favorite .. better with a nichia

I also like the Nitecore MT2A and the XinTD X3.

An alternative is the Brinyte ED30 if found under $20 (1 or 2xAA or 14500).

Why not get some nice Lights with CR123 on that list?!
anyone?

Single CR123 are fine, but I believe 2x have potential for boom boom, especially for muggles that might mix old and new cells.

Brinyte ED10 is CR123/16340, TrustFire Mini01, or the newer versions too. These are what I carry. My only other CR123 lights are out of the $30 budget.

I don’t think that CR123 (or RCR123) light would suit for muggles.
Just give them AA or AAA light with a warning: never use any alkaline batteries.

This @ $11.90

Very good build quality for the price, even came with protective film over the glass lens.
5 modes - Hi, Med, Lo, Strobe, SOS - no mode memory, always starts in Hi
Mine was supplied with a 26650 to 18650 adapter, an AAA carrier and a good quality lanyard.
I’m using it with 3 AAA’s and it’s bright with a nice neutral beam - bargain :slight_smile:

Updated list……. Bump

IMHO… A simple Mini Maglite Pro… 272 lumens for about $25 or so from Wally World, Holmes Depot, on-line etc… Simple 2AA twisty, very bright, works on alkalines or nimhs, durable and hard to eff up.

A couple bucks more will get you a pro+ with a low and high. Own both and love em’.

A charger and some nimh’s will probably make a new flashaholic!