What is the preferred format / shape of the BLF Giga thrower

I always hold any light like that. It’s called the “eye index technique”. Just came to be naturally, no one showed me, been doing that for as long as I remember, even as a kid.

…and you’re going to do that with a light this size? :open_mouth:

Why not? the size doesn’t make a difference in the ability to do so. If anything a heavier light is easier to hold this way, your hand/wrist resting on your shoulder instead of weight on your flexed bicep. And the extra range means this type of position would be even more effective.

The lantern/box style is even worse for holding slack at your side than a traditional flashlight shape. With a flashlight slack at your side, it’s mid-thigh height, the reflector centered in the middle of your grasp. With a lantern style, the handle is there, but the reflector is a few inches even lower, causing more shadows and blocked light from obstacles and glare on the ground.

… and I think a square box is unique, but ugly anyways. so there’s that :smiley:

My original suggestion btw was not a square box but a drum shape with cut-out for the handle. I may make a render of that for the sake of bringing the message (hand-drawn of course).

Hmm are you thinking like this? (but with a reflector instead of nozzle of course)

Yes, kind of like that. But wait, I have drawn something…

Ok, here we go. Note my fabulous computer skills :wink:

While making this drawing it occorred to me that the section that I posted before looks way cooler, this looks pretty boring actually :partying_face: perhaps a square box looks better in the end…or plunger style after all :weary:

The bottom section would have to be closed in to fit the batteries, I highly doubt we could fit enough just on the edges. If nothing else it would be simpler to line them up along the bottom instead of both sides.

Overall it is a nice search light / lantern / work light idea

Nice sketch djozz. :+1:

It looks nice Djozz, but it seems hard to use it in my favorite position, above the shoulder so I can see reflections better
For a work light this format is extremely useful

I agree, like I said in the other thread I think it would be ideal for a mega lumen monster. Next group project maybe?

I could see 7x XHP70 with about a 50mm reflector for each outputting 400 watts and ~35,000 lumens of fire starting power being truly epic with a massive heat sink on the back with a massive fan to help keep things cool as long as possible.

haha that would be something else indeed!

So like 20seconds then

lol, more or less. Although in reality I think that a “normal” ~1-3 mins on turbo would be possible with a much faster then normal cool down time with a properly designed heat sink and fan setup.

Computer heat sinks can cool ~150-200W or more long term and keep them at temps of ~60-70C. So I figure that a properly design fining would allow it to maintain at least 100W+ of power long term with bursts of ~300-400W before the temps got above ~100C (it could get hotter then normal if we insulated the handle and the fan would block direct contact with the heatsink, aka no burns).

7x 50mm reflectors would require ~160mm head. Might as well make this one that size, so your theme of re-using parts of BLF-designed lights can continue unabated! :wink:

7x 50mm reflectors would require ~160mm head. Might as well make this one that size, so your theme of re-using parts of BLF-designed lights can continue unabated! :wink:
[/quote]

LOL, that was my first and quite insistent suggestion to miller actually.

Make a combo light with a single big reflector for max production throw and then reuse everything else and replace the head with a multi-emitter setup for max production lumen output. My first suggestion was a single XHP35 thrower with a second reflector/head for quad XHP35’s or XHP70’s (quad XHP35’s could possibly match or beat the single emitter throw with 4x the lumens based on other lights results).

I would still like to do this and I think it is quite possible but after djozz box light suggestion I think that would make the superior lumen monster host, be it at a higher cost.

Either way it would need a new head for the multi-emitter setup and as such it would still be just as interchangeable as before, simply reuse everything below the head.

How about drawing some inspiration from the Palight Boss 1 which is a compromise between the two designs ? It has both a handle and a short battery tube. The BLF Giga Thrower would be simply bigger and fatter, like the Boss on steroids.

The Boss’s boss. :wink:

But the Boss is exactly what we’re calling a “plunger” here, just with 26650’s instead of 18650’s

…and as I said way back several posts, one of the ways I think would look sorta proportional is to use 26650’s so the tube would be wider, with a separate handle to hold the light by. To me, that is half-way between the two (box and plunger), like johny723 said. Others have suggested the same thing. But it isn’t what the majority wants, I guess.