What is the preferred format / shape of the BLF Giga thrower

The issue with 4x 26650 is that it is too big to hold like a normal light, so it becomes no different then the box setup and the box setup might as well be used IMO.

Although have you looked at the cad drawings? I do not that it is remotely un-proportioned when compared to many other loved lights.

Boxy, out of the box 27% (33 votes)

Traditional “plunger” 47% (58 votes)

plungery box? I don’t care, I just love voting in polls
5% (6 votes)

Boxy but very much OK with plunger 11% (14 votes)

Plunger but very much OK with box 10% (12 votes)

Total votes: 123

Plunger 58 + 12 = 70
Boxy 33 + 14 = 47

Plunger + the 14 votes boxy stating OK with plunger = 84
Boxy + the 12 votes plunger stating OK with boxy = 59

Ergo:

Plunger + the 14 votes boxy stating OK with plunger = 84

Plunger 58 + 12 = 70

Boxy + the 12 votes plunger stating OK with boxy = 59

Boxy 33 + 14 = 47

Plunger wins I think

One thing I like about the boxy design is if there is a provision to include a heatsink right behind the led shelf, with a copper path to outside and a small cpu fan mounted on it at the back, without any protrusions, and a perforated cap for the fan assembly. Could be awesome, But such a provision should be included from design stages itself. Then we can hotrod the hell out of it.

OK
Boxy, out of the box 30% (40 votes)
Traditional “plunger” 44% (59 votes)
plungery box? I don’t care, I just love voting in polls 6% (8 votes)
Boxy but very much OK with plunger 10% (14 votes)
Plunger but very much OK with box 10% (14 votes)
Total votes: 135

BOXY: 40+14=54
PLUNGER: 59+14=73

BOXY + plunger but OK with box: 54+14=68
PLUNGER + boxy but OK with plunger: 73+14=87

Can we declare the plunger as go to shape?

Yes, plunger it is!
Can it have the Boss-handle? (A handle attached to the tail I find more attractive than a handle attached to the head, even though a switch on the handle may not be possible).

Plunger looks like the go to design for this project. That said I think a follow up project with a lumen monster in the box form factor as a great option.

I agree a handle is a good idea. Only issue I see abut mounting it on the rear with a light this large is that the leverage force on the handle will be quite extreme with all that weight at the front. Beyond the balance issue with your grip, it will need to be one beefy handle. Attatching it to the head would be a much easier thing to design and make work.

Plus if we use the bottom half of the Q8 as the base, the head will have to be redone anyways. So adding a handle to it would be easy. In fact it could be made to screw into the tripod mount actually if there is not already something pre-made for that.

Thinking about handle, let’s do a tripod mountso people can make a handle or use a tripod as handle (I do this with a small metal tripod and the Warsun X65 all the time)

As long as it’s got a handle, I can live with a plunger.

(But I still prefer a box though.)

Yeah a handle would be a nice touch, just make sure that it is detachable.