what is this new 32 mm diameter 4xXP Noctigon board good for?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
The one in the middle should be an xml.

middle should be red xpe2 :slight_smile:

Dive lights sometimes incorporate a red emitter to make up for sunlight wavelengths that have been absorbed by water depth. The cute3 SS is the best triple optic I have used, it would be great if you carried them Hank.

I second that. We need XM-L2 32mm Noctigon board too.

Me too… But, pre-soldered.

The CREE XP-L LED is using the same die as XM-L2 LED only in the XP package size, same footprint. This is the response CREE has offered to the market request of high power LEDs.
http://www.cree.com/LED-Components-and-Modules/Products/XLamp/Discrete-Directional/XLamp-XPL

true you dont need anymore xml

I really worry about the XPL & XML reflector compability.
Are we sure that the XML reflector is compatible with the new XPL?
Is the focusing more difficult with XPL?

Don’t forget new centering rings for XP-L (or they are the same as for XP-G/2?)…

Triple XP-L in parallel with Ledil CUTE-3 SS put inside Nitecore EA4 or EA41, I guess?

Sounds great, let us know the solution you come up with to fit the huge XM-L-size XP-L dome into the TIR made for tiny XP LEDs.

CUTE-3 SS is not made for tiny XP LEDs, it is made for XM-L, I have several CUTE optics, but you can check that out on the Carclo website and there are past members with personal projects using CUTE3 and XM-Ls.

why not to use it as quad XP-L and maybe we find a quad lens for it, if that can succeed that will make a hell of a light

Vetoed. Look at the LED configuration. The only way a quad optic for that configuration would show up would be comfy doing it just to prove me wrong ;-). Seriously though, this board is not intended for actual quad use. “Circle packing” tells us that a quad optic should be laid out as a square, not as a triangle with a dot in the middle. The actual uses of this optic have already been covered earlier in the thread…

I really like the 4C tint 4300-4800, makes the colors more vibrant to my eye (but everyones eyes see the light different don’t they :wink: )

I wonder if a small aspheric could be added to the center of a Cute-3?

As soon as mine get’s here I plan to put a de-domed XP-L V5 2A in my TK61 with it.

Without being facetious, have you looked at the Cute-3? The 3 optics overlap. All 3 touch at the center. There isn’t enough room for what’s already there. In order to accommodate a fourth emitter mounted to the center of the 32mm Noctigon you’d need an optic of similar height, right? So another 20mm optic (someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but the Cute-3 is already made of something along the lines of 3 chopped up 20’s). So you’d be lopping off most of the triple optic in order to….

Mine got here today and got emitters on it (after making a single cut to make them individually addressable) and fitted Into the EA41 host.

(Running on ~8h of sleep total over the weekend that one set of markings was really screwing with my brain so they had to go)

One thing I need to figure out is what to do about the feet of the CUTE, they’re much taller than the boards are thick so pressure from the optic does not hold the board in contact with my heatsink. They’ll either have to be shortened or the Noctigon will have to be screwed down (the most likely solution).

Does anyone have a source for the narrow/tight optic? All I could get ahold of was the medium (with textured surface).

This is obviously a RGB built (pukelight) but I will be doing a white XP-L triple “Ea41_CK” (watch for release thread in a couple more weeks!) and on those I will be mounting a red XP-e2 on the center 4th pad for moonlight red light (will require my own FW/MCU or to hack the stock PIC).

And just to confirm, the cute definitely is made to clear XM & XP-L’s!