What knife did you get today?

Today I did some packaging paper cutting with that #60 scalpel blade…maybe 4 meters of total cut length. That blade struggled to finish this task, got completely dull in the process. I tried resharpening it but I suck at sharpening. I think I will have to replace it soon. Fortunately the seller (by mistake?) sent me 20 blades + 1 installed instead of 10 that were mentioned on the sale page.

When I clicked on the link, it came up broken. Had to search on the name on BHQ site. LINK and it’s already sold now, now showing a price of $23.99 if they ever get it back in stock (highly unlikely).

For $30… figured I couldn’t go wrong with a CRKT Squid… copper anodizing and green micarta. D2 blade that measures about 2.5”. LINK.

Since Rdubya 18 posted about his yellow bone Harvester a month ago I was looking out for one too, but the only european Finch seller (Coutellerie Touragelle, in France) had no stock, and importing from the US is killing the price (the US misses out tons of small volume sales to the EU because of immense shipping costs by US postal services and by preferential focus on US packages from EU customs).

But oh wonder, last week they received some stock, so here is my first Finch knife. Love it except for the pocket clip and frame lock which are on the wrong side for us 15% (!) of mankind . Flipper tabs at least are ambidextrous.

Got this one, it is now my edc, since any folding knife is illegal where i live, but fixed blades under 4 inches are perfectly legal to carry.

@djozz Glad you were able to get that yellow bone Harvester . Sorry about that 15% thing .

And where might that be, pray tell?

Maybe Finch could start a trend: for each model one lefthanded version with reversed clip and lock, that one should have its own unique colour/handle material.

Got the CRKT Squid in D2 with copper anodized blade and green micarta.

It’s great! Nice little knife. It’s a little awkward to quick-deploy, due to the short size, but doable. Micarta is on one side—the other is like a stonewashed steel. The black anodized pivot looks almost like an “eye”, coupled with the scale shape lends itself a little bit of a “squid” profile. There’s a spacer along the back end also anodized in a copper finish that looks sharp. I like this little thing. Very happy I pulled the trigger, and at that nice sale price.

I just got a trusty black SRM 7010 :blush: Had already replaced it with a silver one when this one suddenly appeared today under my car seat. Kind of like getting a new knife;-)

I got a Civivo Bo today, in black with natural G10 scales. Natural G10 is nice, but I wanted to try yellow which I like more. So I RIT-died the scales with Die-more daffodil yellow. It turned out really nice I think :slight_smile: . As usual I removed the pocket clip because I am a lefty, tip-up blades in my front left pants pocket are pretty dangerous as I found out more than once :cry: .

I will try it as my next EDC because the Kizer Yorkie (micarta version) that I use now looks a bit sombre, and the thinner more pointy blade of the Bo is handier for everyday things I think. But admitted, the Yorkie was a great EDC knife already.

The dye came out nice ! Looks good ! :+1:

I was tempted by that knife but it bothers me how expensive it is for its size and the mass of the blade. You’d think that Nitro-V steel was worth more than gold. Looks awesome though!

Literally just arrived in mail today.

First heard of this brand (Carothers) just a month ago, and got this brand-new beauty already. How incredibly lucky I am.

The fit, finish, and balance went straight beyond my very high expectations for it, not to mention the supposedly insane toughness and edge stability of its specially-treated steel (not gonna test that on this unit, though).

Next on the list - DEK2 and BFK.

Noice! I love fixed-blades…

That came out wonderfully. Great job!

CPM-M4 Super Freak

Actually got it last month, and yes it is a fine knife… but no better than my old faithful(s) of the last 30 years of the Buck 110 Folding Hunter…with the up side that the Buck comes with a pouch and not these (to my mind) annoying pocket clips that destry the edge of your pocket in short time if the knife is on off / in out of the pocket regularly.

I purchased a laser goniometer for sharpening my knives.I ask if there is some video to see the procedure because there is not any manual.

a quick google finds lots of people have been bit by flippers

I have never had a tip up blade open in my pocket. But none of my knives have flipper tabs.

I actually do put a knife, with right hand clip, in my Left Front Pocket. It has never opened unintentionally. Does not matter which pocket, and does not matter which side I put the clip on. But after reading the link, I will keep in mind that it helps to trap the blade against a pocket seam…

since Civivi does not drill the scales for Left Hand pocket clips… I would just clip the knife to a right hand pocket. So the blade is trapped against a seam.

My knives have Axis locks, I dont trust flippers.:

fwiw, the middle knife, below, is a clone that cost just $18, the one below it is genuine, and cost 10x as much:

all the axis lock knives I own, stay closed in my pocket.

The issue is not the flipper, it is that the knife opens towards the open side of the pocket instead of being blocked against the side. However good the detent, one day, may be this week or next month, the blade opens in your pocket and as soon as you grab in your pocket it slices your fingers. Happened to me several times and the experience is bloody.

These two (both Bokers, but I guess it is coincidental) are particularly nasty. Even after removing the clip and carrying them loose in my front pocket, they managed to open themselves and cut my fingers. The reason for the wooden one is a very weak detent when closed, problem with the other is, apart from a weak detent, the front flipper, if that pushes against the side of the pocket that sometimes forces the blade to open.

I agree, flippers need to be clipped against a seam to help prevent opening in pocket.

Thanks for making me aware of the safety of placing the blade spine against a pocket seam. Seems like a good idea, even with my Axis locks… They all have ambidextrous clip holes. So it makes sense to mount the clip on the left, for left pocket carry.

For the flippers that open when loose in pocket, unclipped… and for flippers that lack a left hand pocket clip…

I suggest a pocket slip: