What lights do you normally recommend?

The only one that I recomend for non flashlight people is the Lumintop tool 2.0

it checks off the basics.
Brighter than most non fanatic store bought lights.
It uses AA battery, but can use a 3.7v 14500 if the user wants to take a walk on the wild side. :slight_smile: (best way to get more flashlight fanatics.)
Simple UI
not to expensive.

2 Thanks

Usually Convoy & Sofirn.

3 Thanks

I’m with quahog here…why do you think it would be underwhelming? It’s quite bright and the boost driver helps to keep it there. The boost scrubs a little from the high end in favor of better sustained output, a lot less heat, too. How many lumens do you think she needs, keeping in mind that it’s a bit floody with the stock optic?

You can set up Anduril so that it is very simple. She’d probably LOVE ramping as a photographer, but if she prefers stepped modes then you can set it up with the number of steps you want and how bright they are…then turn off the aux lights or configure those how she likes, and put it back in simple mode.

She would probably like the raised trim ring option for the switch so she can feel it easily if her eyes are focused elsewhere…the regular flat ring is fine, just harder to feel out. And if she doesn’t want a backlit switch just tell him in a message and he can do the unlit black button instead.

I think for a quad it’s the best thing going (with the boost driver), certainly better than the Wurkkos or Sofirn or Convoy although all three of those are nice lights. I have two, with and without boost, and the one with boost has become my knock around use it all the time edc light…really has plenty of light, and great run time. For more light in a softer floody format I’d pick something that wasn’t a regular flashlight.

2 Thanks

Not a photo guy and I’m definitely not trying to be rude- I’ve been in same situation- does she actually want a flashlight, or do you just want to buy her a flashlight? For me, it’s always the latter.

How about a photo/video oriented light?

1 Thank

@Ryzbor
The Nitecore SCL10 is very handy to have around for photography. Might have a look into that for your tog girlfriend…

Output is adjustable as is tint, and it can charge the phone as a 10,000 mAh battery bank.

1 Thank

Nitecore also offers pretty inexpensive camera battery chargers, with USB powered built in cords. One of those paired with the SCL10 could save her in a pinch. Being able to charge a camera battery in the fly is a lifesaver! ( jobsaver anyway)

1 Thank

For people who aren’t into lights, the most-appreciated light I’ve given someone was a photo/video light I put together. I combined a Viltrox VL-300T with an Ikea Tertial arm and a power supply.

The Tertial is nothing special… just a stereotypical lamp arm which is cheap, decent quality, and easy to get. Can be mounted on a desk or a wall, and moved around pretty easily. But I cut its head off and keep only the arm.

The Tertial needs a bit of modification to give it a tripod screw instead of its regular lamp head, but it’s not difficult to do. There are just a couple metal parts which need to be ground down a little so the screw can fit. When it’s done, the modded area looks like this:

The Viltrox panel is designed to be used for photo and video lighting, but I find it works well as a task light like at a soldering desk… or ceiling-bounced from above eye level, to provide a nice global illumination effect with basically no shadows. And it can easily flip over to switch between the two.

CCT and brightness are both adjustable, and it has a great tint with high CRI. Light is emitted from a smooth, even surface, so it doesn’t really hurt to look at, and simply makes a bright filled circle if it reflects in photos.

The light itself looks like this:

The L116T is good too, but smaller, less bright, and rectangular. I use mine mostly for task lighting… while my VL-300T is mostly for room lighting.

When I want photos though… if the light panels aren’t enough, I take a different approach. Ceiling-bounce a 10,000 lm mule and just light up everything. Turn the entire room into an integrating chamber. This eliminates shadows and lets me take indoor photos at night as if it were daytime.

4 Thanks

I sent them to reddit … !

@ToyKeeper But with the normal arm you miss out the squeaky noise of Adams lock line. :wink:

A very interesting thing in this video are the switching magnets as base.

I wouldn’t trust a single person in my extended family with anything that uses any kind of rechargeable battery. Like, my dad stores his powertool batteries on the charger outside year round in the pool shed next to the salt chlorine generator and my brother started a house fire with a bb gun.
And I can’t bring myself to ever recommend a flashlight with an alkaline or lithium metal battery. So Im kind of in a pickle. If they ask where I got something I just say “internet” and leave it there.

But to people online I’ve been saying the ts10 alot lately.

Oh, my uncle burnt down a pier. I forgot about that one. Like, those things that are literally in the ocean. Burnt that down.

2 Thanks

Piers are actually a big fire risk due to usually being made mostly of wood. A lot of famous piers have had fires at some point. Was it one anyone has heard of?

Fortunately, I’ve only so far had to recommend lights to people who can be trusted around li-ion, but if not, I guess a decent AA light (and explain why they should stop using alkaleaks (saying the light will be brighter with eneloops might work), and throw in a pack of eneloops with a charger if you have to) or even CR123A would probably be my recommendation (although I’d have to look up what a good example of either of those even is…).

Alternatively, if the risk of them not being able to handle a powerful light safely isn’t an issue and it’s really more about loose batteries and an external charger, a Wurkkos or Sofirn light with built in USB-C charging, even if you eventually have to swap the battery out for them when they eventually wear it out. Maybe using some light threadlocker to keep the tailcap closed and the head on the tube, that should resist casual opening attempts unless they were determined, but I think most people wouldn’t even assume it would open at all if it doesn’t immediately by hand and has built in charging, since there are so many devices with built in non-replaceable batteries. Maybe say “the battery is replaceable but it’s really easy to ruin the light if you don’t know what you’re doing, tell me when it’s not holding a charge and I’ll swap it for you” or something, a little lie to protect someone from themselves. Technically not even a lie if they did something like put a battery in backwards.

2 Thanks

I’m don’t know. I doubt it. It was in Nova Scotia in the early 80s. I can’t find it online. Next time I see him I’ll get an exact date and see if it’s in a newspaper archive or something

Can’t trust muggles with a powerful flashlight but they all have phones and DRIVE!

:astonished:

( with that realization the world becomes a very dangerous place… and THEN you realize how many of THOSE are teenagers and old people ON DRUGS! Ok, maybe different drugs, but still! )

Edit: my 63 year old buddy, already on three blood pressure medications for starters, DROVE to the Dr.s office… not the ER… with his blood pressure at 227/129. I mean, seriously? Dead man driving, in an area with 6.6 million people. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

Oh, and he loves mega powered lights. Yes, I repair his broken lights regularly. Batteries inserted backwards, even multiples in parallel with one backwards ( poof), craziest stuff ever but he lives for massive lumens bursts. Go figure.

3 Thanks

Please tell, how did your brother accomplish this feat??? :hushed::hushed::man_facepalming:

BB gun … 6 gallons of Kerosene, 3 Bic lighters and a Flame thrower same thing

He was trying to shoot a mouse that kept running into the wall. I guess he hit a wire or got a piece of lead lodged in an outlet or hit something electrical.

In the end after putting out the fire he caught the mouse and released it outside, and it immediately turned and ran right back into the house. True story.

2 Thanks

You jerks convinced me to buy one. Might as well. It’s the one headlamp I don’t have and it’s got an sft40 and a button for each channel idk why I don’t have one. First sofirn light where I passed on the battery too. These things are piling up and no chance I’m running one at 10amps

For light painting in abandoned mines there is not such a thing as too many lumens :stuck_out_tongue:
But I guess you are right and the boost would be the better option, mainly because it produces less heat.

She needs one and keeps lending mine when we are in dangerous places.
Of course I could buy it for myself and only lend it to her when it’s needed but that wouldn’t be very nice I think :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Thank

Ahh I get it now. I’m assuming you’ve both got nice headlamps.

For big lumens to be sustainable, you might want a bigger light…?

I found momentary turbo on Andruil was great for the previous times I’ve been in UG mines, so I can see the appeal…