What pocket light throws better than my P12GT XP-L HI ?

Convoy S2 SMO reflector and NW XP-L HI on a Noctigon with A6 FET driver. Running on a 30Q. Springs aren’t by passed but must still be 1000 lumens + I’d have thought.

Very tight beam compared to the XP-L A6 running the same driver.

OK, my bad; I was going by the manufacturers “published numbers”.
I don’t have the Eagletac & just have the Nitecore P12 / 2015 Version (XM-L2 U2), not the GT.
I may have to get the Eagletac now though……. :person_facepalming: … :money_mouth_face:
You mentioned illuminationGear…. I really like dealing with them. I have never had a problem and they ship almost immediately. :+1:

My Eagletac TX25C2vn DD/SINGLE MODE XPG2 IS 900 LUMENS AND HAS 80Kcd/565m/617yds. of throw!! :+1:

Sweet, that little “vn” at the end changed the game didn’t it? :+1:

I’ve been looking at that one on Skylumen for a while now, if you would a couple questions;
Will it also take a 18350 cell?
Are those numbers with two cells? If so… do you know it’s Kcd with a single cell?
Whats the length with the ext tube?

One IMR 18650. Yes the numbers are w/ 1 cell.

2 X 18350 would be too much voltage.

Ext. tube,if it has one[stock version] you can not use it w/ this light.

Keep in mind that Vinhs numbers are a little lower because he only measures from 7.5m because of space limitation.He measured mine at 65Kcd. I field tested it @ 80Kcd. :+1:

I wouldn’t think the measured cd would change that much past 7.5m. How did you measure?

A very informative post on CPF by “TEEJ” he is VERY knowledgeable and explains it perfectly!

Just to RE-Clarify:

Just because they are measured at 7.5 meters DOESN’T mean they are comparable numbers, EXCEPT at 7.5 m.

The reason is, again, the distance required for the beam to fully form.

This is WHY the 1 m numbers are always low for example on a good thrower, and we back calculate TO 1 m equivalent….and measure at a longer distance.

So if Beam A is fully formed at 6 m, and Beam B is fully formed at 15 m, and BOTH are measured at 7.5 M and back calculated to 1 m (cd), then, Beam A’s cd number might be accurate, and Beam B’s cd number might be lower than it really is.

If both are measured at 7.5 m, and Beam A is fully formed at 10 M, and Beam B is fully formed at 15 M, BOTH cd will be lower than they really are, but NOT necessary by the same amount…or with one 33% less, etc.

The DEGREE of beam formation is NOT necessarily the same, as every beam has its own collimation formation pattern. So, you really CAN’T compare the cd of all of them at 7.5 M UNLESS they ALL form NO FARTHER AWAY THAN THAT.

Well, you can COMPARE them all you want, its the conclusions you’d draw that would be suspect if expecting too fine a differentiation between lights.

The problem is, you’d need to know the cd to know if the light was more, or less, likely to NEED more distance, and, ironically, that’s what you’re trying to find in the first place.

If there’s ONLY 7.5 m max ROOM to measure, ok, its a limiting factor…but try not to over weigh the results when comparing hard throwers to each other unless you DO KNOW the minimum beam formation distance.

Vinh - Can you make a pole/tall mount, to raise the light, or detector, up to, to shine from a longer range, and get a long enough distance to be universally applicable?

You only need the center of the hot spot/max lux spot to measure, the rest doesn’t affect the cd.

That means you can shine it through your front window, and out a back window, to a fence in the backyard, etc….if you have a straight line of sight, for example.

A flagpole type arrangement with a clamp, etc…where you hoist up the flashlight so it points down at your detector, can also work, off your roof, etc, whatever gets you as far as possible.

There is not really a “too far” range issue…once its “far enough”, the cd stays the same. Too CLOSE is the only issue to worry about.

Just wanted something with more throw for my EDC without wearing a holster or shoulder strap.
26650 lights are about as fat as could fit there but their specs arent as good or the bezel is too wide.

Acebeam EC60 as mentioned above, is a very good thrower and not too wide for a 26650 light.

I should image like most things there is simple HUGE variation and any home or small scale privateer numbers should be taken with the appropriate pinch of salt.

And for the record I’m not sure I believe a tube light is 80k cd. A big ass 600 lumen Mag D cell is only 43k cd.

Unless the tube light is a laser and an XP-G2 most certainly isn’t. I just can’t see it out throwing a large reflector Mag.

I edc my p12gt st times if you need more throw then it provides you might want to get someone on here custom build you a eagle eye x6, dedomed, bypass springs etc. Its not to bad in the pocket. I have one with a dedomed xpg2 that’s good for 500 yards. Or might wanna do a holster a fully built c8 can do 700-800 yards. Not a massive difference in size from x6. I holster carry lights sometimes. If you have not tight jeans a x6 or c8 with a clip wouldn’t be bad. I’ll stick a c8 in my pocket. But I don’t like skinny jeans but not baggy either just comfortable

The trustfire A8 is the most tube-like light in 26650 size that I know of. It doesn’t have a large reflector for it’s size (about 25.5mm ID)(35mm bezel diameter), but it should do ~48Kcd with an XPL HI and FET driver. It does not have a belt clip.

There is a light that would probably fit the bill. Manker U11. It has a slightly larger head already. But would need an XP-L HI swapping in. Very pocket friendly and driven quite well on high. Only the sub par UI lets it down.

Or a modded Convoy M1 or M2. But you really are going to need to go up a reflector size of you already have a SMO reflector and reasonably driven XP-L HI.

No idea what my Convoy S2 does. A6 FET driver with a Samsung 30Q and SMO reflector with NW XP-L HI on a Noctigon.

Daresay a modded p60 might well throw quite well for its size too.

You do NOT have to believe it!!!

If it is not 80Kcd it is very close. I witnessed the amount of light shed on the cell tower from 565m/617 yards and it certainly seemed like enough light to read a book/the illumination of light shed on an open field from a full moon! :wink:

Furthermore how the hell can you compare a mag light to a modded light?!

Do you have any Vinh lights? Hell the older brother S200C2vn is 150 Kcd!,just for the record!

I’m gathering from your comments that you did not measure with a lux meter. It would be practically impossible for someone to judge using their eyes whether a tower 565m away was illuminated with 0.25lux or 0.20lux. However, whatever the number, you have a bright light.

Most of the times the size of the hotspot matters more than the peak intensity of it. One can’t see well at a couple hundred meters at night anyways, and a tiny hotspot doesn’t help… This is why I prefer XP-L HI over dedomed XP-G2.

I prefer a nice modded dedomed xpg2 over a xpl hi. You can achieve a healthy amount of lumens if the xpg2 is done well. And the throw is noticably further than a xpl hi.
I think at decent distances, the hotspot is fairly large enough to not be pencil beam.
And the further you illuminate, the bigger the hotspot will get.

No I don’t have any Vinh lights, I think they are somewhat over priced and over hyped and I just don’t like their selling tactics on CPF.

I’m no way knocking how good the performance might be, but despite this, Vinh is not able to defeat physics or technology limitations either.

For the record I cited the Maglite because it has a large reflector and throws very well. I just cannot image any tube light really competing with it on distance.

And as I posted above, it’s not as if I’m unused to modded lights. I just cannot see a tube light, unless it’s an actual lazer, throwing a beam that far.

Maybe you could provide some photos?