What type of rechargeable batteries best for below freezing temperatures?

I read that “ALL li-ions really suck below 0C,mainly because electrolyte ionic conductivity drops drastically” in comment #112 in the LD-1 thread: FS: LD-1 driver (5Amp pwm-less linear)-SOLD

What type of rechargeable batteries are best for below freezing temperatures?

I’ve been wondering the same. I was thinking about outdoor lights, and about having an HC50 and maybe some other 18650 based handheld, but then I remembered that someone told me Li-ions don’t do great in really low temperatures. I’m afraid I can’t help you, but I would like to hear what some of the other folks here have to say.

For real cold none of the rechargeable chemistries is very good that I know of. Based on factory ratings the Energizer Ultimate Lithium is about the best low temperature performer but it is a primary cell, not rechargeable. CR123A primary batteries are also rated as good for low temperatures but not the RCR rechargeable types. Panasonic CR123A batteries and Ultimate Lithium batteries are both rated to –40 degrees F or C. Minus 40 is the crossover point for the two temperature scales. Either way that is COLD!

I put batteries in case/box and keep close to my body like… pocket , when I go to low temp place.

I think real IMR chemestry works best for cold teperatures, I don’t need them but thats what I read anywhere.

Get yourself some Panasonic IMR CGR18650CH, they are rated to deliver 1800mAh at –10°C.
But it is always helpfull to warm them a little. Since our lights get pretty warm during use I don’t think they’ll ever get below that working temperature.

I was just about to write the same.

There used to be a place where you could buy the Panasonic CR123A batteries for less than $1 each when you buy in multiples of 10 but I cant find it with a quick search.

As for rechargeable batteries a bit of searching shows me this:

http://www.panasonic-eneloop.eu/eneloop-products/faqs/faqs-eneloop.html
“eneloop works better than alkaline, and other rechargeable batteries in freezing temperatures!”

“Eneloops (which I use in my Quark AA) are supposed to work well enough down to –20°C.”

“eneloop has superior performance at 0 deg.C and can even be used at temperature as low as –10 deg.C”

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod5388.htm
“Operates at low temperatures (–20 degrees)”

The following graph shows eneloops operating at 22c and –22c, the performance seems to be nearly the same:

There is some more interesting reading of the above test here: AA battery tests incl. freezer test | Candle Power Flashlight Forum

I’ve read Panasonic announced in 2013 that they will not be producing any more CGR18650CH. The popularity of CGR18650CH might encourage counterfeits as the stock dries up, if it hasn’t already.

Any other good li-ion options?

BG Micro has the Panasonic industrial CR123A for the noted price and currently they are available for 75 cents each in quantities over 10. Best price I have seen for a name brand CR123A. Price is plus shipping so buy as many as possible. They sent me a refund of excess shipping charged when I ordered the below listed batteries plus a bunch of their 18650 batteries in one order.

http://www.bgmicro.com/cr123a-battery-by-panasonic.aspx

To me it sounds like the most straightforward and best solution is just to take an extra of any type Li-ion battery in a 2.8A or greater powered light (hopefully a triple XPL if you can) that produces significant heat to warm it up, then transfer in the good battery after your light has warmed up both your hand and the other battery in your hand with it. With a triple, it doesn’t take long to warm up at all, so even if you consider the loss of power double or more, I’d guess the battery’s function should improve to “normal” within only a few minutes.

I actually have done this repeatedly in the 20’s F, it was a nice mechanism to warm my hand as well as the battery. I used to use a 2.8A S3, this did take a little while in the mid to upper 20s, but it did feel warm…just turn it on, in your pocket with your hand over the lens to capture the heat and warm it up. With the triple XPL I have now, one turbo cycle of 60s is enough to start the process of warming my hand at 22F even with an old laptop pull (probably max 4-5A draw), two cycles is already starting into the edge of uncomfortable to hold again, and I need no glove at all, with just occasional turbo hits through the run time, or staying on high on a high drain battery. *I forgot to add, with the triple XPL even on a very limited drain battery, you can’t cover the lens with your hand without burning yourself at 60s, its really that fast to start heating up.

This dual use of my light is actually one of the main reasons I was initially pretty disappointed with the X6: no way can X6 be used in this manner, you need to ensure your light gets hot on high/turbo, and X6 stock barely feels warm in just cool weather on constant turbo hits.

Will ICR 18650s get kaput if they are stored in a flashlight in the car?

I don’t mind if they lose some capacity, it just has to work when I need it.

Yes. This is what I know. Was going to suggest something with an external battery pack that you can keep warm under your clothes.

Thanks for showing that graph ezarc, the low temperature Eneloop performance is news to me!

Whatever the details, it should help a lot to take batteries that can supply much more current at room temperature than you will need, like high drain IMRs or small cells in parallel. And current regulation or modes higher than you would otherwise need, rather than a lot of resistance in the driver and connections.
I heard that lead acid batteries in good shape can start cars down to –40 F, though not repeatedly with only short trips between.
I think it gets quite cold where RMM is, or near there, so ask him!

I’m looking at temps around –10C with a headlight with battery on the back of the headband. Colder than that and I’d prefer to not be out climbing at all.

I have been using battery pack inside the jacket but the cable is annoying. Too tight and head movement is restricted. Too loose and it snags. I guess I’ll be founding out soon enough how well my 18650 cells will do on the outside of my helmet. Winter’s coming…