What's the best film to watch on Independence Day? (Values, theme, plot, patriotism, etc)

Independence Day (1996) is a throw-away answer since it shares the same name as July 4th although I do think the movie is fun.

My first thought was this…

I don’t remember the movie very well, but I think I liked it.

A similar, but much better, movie…

The following movie is really good, and somewhat political…

If I remember correctly, none of these three films are politically offensive, but I don’t remember the first film very well.
If you’re somewhat upset about life in America, or even if you’re not, these movies can be cathartic to watch. :grin:

1 Thank

None of these seem to be celebrating America though. Isn’t Falling Down moreso about the death of the American Dream? :open_mouth:

1 Thank

Yeah, it is.
These are not happy uplifting movies, but they are about people that are upset with America, so maybe they’re not what you’re looking for. :man_facepalming:

1 Thank

I guess I wasn’t overly specific but I was looking for something upbeat or inspiring.

I have actually been meaning to see Falling Down, but I figure for Independence Day the best movies are the ones that focus on the positives.

1 Thank

OFC unrated release.

1 Thank

I haven’t seen this movie in a long time, but it is about patriotism (in a way.)

3 Thanks

I did an internet search, and here are some more movies that I would recommend (in ABC order.)

1 Thank

I saw the movie, and it wasn’t all that great.
I thought the book was much better, but of course it’s a book.
The book isn’t super entertaining, but it’s an important book to read, which is why it’s frequently assigned reading in high school in the U.S. :+1:

“Invasion, USA” (1985).

Chuck Norris and Richard Lynch… what more can anyone want?

Very uplifting…

2 Thanks

Hidden Figures;
Top Gun, both

1 Thank

Haven’t seen that one but it looks like it might be fun :smiley:

I think people need to understand the meaning of Independence day before they recommend a “Rambo” type movie.

This is the most important day in history of this country.

Before you recommend a movie, do some history research. It would benefit yourself and others.

I’m sure that everyone that has posted in this thread understands the meaning of Independence Day.
Very few BLF members are clueless morons.
People just celebrate the holiday in different ways, and prefer different types of movies for the 4th of July.
Some people prefer movies that are action packed for Independence Day. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Thanks

If you want to watch documentaries and historically accurate reenactments for your Independence Day celebration go for it. That’s not the kind of movie I watch to celebrate anything.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

Always with the negative waves…

2 Thanks

You specifically stated the movie should include elemets of:“values and patriotism.”

Did you mean what you said or did you mean something else.

We can all listen to Bruce Springsteen “Born in the USA,” and feel patriotic about Independence Day.

But you specifically said the movie should include elemets of:“values and patriotism.”

This is why I said you owe it to yourself to get a history lesson before you can make such a recommendation.

Do you agree that you should know a thing or two about flashlights before you can recommend one.

I dont mean any disrespect but you said specific things in your post. I am just trying to answer the question you asked.

I will not pursue this post any further as I think I communicated what I think you were asking.

1 Thank

I also mentioned Independence Day (1996) so that was a pretty clear indication of the type of discussion I was trying to start–a discussion about fun movies to watch on a happy day. Instead a bunch of fun police arrived to tell me about the true meaning of patriotism and point out the flaws of America. Do you also celebrate Halloween by watching a documentary about the Salem witch trials? Or do you just watch a fun horror film like everyone else?

2 Thanks

:+1: