What's the practical use of Turbo or Burst mode that doesn't even last 30 seconds?

As a dealer I also hate the high unsustainable ratings, it makes selling much more difficult. For example the Fireflies E07 is rated at 6900 lumens but that’s not ANSI because it can’t hold Turbo for that long. Flashlights should only be rated by ANSI and show how long it can sustain before dropping. Some manufacturer’s are already doing this and it’s good to see. I recently started buying from Skilhunt and their H04 RC headlamp is 900 lumens for 2min + 210min at 450.

I now only import models that can sustain Turbo for at least 90sec.

The Sofirn SP33 V3 was terrible since it can’t even hold 950 for more than 8min. The V2 could sustain 920 lumens for 2hr 15min. I don’t mind the Turbo only lasting 1-2min but expect a light to hold High without stepping down

It is useful, no doubt however manufacturers should state the turbo lumens in parentheses . Its completely misleading when a light is 10K lumens on turbo and only 3K lumens on high. This to me is a 3K lumens light and not a 10K. That’s why I like Convoy, they can run a very long time on high and the light gets slightly warm. This is in contrast to the FW3A which is like a firecracker in your hand.

Maybe flashlights should be given two ratings, Burst, and Sustainable

I’ve lost so many potential customers over telling them X lumens only lasts X seconds and it drops to 15-20%.

You have to frame the topic differently. I would explain that turbo is only a perk and that the light would have to be much larger to sustain that level longer.

I do that. I think the biggest issue is the average consumer is used to 50,000 fake lumens and saying 6,900 can’t be sustained is hard to take in. I need to start a blog so I can link them to topics I’ve explained already that I can link them to.

I thought the mf01 mini had an issue with the cooling of the 7135 chips, or was that the mf01s?

On a 14500 or AA battery, I don’t think turbo has any use. Using turbo kills the battery fast. And after that even medium gets to be unusable.

I like cooking eggs with my turbo modes and burning holes in my expensive clothing :stuck_out_tongue: It works great as a hand warmer in winter as well. :smiley:

I use the high output to detect air quality in homes (lights up dust)

I have also found many black mold cases in apartments with “turbo” mode. Shining deep into vents. You cannot do that with low output lights. Sometimes you gotta see what you are doing.

I second this! The gold Vapcell’s are fantastic in my GT Micro or should I say the GT Micro is amazing with the Vapcell. :+1:

:+1: :+1: Buying the H10’s now, Thank you for the information :smiley: Looks like a fantastic cell!

Kinda like horsepower, you’ll have problems staying at redline the whole drive

To blind the neighborhood then run like heck

Personally, the applications for which I would use turbo generally take no longer than 10-15 seconds, so a 30 second turbo burst is plenty.

That’s what i was thinking, it’s kinda like getting a boner when you were a 15 year old teenager. What’s that—the wind is blowing…

To shoot a pig at 200 yards off my C8Fs and C8Gs…

We track them via night vision monoculars (hand held… HATE the headsets- you sweat all night in those damn things) :neutral_face: A simple monocular works great for finding them and getting into position for a shot… THEN, we hit the lights! It’s ALL over within 15 seconds- three pigs is a good take (using AR15 in a 6.8 SPC caliber) out to about 250 yards MAX. But usually within 50-100 yards is the average shot distance and PLENTY of light for that task. I’ve gone to Samsung 20s batteries as they crank it out for all the shooting time we need off a gun light.

Lucky you, AR’s are banned in NZ now. Dad just got a thermal scope but they cost way more over here starting at 5-6K so not always affordable.

The first is down to the electronics, the second down to the heat-shedding capabilities of body, they aren’t really related in that way.

Sustainability is down to how much heat the body can shed combined with how much light the electronics can produce while producing less heat than the body can shed. Once the electronics start producing more heat it’s no longer sustainable. The same electronics in a body that can shed more heat will have a higher sustainable rating than the same electronics in a body that can shed less heat, but the maximum unsustainable brightness of both will be about the same.

The thing is the electronics are capable of producing far more light that can be sustained and numbers sell so the manufacturers use this to their advantage in marketing. For me this is where the problem is rather than the existence of a turbo mode.

If i use a 3V XHP50.2 in a Convoy S2+ with a FET driver and low resistance paths running a low resistance 18650 as an example, i’d expect that light to sustain around 500 lumens but be able to produce 3000 lumens at full power. (Don’t shoot me over the specific numbers please, i’m just going ballpark to make my point :D)

Those not in favour of turbo modes would want this light limited to 500 lumens, which is fair enough. Personally i would want the same light with the same 500 lumen mode so i can run it at it’s maximum sustainable ability, but also want the ability to use all it’s power when i want to do so, knowing it’s not sustainable.
After all, a torch is a tool and the more versatile a tool is the more useful it can be. Obviously this has to be matched with ease of use and while i will take time to learn a tool i expect to use regularly not everyone has this luxury and sometimes a tool which is limited to predetermined requirements is needed.

My point here is one of perception, i see the fictional S2+ i mentioned above as a 500 lumen light which has the bonus of being able to provide a 3000 lumen burst should i ever need it. For me that’s better than just a 500 lumen light, but as a muggle gift it’s worse so i wouldn’t gift it. What i don’t do is see it as a 3000 lumen light that can only actually run at a disappointing 500 lumens, despite what the marketing wants me to believe.
I also know that just because i don’t see a use for something that it doesn’t mean no-one has a use, i generally don’t expect a market to only cater for my specific needs.

I am curious though, for those car drivers who are complaining about turbo mode, do you buy cars whose maximum speed matches the maximum speed you ever drive at? Have you ever complained to a car manufacturer about excessive top end speed and the extra power the engine produces which means it accelerates and ends up going faster than you want when you push the accelerator to the floor?

[Edit:] I realised i didn’t actually answer the OPs question. I use turbo mode for when walking and need a quick view of the surroundings, either to get my bearings to check i am where i think i am or to see if i can see where that noise is coming from…

I have shot through thermal on a hunt using a buddy’s rig. Nice and all… but I can’t afford them :disappointed:

But, that said… I started shooting pigs in the 80’s though the jeep’s headlights with 270 or 25-06 rifles with decent scopes and always had PLENTY of meat through the years. Now I have my FANCY (BLF) lights that keep up with thermals just fine… they are a rich man’s toy and although I could actually afford one- I just don’t SEE the need :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry to hear the AR was taken away down there. I’m not political AT ALL, but just doesn’t make sense to me as it’s a tool that some ass uses to cause mayhem and now Canada also pulled it from legal use I believe?

But good things is a creedmore or ANY bold rifle is still VERY useful to those who know how to run the bold between shots (quickly) :smiley: