What's the practical use of Turbo or Burst mode that doesn't even last 30 seconds?

Its like the top speed of your car, isn’t very practical to use it, but is good to know that you have it.

My view is why WOULDN’T you like turbo. Take any popular light. FW3A. Let’s say you remove anything brightness it can’t sustain. It doesn’t make the parts any cheaper. It doesn’t make the light any cheaper to sell. You paid the same amount of money and now you have a 230-280 lumen light and that’s the absolute maximum. Can’t go any higher than that.

The D4 is now a 600 lumen light. D18 is now a 1,800 lumen light. You’re not paying any less for it because the parts are all still the same. You’re just getting less features.

Turbo’s are great, my only complaint is the advertising

Maybe turbo at 30 seconds for “max” measurement and turbo @ 30 min for sustained?

Found a good use: curing superglue.

Sliced my finger open while trying to fix my stupid cheap crap HP Photoshart printer. I hate having bandaids on my index finger so I superglued it shut and used a couple bursts from my Olight to cure it quickly instead of waiting around for 10 minutes and trying not to get stuck to things.

How will it heal with glue inside it, or is it just a layer on top?

Just a layer on top. I can’t imagine the stuff is good for getting in the bloodstream.

Me with my FW3A

I do night walks around my neighborhood with medium brightness just as a beacon
I only turbo when I pass by a dodgy dark alley just to be safe. I only need like 2 sec max turbo to confirm no suspicious people.

There’s no need for me to lug a huge light and shining my neighborhood when I’m only doing walks.

Turbos are mostly just fun from my perspective with sometimes usefulness. Interesting to hear of someone using an AR for hunting. I am a relic from another era. Seems like using turbo to go to the bathroom at night to me. Then again in the era of my hunting days, and in my community, even having a semi-auto was basically an admission that you just weren’t that good with a gun.

If it’s wild boar you’re shooting, feel free to shoot more for me. Hate ’em (and environmentalists hate them, too)

Care to explain to a city boy like me? Especially how environmentalists hate them too

I think that greatly depends on how long and how many lumens it is.

A 300lm light with a 500lm turbo is way different than the same light with a 2000lm turbo

I can understand your logic, but I don’t like the price one has to pay.

I don’t see weight and large size as a bonus. But it’s needed to to sustain even short turbos.
So while 4000 turbo may sustain at 1000, and Convoy is good stuff, I prefer a light that simply does 1000 (using your numbers because for me 500 is enough).

For many around here the addiction is peak lumen. Great.
My addiction is runtime at the 300-500lm mark in a compact format.
While I’m not even remotely a flashlight expert, I think a light that aims for the turbo record often lacks a bit in the efficiency department.

That said I can understand why the lights I’m after aren’t sold much.
Not the brightest, not biggest, not the smallest, not the one with the most modes.
Then there’s not much left to advertise with in a market were the competition is killing.

What is the difference (except a different driver)?

Often the turbo lights are bigger so they can at least sustain the turbo >1 second.
Maybe less focus on efficiency in the modes I prefer.

Ok, thank you. I’m just thinking out loud here: Guess there’s no sharp line between healthy and unhealthy temp conds, except the LED goes bye bye due to current & burns or melts. So, difficult to say what physical characteristics would be needed for x lm. But think of a Olight S1R. That beast keeps 900 lm for 1.5 mins. Mine is even better, it runs for 1’40’’. For sure, a light that sustains a given brightness and has an ok temperature in the equilibrium (maybe that’s what you want) can sustain a lot more heat for a short time. You will always have some potential for a turbo.

But you’re talking about lights that are (in high mode I presume) unchallenged since they are too big. I’m curious which models you have in mind.

Everyboby speaks about lumens.
Candela are even more important.

This is a complaint I often read about on a bike light forum. Some of the more very expensive bike lights have a very bright mode but it steps down after a short period of time to save the LED. Of course when they advertise the output, they stress the brightest mode as the output for the light. The other problem is short run times in the steady mode due to battery limitations.