What's up with Convoy in 2017?

Look for ‘optics’ or ‘optical lenses’.
‘Lenses’ usually / often refers to the flat glass ‘windows’ (with or without AR coating)

Or source some diffuser film, like DC fix or take an old LCD screen apart.

You can’t mod a zoomie. They use an aspherical lense, kind of like a magnifying glass. I assumed you knew that.

The lenses I’m talking about are here.

Simon’s store carries 5 different angles.

I tried a 60° on my S2+ and it is very nice and smooth.

I knew about the lens.
I don’t understand what they can’t be modded. Magnifying glasses come is many magnification levels.
So my thought was a ticker of thinner lens.

It’s because of the operating principle. You change the effect of a zoomie by varying the distance between the LED and the lens. The lens has to be a very specific shape to achieve the full range of maximum flood to full focus within such a short movement.

If you change that shape, you lose part of the functionality, either losing the ability to reach maximum flood, or losing the ability to fully focus, or shrinking the useful range of lens positions so that it becomes harder to hit the precise setting you want.

I know it’s a trade-off, personally I don’t care much if I can’t reach full focus.

Zoomies can be modded by filing some length off the sliding part so the lens can get closer to the LED.
The “#3 zoomie” gives a considerably wider flood when this is done.
Description from Fritz T.: 3-mode Zoom AA/1450 EXPIRED ! "Black" $1.99 Max 3ea - #47 by Fritz_t_Cat

That doesn’t change the focus when the slider is fully extended.

Nothing to be filled of on my BD04 zoomie as the lens is already touching the reflector.
But I ‘’modded’ it anyway. I’ve put in the lens backward and both focus and flood are much wider.
Unfortunately the lense now touches the LED; which can damage it I fear.

Are you a “ZoomieFan” or a “FloodyFan”?

Have you ever tried one of those wide angle lenses on an S2? I tried a 60° lens and it was super smooth, but you lose some throw.

I guess I’m both.
As with many things in life compromises need to be made.
Sometimes a flooder is handy. Sometimes a more focused beam.
For me a zoomie is the solution. For others 2 separate flashlights.

I never tried those lenses because I have no S2 (have a S3)

Anything new or upcoming from Convoy?

It would be great if Simon launched a smaller, EDC sized light with integrated charger and/or a good AA type light.
(both features could be in the same model, actually)

As I said before, Simon should look for a good AA boost driver and make us a mini S2+ in AA form

I want a Convoy Headlamp.

+1

So the S2+ and C8 have both been updated with XP-L Hi emitters… Are there any plans to do the same with other models, such as the S2, S3, M1, and M2?

The M2 in particular seems like it would be interesting with an XPL-Hi. Heck, in a perfect world, we’d be able to choose between XP-L HD and XP-L HI emitters and OP or smooth reflectors in every light, letting us dial in the exact beam profile and combination of flood and throw we want. I know that is too much to ask, but it would be nice to at least see the M1 and M2 with the XP-L Hi.

CONVOY headlamp for sure!!! :wink:

I vote for a small form factor 18350 light… smaller than S2+ with an 18350 tube. :slight_smile:

I was hoping for a two AA light with some input from us…

there are s2+ short tubes on sale,

I said “smaller than S2+ with an 18350 tube.”