What's up with Convoy in 2017?

A sleek AA/14500 tube light with Convoy’s usual features would be a “buy” for me :slight_smile: Moreso if it came with a ‘thrower’ option as well as a floody or blended beam profile. The diameter of anything larger is why I don’t EDC them and so far I haven’t found a AA/14500 light I liked well enough to buy. I’m not picky about the driver UI but something programmable would sell like hotcakes here :smiley:

Phil

Like the S3 / X5 it would be awesome to have a AA / 14500 C8.

Count me in for some AA/14500 Convoys with an output close to UT01/Mi7 and a lower price. :money_mouth_face:

I’d like to see Convoy update the X3, with improvement to fix the long cell fitment (current model cant fit longer protected cells), fix the 3xAA holder, and bring up the heat with bigger drivers and emitters. I’m a big fan of the classic MagLite C or D cell, so I’d love to see the Convoy X3 with an extension tube.

I’ll be the odd one out on the AA topic…I want a Convoy AA Headlamp ala ArmyTek Tiara, Thrunite LH20 or Zebralight H52.

An AA Convoy with a bolt on pocket clip and forward clicky switch would be a sell for me.

An AA/14500 sized host would be nice, but a 26650 host like an oversized M1 would be even better. Would love to see a host with a reflector even larger than the L6 as well. And a doublewide 18650 host sort of in the style of a Fenix TK35, all with AR lenses.

Hello all; don't really mean to derail the main discussion but I'm fairly new here and not quite sure what the main trends are - however it seems like there is a desire for a high quality small driver which can not only provide nice constant current drive (i.e. no PWM), but but high powered, and be able to run off AAs / 14500s and be programmable. It sounds like an interesting project for me to work on, so I thought I'd quickly ask what sort of features would be most desired, what board size, etc. If response is good I might have a go at designing one, since I do have many SK68s around the house too and they can do with a little upgrade :)

I think SK68 and other AA/14500 lights typically use 15mm. 17mm is huge in the 18650 space. We can always use fresh ideas in the driver space. I know HarleyQuin has put together some nice boards, more are welcome!

The hard part, in my mind, is to go from a PCB to a completed driver. It can be difficult to acquire all of the right parts and not many of us have reflow stations to aid in assembly. I really enjoyed your 20mm 6V thread for the XHP50. But in my book, it will all be pie in the sky unless I really step up my game.

Sam here.

Bob

X3 with LD29 driver can work either with 3 X C or D, either with 6 x AA. It is just matter of tube, nothing else need to change.
S2+ also with 3 or 4 x 7135 can work with 3 x AA and all you need is different battery tube.
Convoy with one AA and good price do not think is possible. Boost drivers with high lumens means big current and it is not cheap at all.

So are you saying that a tube extension already works with the X3?

I have tested Convoy L2 with LD29 driver and 3xC size Ni-Mh and it works fine.
Also tested with 4xC size but Voltage is not enough and driver do not work properly. With 6 x C soulld be fine but not tested yet.

Interesting. Could it handle 2x 26650?

Where did you source the extension tube? just order additional from Simon?

If you speak about Convoy L2 yes.
For X3 extension tube do not exist. I saw in this forum someone was made from stainless steel tube for 3 x D size.
If the driver is LD29 best performance for X3 is when it works with 2 containers with 3xAA. Ni-Mh can not give high current so better to use high voltage. But I think X3 use LD25 driver which is for single cell li-ion battery.
Here is Convoy L2 with 3 x C battery. In same tube fits 4 x C without dummy cell, but in 4 x C L2 works only in high mode.

I love convoy for quality and price. I’m more of functionality over looks kinda guy. Now you know I dress :slight_smile: But I really like the black matte finish and grip of the flashlights.

But have something on my wishlist :slight_smile:
I would like to charge my phone with the flashlight. (powerbank function)
The USB charger on de BD04 is great but I want it integrated into the light. Not a click on thingy that gets lost or forgotten.
More 32650 flashlights. The BD04 is great but a little more power would be great. Tip: buy an Anker 5000mAh powerbank for $10 and take the great cell out.

How about upgrading the XM-L2 U2 to U3 or even U4? The 13% efficiency boost would be great.

About an AA Convoy:

The li-ion Convoys are well made and very affordable but their drivers are not special (although the newest Convoys have nice Toykeeper firmware :slight_smile: , the hardware is the basic 105C). But that is no problem because li-ion drivers do not need to have a complicated hardware design to work well.

In contrast, an AA Convoy that would be as attractive as the li-ion ones does need a new driver that is not as freely around as the common Nanjg 105C. Making an efficient boost driver, or have one made, would be a new step for Simon. I certainly wish that he would go that way though :slight_smile:

Are we just listing what we’d like Convoy to make next?

I’d like a small, single 26650 xhp70 light with built in usb recharging.

Something like the Imalent DN70, Olight R50 Pro, Klarus G20 or Acebeam EC 50 gen 2. But, you know, not sucky or overpriced.

Again, this requires a new type of driver for Convoy (boost), which may be out of Simon’s comfort zone.

Yes, I know.

But, 1 each of the 4 lights above (plus Thrunite TM03) could be bought and the driver designs studied carefully to create a unique “clone” driver. Ha ha, you know the Chinese companies are famous for that. Lol

EDIT: Here is a possible boost driver that may be for sale soon.

i would like a flooder, like quad hexa core Nichia 229 and 18650, with tail cap
manker e14 was a good light, but not its head