What's up with Convoy in 2017?

That’s what the adapter ring is all about. Something similar what’s used in piping. (15mm to 12mm)

Now take a piece of paper and draw 24mm S series head with 37mm tube(s).

Yep. I’d gladly buy several such.

That will work fine, but likely you mean it looks (very) odd.
In that case you just pick a tube you like better. Or a bigger head.
That’s the whole point of it. You ‘design’ what you like.

For me personally, the main reason to have a small head is to keep it pocket size. If the tube is wider a small head has no benefit. So personally I would pick a head about the size of the tube (or bigger)

I think it’s better to have complete lights of various types and sizes.

I wonder if Simon or J-Dub74 are reading along as this thread turns into a “what would you make if you were Simon” brainstorming session?

Simon’s welcome to any of my ideas he cares to implement :slight_smile:

Lenses.
I’m especially interested in lenses that make my flashlights more floody.

Convoy has lenses for the S2+.

You can get lenses from a lot of places.

Mtn electronics has 45° and 60° lenses for the S2+ for 55 cents each. They work well, but I like a mix of flood and throw.

Look for ‘optics’ or ‘optical lenses’.
‘Lenses’ usually / often refers to the flat glass ‘windows’ (with or without AR coating)

Or source some diffuser film, like DC fix or take an old LCD screen apart.

You can’t mod a zoomie. They use an aspherical lense, kind of like a magnifying glass. I assumed you knew that.

The lenses I’m talking about are here.

Simon’s store carries 5 different angles.

I tried a 60° on my S2+ and it is very nice and smooth.

I knew about the lens.
I don’t understand what they can’t be modded. Magnifying glasses come is many magnification levels.
So my thought was a ticker of thinner lens.

It’s because of the operating principle. You change the effect of a zoomie by varying the distance between the LED and the lens. The lens has to be a very specific shape to achieve the full range of maximum flood to full focus within such a short movement.

If you change that shape, you lose part of the functionality, either losing the ability to reach maximum flood, or losing the ability to fully focus, or shrinking the useful range of lens positions so that it becomes harder to hit the precise setting you want.

I know it’s a trade-off, personally I don’t care much if I can’t reach full focus.

Zoomies can be modded by filing some length off the sliding part so the lens can get closer to the LED.
The “#3 zoomie” gives a considerably wider flood when this is done.
Description from Fritz T.: 3-mode Zoom AA/1450 EXPIRED ! "Black" $1.99 Max 3ea - #47 by Fritz_t_Cat

That doesn’t change the focus when the slider is fully extended.

Nothing to be filled of on my BD04 zoomie as the lens is already touching the reflector.
But I ‘’modded’ it anyway. I’ve put in the lens backward and both focus and flood are much wider.
Unfortunately the lense now touches the LED; which can damage it I fear.

Are you a “ZoomieFan” or a “FloodyFan”?

Have you ever tried one of those wide angle lenses on an S2? I tried a 60° lens and it was super smooth, but you lose some throw.

I guess I’m both.
As with many things in life compromises need to be made.
Sometimes a flooder is handy. Sometimes a more focused beam.
For me a zoomie is the solution. For others 2 separate flashlights.

I never tried those lenses because I have no S2 (have a S3)

Anything new or upcoming from Convoy?

It would be great if Simon launched a smaller, EDC sized light with integrated charger and/or a good AA type light.
(both features could be in the same model, actually)

As I said before, Simon should look for a good AA boost driver and make us a mini S2+ in AA form