What's with the bad punctuation and misspelled words lately????

Same with hanged/hung. The English language is full of um, I mean them.

I bung my head in frustration every time I heard that.

What about the use of the phrase “a historical fact vs. an historical fact”?

If you’re speaking with a cockney accent, “an ’istorical fact”, it makes sense.

Otherwise it just sounds stoopit.

I agree. I hear it quite often on the local news.

I’m convinced it comes from a mash-up of “regardless” and “irrespective”.

:stuck_out_tongue:

I have an ideal, we can have grammar lessons. :wink:

His keyboard, actually. :wink:

Like LB and some other said, an internet forum is casual, a laid-back affair. No need to get the verbiage all gussied up for a tank-top party.

What hacks me off is the news stories and official publications with incorrect usages, poor sentence structure, wrong use of apostrophes, and suchlike. Those people write for a living; they should know better!

I should hire out as a freelance editor/proofreader….

Stoopit is easier to pronounce than stupid, I like it. Isn’t this kinda Yorkshire accent?

The expression “hanged like a donkey” did sound a bit cruel. So they adapted it.

We are all guilty of doing this. Someone mentioned “pointing fingers.” There is no figurative finger to point here. You would be pointing at the sky.

My comment and opinion is that the trend is increasing and I am not sure why.

Do you agree?

The English language by design includes contractions for shortening words such as:

Can’t for can not
Don’t for do not
I’ve for I have

Then there are internet/phone type shortening and abbreviations

OMG
LOL
AFAIK

These evolved from texting where it was too difficult to type on a small keyboard.

A professor of mine used to tell us ” if you abbreviate and shorten words while writing an essay, I will abbreviate and shorten your grade.”

True story.

And well he should. That which is written without pain, is read without pleasure.

Ok, you want to know why, here it is. Besides being uneducated and ignorant for making mistakes, there is a one factor nobody considers or accepts. You can call it degrading replication. Example: take something and copy it in a printer, take that copy and copy it and repeat, eventually you will have a blank page. Survival of the fittest does not exist for humans. Even with so called higher education, humanity is degrading.

You should really check out this guy’s channel :slight_smile:

I guess education serves to slow the degrading replication process down.

I have always said, you go to school to get an education, not a job. A good job may be part of getting an education but it should not be the end goal.

I tell people ” you go to college so you don’t go around thinking that if you drop a bowling ball and an gold ball off the side of a building that the bowling ball will hit the sidewalk first.”

If your only goal is to get a good job and to hell with being educated, get Cisco certified. The highest Cisco certification (CCIE) is a $100K and up job. Actually, much closet to $200K now. You will never be unemployed with a CCIE certification.

Thought I would throw that out there, and as usual, unseen, again. LOL

I also noticed more “common” topics lately, but not just on BLF. Everywhere online. more off topic, more video sharing, more jokes, etc

His keyboard? Maybe we could say his hands or fingers?

Actually, you could probably argue there is only a figurative finger to point here. Or at least, that it can only be pointed figuratively. :+1:

That makes sense… LB’s magic fingers. (I wonder if that’s what she said to him!) :wink:

I think this thread is starting to get knitpicky.

It could unravel.

:open_mouth: