Where can I find Fireflies Anduril firmware updates? Answer: Nowhere. (yet?)

Recently I have been updating firmwares in my Anduril lights. Upon examining my Anduril lights, I noticed that my two Fireflies lights (NOV-MU with 21 Nichia E21A and E07X with 7 Nichia 219B) use the same pogo pin layout with Emisar/Noctigon lights. I tested Hank’s flashing kit on them and they seemed to work. Also, my two Fireflies lights share the same Lume1 driver (Rev B 11-20).

The question is this. Where can I find the updated hex files for my Fireflies lights? Are they being offered? Would my NOV-MU and E07X use the same firmware?

Upon searching for the answer, I came upon Loneoceans’s github ( GitHub - loneoceans/lume1-fireflies: Anduril Firmware for the Lume1-Fireflies Flashlight Driver ). But the codes and hex files (there were three versions) were updated two years ago around which my Fireflies lights were released. So, I think the hex file on that github is not much different from what is currently on my lights.

It seems that Emisar and Noctigon lights are getting regular firmware updates, but other Anduril lights are not getting the similar updates…

Edit #1: 12/20/2022 (after 10 days I wrote the OP)

I emailed Fireflies twice with two simple questions. Are there updates available? Can you share it? No answer was received after a full week.

I have seen an instance where Fireflies sent hex file via email, but it did not work out as seen in link. Maybe since there is no update, Fireflies decided not to reply at all? I don’t know.

All I know at the moment is that firmware for E01, PL47, ROT66 are regularly updated, but there are no Anduril updates for other Fireflies light.

So, I (tentatively but rather firmly) conclude that Fireflies do not make the updated firmware public.

1 Thank

As far as I know the Lume1 firmware modifications never got updated.

Probably nothing to update. Anyway generated hex from Anduril2 653build . FET output enabled. NOT TESTED so backup your old hex!

Thank you for the answer. It is too bad that many Anduril lights do not get updates.

I did version checks on my NOV-MU and E07X. They share the same version, 202012240443. I guess it means that I can use the same firmware on both of my lights when there are updates?

By the way, here ( Emisar D4V2 Flash Kit Instructions (Official How To) - #312 by Limsup ) is how I checked if Hank’s flash kit worked with my Fireflies lights. Hank’s flash kit correctly detected ATtiny 1634.

I think it was mentioned that they shipped with updated firmware now ? but it’s not published.
AFAIK he code changes haven’t been merged into the main branch, so it’s not possible to just get the hwdef and cfg and compile them the updated code.

You can always try to ask them for it ? I think they are supposed to publish it according to the open source license anyway ? Unless that doesn’t apply to updates ?

Here is all official FW

BTW just copied on top off old files a new ones and it compiles just fine.

Thank you all for your input.

Thank you Quadrupel for the hex file. I will try it out when I figure out a couple of issues I faced.

I was able to save the existing hex files from my E07X, but I get an empty file from my NOV-MU. I get the following message when I try to read flash from my NOV-MU: “avrdude.exe: Flash is empty, resulting file has no contents.”

My NOV-MU works fine, but I guess the flash can be empty…

Are you sure both have standard Lume1 driver? I ques leave it as is.

I wanted to update my PL09mu’s to Anduril 2. I got a key from Jack, and he emailed me a link to the AD2 version he is using for the PL09’s. Haven’t done the update yet, but I imagine Jack can also send you any new version of Anduril he is installing in his new lights. I have also thought about updating all my Pro FF’s, but loosing the 3 click AUX on Lockout stings bit. The again I love the instant turbo from off, too. Hope you get it sorted cause I’m likely interested too.

Here are some photos of my Fireflies lights.

I have NOV-MU (Nichia E21A 4500K) and E07X (Nichia 219B, 4500K).

“REV B 11-20” is marked on both of the PCB. I read they are Lume1 driver.

I tried multiple times to read the hex file from my NOV-MU, but it was empty. So, I gave up on saving the old hex and took a chance. I reflashed it with the hex file Quadrupel compiled. The version is now 202012290443. Previous version was 202012240443. Despite the update, I don’t think it is much different from the original firmware. I do not notice the recent upgrades such as the option to adjust smooth ramping speed…

I don’t know Jack and never contacted him, but I sent an email found in Fireflies website (ff-light@hotmail.com) asking for the recent hex file. Hopefully I will get a response.

That is the email I used to use all the time. I’m not saying you won’t get a response there. But they moved to a new website a few weeks ago and seem to be using that sites emails now. So I would try them at firefly-outdoor@hotmail.com. And I suppose you can try Sales-Ivy@firefly-outdoor.com since she seems to be the new first line of a support.

Jack sent me the DHL tracking number using the old FF-light@hotmail.com account so the email is still valid.

Good. At least .hex works. It means i can compile customized FW :slight_smile: Can you enlighten me about upgraded “option to adjust smooth ramping speed”?

From the manual:

- 7H: Ramp config menu.
    - Item 1: Floor level.
    - Item 2: Ceiling level.
    - Item 3:
      Stepped ramp: Number of steps.  Can be 1 to 150.
      Smooth ramp: Ramp speed.
        1 = Full speed, ~2.5s from end to end.
        2 = Half speed, ~5s from end to end.
        3 = Third speed, ~7.5s.
        4 = Quarter speed, ~10s.

Is there a list of Anduril ‘versions’ with dates and change lists?

https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~toykeeper/flashlight-firmware/anduril2/changes

That actually makes sense since the E07X’s had to be purchased on the old site still.

I sent two emails to the email addresses I could find on the aforementioned Fireflies websites: firefly-outdoor@hotmail.com and ff-light@hotmail.com. No reply over a week.

I guess I cannot expect an Anduril update from Fireflies lights. Either they will not share the open source code or there is no updated software.

The code has been on github for the past 2 years, free for all - GitHub - loneoceans/lume1-fireflies: Anduril Firmware for the Lume1-Fireflies Flashlight Driver. I don’t think there any obligation for manufacturers to release updated firmware since this is managed by the community. You can easily compile the code yourself with the latest files if you do want the latest version. Another method is you can try to email loneoceans, he does reply my emails. What new feature of Anduril do you wish for in the update?

I know of the code. The link you posted is the exactly the same link that I wrote on OP. I wanted an easy and sure way, by getting correctly configured hex file from the manufacturer. Then I can simply write the hex file on my flashlight without having to worry about installing incorrect hex file.

As far as I understand, the use of open source software requires the user to disclose the updated source code. If Fireflies are distributing an updated firmware that is different from the one released two years ago, then they are required by GPL V3 to disclose the updated code.

I asked two simple questions on their lights. Is there a new firmware for NOV-MU and E07X? Are you willing to share it? But they failed to reply within a full week or they simply declined to bother replying. A simple reply saying that “Sorry. Busy. Cannot help you right now.” would have been better.

On the other hand, I could easily locate the latest Anduril 2 updated hex file for my KR4, D4V2, TS10, and SP10 Pro. I am not sure who are responsible or who are doing the work, but I am thankful the updated hex files are readily available. It is a big plus that I can update 2+ year old flashlight with the latest firmware. As far as I can tell, I don’t have to worry about missing out on the most recent advancement of the Anduril firmware on those lights. However, the same cannot be said for my Fireflies lights unfortunately.

The main reason for the update is to be consistent across different flashlights. Because using multiple versions of very similar UIs can be quite confusing.