Where to buy good and cheap strap wrenches?

Im considering to buy a set of strap wrenches. I checked ebay and here are some examples.

Example

Example 2

I would like to get a set. These are all from the UK. There is no rush. If there is some good free shipping stuff from China, Ill buy from there...

Do anyone have some good affordable stuff to recommend?

I saw Tom E used some BOA strap wrenches in this thread. But they seem to easily cost 20$ ++ a piece when shipped (from UK)

They are for flashlights and general stuff...

Sears
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-pc-strap-wrench-set/p-00945570000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

IMO, the BOA BO13010 is an exceptional value considering the quality. They wont damage a flashlight if used properly and the rubber strap material holds up well. There’s often no getting around having the proper tool for the job. The lesser strap wrenches are easily destroyed in this hobby.

Hopefully, someone else will weigh in with a more economical solution that can take some real abuse, but I have my doubts. Been there, done that…

I got some at local dollar stores several years ago for a dollar, sometimes a 2 piece set like that Sears set for a dollar. Haven't looked lately, though.

• Not available for International Shipping

Thanks for the tips..

Bought from Amazon shipping and handling costs more than the products them self.

They are probably to be found elsewhere, but ordering from the US is usually quite expensive.

After some digging, another strap wrench that seems of a great design is by DMC. They also sell the straps separately, which is nice to know. From your posts, Im guessing that you would get a lot of use from a pair.
http://www.dmctools.com/Products/loopless_strap_wrenches.html

They have an authorized distributor in Norway:
http://www.dmctools.com/Support/norway.html

Just not sure of the cost.

You can also google “tool distributors in norway” and see what turns up. Those plastic handled things arent good for much more than opening up tight lids in large glass jars. I broke 2 pairs of the sears ones rikr linked almost right away. Darn those pesky glued flashlights!

Good luck.

Thanks for doing some digging.

I did some digging too. Eventually I managed to find the name of it in Norway too. That was the hard part...

About 11$ from Biltema. So if anyone from a Scandinavian country are reading.

Unversalåpner- Norwegian

Universalöppnare - Sweden

Universalåbner - Denmark

That translates to something like. Universal opener.. :p Great description... :Sp

Ill probably just buy it locally unless someone knows of a great set for a great price.

thanks for this thread. just bought one myself from amazon

"Yleisavaaja" in Finnish. Those are exactly what I'm using (with good success).

[/quote]

"Yleisavaaja" in Finnish. Those are exactly what I'm using (with good success).

[/quote]

Should have included Finland too, but its so hard to understand Finnish. 0:) lol... Same Biltema product code though.

Nice to know yours get the job done.. Ill pick up a set next time I visit Biltema. :)

So one doesn’t necessarily need to have aluminum handled ones to open flashlights?

TY for the heads up. I'll look for those when next in Biltema.

If you have a second-hand store (where people bring their useful but old items to be resold usually for charity) or a friend whose weight varies widely (necessitating occasional new belts), you could do what we always did before the “Strap Wrench” was “invented”.

Take an unwanted, solidly-made plain leather belt, either clamp it with Vice Grips or just get angry and smash it in your fist… Sometimes you can pull it tight around the item and fold the two ends back over the tight bight around the item. The only point is to get it to stop slipping. And then apply leverage.

Eventually friction will make the belt stick, and then it’s up to your leverage.

Best lever I’ve found for this is a leftover board with the end of the belt glued and stapled down one side. I get what “feels right”, which is usually 1” (25mm) square * whatever — I like a length somewhat shorter than my forearm, but YMMV.

Cheap, effective, lasts an amazingly long time, and easy to replace whenever you need to. If you focus the wear on a specific part of the belt it’ll fail there eventually but all the rest will still be good… A fat man’s belt could last a lifetime.

Works with cordage too, but that’s harder.

Dim

this seems to be a new product on the market. invention.

could it be used to crack open AAA flashlight heads of the typical 14-15mm diameter?

LIB, MIB, AMZN: Bike Premium Rubber Adjustable Strap-Wrench Wrench

i have no idea how this works :(

Erm, that's a picture of a tire valve core tool.

Really? Looks like a tap to me! :open_mouth:

You mean a die. :slight_smile:

tire valve core tool? a tap? a die?

i don't understand a thing.

anyone with some helpful links or youtubes on these 3-4 items?

Tire valve core tool - used to remove the core on an innertube (or valve stem on tubeless tires), the little thing you press to let air out.

Tap - used to made “female” threads in something.

Die - used to make male threads on something.

**I just pulled the first videos i found, so if they are bad, my apologies lol