Where to buy Skyray King?

What is the best place to go to buy the Skyray King? ebay? fasttech? aliexpress?

I’d like to get the 4x cree xm-l2 version, but fasttech seems to be the most reliable and they only have 3x XM-L…

Does this one look legit? Page Not Found - Aliexpress.com

SRK/Kungs are all over the place in build quality. The one I bought from aliexpress needed work. More about that here. You never know when you are going to be lucky or not. Lately several lights even even lacks pills/heatsinking. Chances of getting a good quad (or king) gets smaller and smaller. Chances of getting a really bad one seems to become higher.

If you are not in a hurry and would like a thinner more comfortable 3 cell battery tube. Wait for reports on Solarstorm T4.

I probably sound like a broken record supfire shilling or w/e… but have you checked out the Supfire M6? It is the same form factor ‘soup can’, 3 emitters, but much higher quality and consistency than a Sky ray king. With all the SRK’s inconsistencies I would steer clear unless it’s coming from someone who has confirmed the quality after breaking it down and doing some tests.

There’s not much difference between 3 and 4 emitters in SRK’s.

Thank you for your replies. I’m new and haven’t heard of the Supfire M6 yet. I suppose I will wait for one of the low-cost options to use the newer LEDs…

Supfire M6 is great. Is more expensive but quality is really good compared to cheap kings.
Fandyfire uv-s5 is good too, but M6 is better.

I’m also looking for a soupcan light.
I’m looking for 3x XM-L(2) and 4x 18650.
The M6 is probably not to be found under $40.— ?

CNQ and Mtnelectronics claim to have the good ones, so buy from them and let them assume the risk. I'd also recommend the M6.

To me the best buy is the Mod Option 1 modified M6 from Mountain Electronics. Improved user interface and increased output compared to stock if used with good quality batteries. A $10.50 premium compared to the stock light from the same source. I have one and much prefer it to the stock version which I also have. Good for around 3000 Lumens genuine at max output (NOT Chilumens!). The fully modified light (Mod Option 2) is good for about 4500 Lumens max. A real blowtorch.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=80&product_id=250

A USA company and yet his prices are comparable to the Chinese companies though he does charge separately for shipping via priority mail. He even answers emails in comprehensible and grammatical English :open_mouth: :bigsmile:

Richard at Mountain Electronics, the owner, also offers upgraded SRKs and reports very inconsistent quality and internal construction. He has had to return whole shipments of SRKs under more than one brand name due to this even though the lots were bought from the same supplier who last provided good ones. A complete crap shoot apparently as to what you will receive and some are not even capable of being upgraded due to internal construction changes such as the above noted lack of heatsinking.

I have asked the same question to a few members here via PM, and all of the experienced SRK guys coincidentally told me the same thing - there is no guarantee, buy at your own risk!

I think the problem is even if there is a good review of a particular seller we still never know their consistency in the next buy. :frowning:

Probably best to get a Supfire M6.
I bought my SRK before I even joined this forum, and good thing I bought two. The originals (LOL skyray has originals?) had 1st generation XMLs (triple emitter) and anodized threads. You can risk it and try buy one anyway, but now there’s no telling what kind of quality you’d get.
At least with the M6 you know what you’re getting since only one manufacturer makes it (I think).

Like the others said its becoming difficult to get a good quality and its like a lottery. The “original” Skyray King had a 3-torrid driver and a real paracord lanyard in the white box with SkyRay on the box. I have one and its a good light. The best SRK Kung ( 4-emitter) version i have found was from a seller on ebay named Brotherhuang1983. it has a solid pill plate and driven well.
Like the others mentioned the Supfire M6 is a good choice as they have a consistent quality. Also another good light in the same class is the Solarstorm/Fandyfire Warrior 3-XM-L.

I should have been more clear, my bad.

I meant someone selling one in the forums, or someone like RMM who checks the SRK’s he stocks.

Not from a some guy or company that deals in tons of lights who couldn’t possibly check all of a particular light.

Oh ok, I understand you. But at the same time I also wonder what would Richard (RMM) do whenever he received a poor SRK? Reject and send them back to the original suppliers?

As for the “Good” quality SRK with 3-torroid driver I think CNQ still carry them? No?

That's exactly what I do and have done in the past. If they are subpar, they get returned.

RMM has posted that he has done just that, returned batches of lights that were not built to requirements for successful and reliable upgrading. After all he has a 30 day guarantee on his lights which is plenty long enough to weed out the infant mortality failures on correctly built lights and also plenty long for junk ones to self destruct unless they are closet queens. Also so far he has quickly built a reputation on this group for fast and high quality work and fair prices. Why should he ruin it by starting to sell junk. Just look at his selection of batteries to note that you do not see him offering any S*Fire batteries as an example.

Excellent, and too bad there is no seller like you in my country. :frowning:

We should boycott SPKs so that manufacturers can ditched the design and come out with improved models (not just clone variants).
T3 and T4 are seems to be in the right path 8) . M6 is great but price can be more affordable.

freeme;

The M6 can be had for about $40 from RMM which is LESS than the SRK originally went for and the attempts to lower the SRK price have been accompanied by the deterioration in quality to the point that a light which used to be “Budget” has now become “JUNK” in many instances. I prefer a moderate priced light with good and CONSISTENT quality from batch to batch so you know what to expect when buying one. That is what the M6 delivers so far.

One of the problems with the Chinese light industry at the lower levels is inconsistent quality as exemplified by the SRK and it’s clones. A good part of this is that this part of the market is apparently so competitive that some makers engineers constantly try to reduce manufacturing costs and in many instances they introduce changes which make the design functionally poorer and either no longer reliable or with reduced output. Then their reputation goes to hell and they start getting returns from buyers like RMM and dissatisfied retail customers or the retail ones post here about their bad experience with XXX light.

A light like the M6 is an incredible buy compared to comparable output name brand lights from Fenix, Jetbeam, Nitecore and other name brand USA importers and yet the lights all come out of the same large group of factories in one area of China.

Please quit continuously demanding lower prices and concentrate instead on demanding better quality and better UIs for the same price. Honest engineering Lumens ratings and other specifications would be nice too. I suspect that eventually other countries are going to force China to revalue it’s currency which has been held at an artificially low exchange rate. When that happens you are going to see large increases in the cost of Chinese goods.

I have a clone Skyray King 4xCree-XML2. The driver went south but was saved by the BLF 32-7135 driver.

That light is now on my awesome “soup can” flooder list.

…about your link. The seller fails to show actual driver or measured tail cap current. Also the seller mentions manufacture “claimed lumens”. Right.
I have been burned twice being the new guy that I am…

As others point out in this thread; the workmanship, consistency, and tint of my Supfire M6 from Mtn. Electronics a “first choice”.

I have a 6 LED SRK from RMM from a recent sale he had of 4 available lights. He decided to not offer them as a regular product due to supplier problems per his offering post. Again apparently a product inconsistency problem. I love it with the 7 output level firmware modification as well as upped output. It has become my flood beam champion but no more are available due to the factory messing with the basic flashlight design apparently. Note that RMM did not try to continue making them a regular product once he realized that later lights were sub standard. For $50 though I got an outstanding customized light at what I thought was a ridiculously low price.