Where to find forward-clicky switches?

did you take any pictures of how you did that, it sounds useful! Rufusbduck started a thread about switch rebuilding, that would be a useful addition: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/32257

No but I will next time probably next time ok?

in rare cases these lights had quality “forward clicky switch” that’s small and can run up to 2A max.

but in most stuff they still have forward clicky that fits small AA powered light

I mean they’re tiny. But some creativity could be done?

I believe it’s in my mtg2 jax z1. Not sure about the amps but it’s prolly around 5 because it’s doin about 3000 lumens

I sent a question to KD asking for the dimensions of the 3rd link I posted, otherwise I’ll probably order a couple of the 6amp switches.

All I can tell you is what is working for me.

I found these 3A High Current Flashlight Tailcap Clicky Tactical Switch (Momentary Activation) to fit and work quite well in my “roll-of-coins” EDCs. They’re the ‘’S5 Clones’’ I mentioned earlier. They replaced the original Momentary OFF switches ~perfectly in size.

They should also work in the “normal” 501B’s I use which means they’d work in the old C8’s as well. Well… except for having to solder them in, which can be a pain sometimes.

HTH…

I believe these may be the same switches KD has 5 for $7, and they look very similar to the switches solarforce uses. A KD rep responded to my info request with these pictures:

I ordered a few of the 6A forward clickies off eBay should be here in a few days.

Pilotdog, those Omten 1288’s are tiny or those forward clickies are massive.

The 1288 is what is used in most of the Convoy lights

if it's any consolation my 4.4amp mtg2 build uses a solarforce forward click and it hasn't stopped working yet...

On the Digikey site they list switches as on-off, off-on, NO, NC, etc. I assume the first two are either forward or reverse clicky operation but not sure.

I have used a few of the eBay 6A switches, and so far anywhere a 1217 would fit, they have too. I’ve pushed more than 8A through one without issues. There was a test done that pushed it over 10A without failure.

Small they aren’t, but they fit.

Rufusbduck, I understand the confusing off-on, on-off to be their reference as to possible configurations for single pole switches. Then it gets more confusing with multiple poles. That is if I understand that correctly. I’m not sure if they describe forward or backward.

Now, perhaps, you may also understand why I have been such a stick-in-the-mud over the recent trend of using silly WWWebsite nicknames like “forward clickie” and “reverse clickie” when standard nomenclature has existed since before even I was born. Yeah, yeah, yeah — “standard nomenclature” [roll eyes] is geeky, “old timey” and boring, but maybe now you can see why it’s useful…

And the term “pole” describes the number of circuits that are controlled by a switch. The number of ways they’re controlled is called “throw”, as in “SPDT”, which is “Single Pole, Double Throw” — a single circuit through that SPDT switch has two different outputs. It may make more sense if you look at switch schematics. (I should warn the timid that, in the vocabulary of switches, we’re not even scratching the surface yet! Make, Break, Momentary and Normal aspects determine “forward” and “reverse” behavior…) Sparkfun has a decent explanation for the curious.

(Try to imagine old Dimbo, building a radio or a robot controller, trying to characterize 64 switch plates on a rotary actuator by “clickie”… I would be fired on the spot!)
(As a reward for reading this far, our tailcap switches are SPST. “Forward” (as I understand it) is “Make before Break” or Normally Open and “Reverse” is “Break before Make” or Normally Closed. But I am also confused by “forward” and “reverse” nicknames…)

It would be nice if digikey also were as adamant about nomenclature. I get NC vs NO with regard to momentary switches, it’s the on-off vs off-on that’s a bit unclear. Are you saying that on-off is NC (normally closed) and therefore a reverse clicky(sorry!) as we flashboobs would call it? 1st state being the normal one.

I must disclaim that I started buying from DigiKey when there was no WWWeb, but their catalog was mostly “throne room” entertainment and a place to hold their phone number. Whenever I needed a part, I had to call & let their rep. dig it up. NOT shilling for them, as I see them as a “last ditch” supplier when I just can’t live without some part & no one else can find it.

When I browse to their modern WWWeb catalog, it looks like the same guy made it who made the paper one.

No offense, I like them just fine, but we all need to remember they’re a supplier to hobbyists, mostly. And they sell EVERYthing electronic-related, which means they probably don’t spend much time on any category. They seem to be the model FT, DX, Manafont, etc. have based their businesses on, except DigiKey claims (seems?) to actually stock some of the things they sell.

My opinion of their switch lookup page is that they seem to want to provide any characterization any of us might imagine, the better to shrink the 20,000+ switches (and that’s just the PushButtons) they list…

They do use SPDT, etc. as well as a (maybe less than successful) stab at characterizing the operating modes & specifications. But I can’t find anything I can use in a tailcap there, so I’m really the last person you should ask about them.

I know that doesn’t help much, but it’s all I got on DigiKey. Call ’em!

Dim
EDIT: and yes, their “Switch Function” column is just-about gibberish.

ok so just got two of the 6A switches off eBay today

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141172162679

they work find on solarforce circuit boards but the switches are HUGE! i cant get one to fit in my convoy m1 or m2 host :( so now i have to find else where for a forward high amp switch to use in the convoy hosts.

The 3amp switches from that same seller are smaller, appear to be the same as solarforce uses.

3amp is just not enough