Where (USA) can I get LED flashlights repaired?

I have 3, yes 3, Convoy C8 LED flashlights that aren’t working. One was kaput on arrival, the others lasted anywhere from 10 seconds to a month. But all aren’t working now. I know it’s something in the heads and that’s all that I know. Frankly I know very little about these lights, I’m just a user.

I’m looking for someone, or a business, that will repair them for a reasonable charge. Please, USA only to make shipping affordable. Obviously it makes no sense to pay out $20 to repair a light that can be replaced for $18.

Richard from Mountain Electronics suggested this might be the place to find a repair facility or person.

Thanks!

Welcome to BLF!

where dit you buy them and what does vendor say?

Are you sure the cell you use is good and fits?
Did you check the rings holding the driver and tail pcb?
Do they rattle?
Any visual defects?

Unless you can get your retailer or manufacturer to repair them under warranty, they ain’t worth getting fixed. Sounds like you’re not having much luck with that model, so try a different brand.

You can try to home-repair them. But if you’ve tried all the usual checks, and you’re sure it’s a problem with the driver or something in the head, it’s probably not even worth trying to fix it yourself. $15 electronics are designed to be thrown away when they don’t work. Heck, they’re designed to be thrown away every couple of years, even if they do work!

If you want to pay for shipping to and from I will take a look at them. I won’t charge you anything if no new parts are required and if they are I will give you a quote and let you decide.

I’m really quite ignorant regarding LED lights. The vendor replaced 2 of them, and now a 3rd has pooped itself. I’m just done ordering and waiting a month for a new one to arrive. I do have some replacements coming in from Mountain Electronics (they’ll be here tomorrow), but I have 3 non-working lights from those other vendors and that bothers me. :slight_smile: I want them working instead of just tail cap parts.

The cell(s) used are good. They are proven in other lights.

I took one light apart and the ring was tight. I couldn’t see anything obvious to my untrained eye. BTW, is there a tool that’s built to do the job of loosening/tightening those rings? I detect no rattling in any of the others and they appear to be tight, or as tight as I can tell without a tool that can grab those little holes in the ring without destroying them. I can probably learn to fix the lights myself, given help (thanx BTW), but a tool for those rings would really help a lot.

Tail pcb… what’s that mean? I’m thinking it means the tail cap innards, but what does pcb stand for? Educate me please.

All 3 tail caps appear to be working as I can put them in the still functioning lights and they work there. I assume the problem is somewhere in the heads of the lights.

BTW, 2 came from TMart and the latest one from another Asian vendor. I’m just done with ordering from there. The track record isn’t good from my perspective. Out of 5 lights of the same type, 3 are non-functioning. Richard from Mtn Electronics was surprised about it and suggested that maybe I could have gotten some knock offs. Heck, the less expensive zoomable lights I bought all work and the Convoys are supposed to be a better light.

But enough of me discussing the problem. Let’s get ’em fixed. I’m open to suggestions, but again, I know nothing re: LED lights, except that I like them when they work. But I am a very quick learner. Right now I don’t even know the language.

It is probably just the retaining ring in the tail cap. If you can take the tail cap of and use a piece of wire to connect the battery to the flashlight end the none anodized section of the threads.

That works!

PM me an address please and I’ll get them out today.

PM sent. Glad to help.

You can't say fairer than this - I'm liking this forum more and more.

If OP states where he is, I wouldn't be surprised if there's someone from BLF not far away who'd also make the same offer.

Please let us know what was the issue?
As Richard, I am very surprised by this.
They actually have Convoy on them?

And yes there are pliers that fit the tiny holes.
PCB is the board the parts are soldered on, if the ring does not contact this can cause problems
But sinve the switches work on other lights I agree these seem fine

You should post some pics of the lights before you pay to send them off, you never know, one of the smart people might be able to spot the problem.

I’m curious as well. That is half the reason I offered. The other half being that I’m just such a nice guy. :innocent: :wink:

I will make sure to take plenty of pictures of any issue that I find so we can all be aware of possible counterfeits.

I think that is a great idea as well. I only offered because it sounded like he didn’t really feel comfortable tearing into them.

They’re already boxed up to send to TheDude otherwise I’d take pictures*. Yes, I’d appreciate knowing what’s wrong with them along with the forum. Ultimately though I’d like to be able to work on them in the future.

What are the required pliers called?

They do say Convoy on them. But Convoy has square threads, yes? These have ordinary machine threads. Let me check the ones that are still working, for their threads…. (pitter patter of feet….) ordinary machine threads. If a counterfeit would have a bad build, all I can say about these is that if they’re counterfeit they are built pretty good. They just don’t work. :slight_smile: Very curious about this.

*The package was just picked up by USPS.

Thanx for doing this Dude.

I’m very impressed with these lights when they work. That’s why I have more coming in from Mountain Electronics. In rural Maine, and having small livestock that needs to be bedded down, and dogs, I use them many times every night.

Are more rugged lanyards available for them? If they have a weakness for the sort of use I put them to it’s the fish line lanyard. I rather not lose them in the pens that contain animal waste.

Thanks gents! I’m really impressed that someone would do this for me. I never expected this.

That’s why Richard sent you here. :wink:

In case you don’t know, Richard is also an active member here. His screen name is RMM. He’s very helpful, besides also being probably the best USA based vendor for flashlights and related goodies.

Care to tell us which was the third source? Just for the record, it’s useful to state and look up their record.

> required pliers

Either needlenose pliers, or split-ring pliers, or sturdy metal tweezers, or put a couple of little nails the right diameter at the right separation in a piece of wood.
You shouldn’t have to twist too hard.

I have retainer ring pliers but typically just use really fine point needle nose pliers.

Yes my Convoy C8s have square ano’d threads for the tail cap.

No worries. I’m certainly not the most knowledgeable modder here at BLF, not by a long shot, but I have the time and the means so I’m glad to help.

+!

Ordered these 2016 High Quality 5” Internal Bent Needle Tip Nose Circlip Snap Ring Plier Cutter Tool
http://s.aliexpress.com/NNBVBreQ
(from AliExpress Android)

Cheap and since I have them no more problems getting those rings out.

I use these… Hand-pick the set with the best tips from the bin, then you can dress the tips out with a file when you get home… :nerd_face:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-3-4-quarter-inch-needle-nose-pliers-40696.html