Which movie did you watch lastֻ

Little Murders is one of my favorites. I mentioned it in Post #831 in this sub-forum. Still relevant today. I had given my DVD away, and when I went to buy it again, I couldn’t get it in the US. Had to buy it overseas.

Yeah, the studios took control of movies again when Jaws and Star Wars showed them how lucrative the movie business can be if they spend a lot on advertising and make movies 10-25-year-olds want to see.

Watched the latest Ryan Reynolds movies, Free Guy and The Adam Project. Since I used to play a lot of video games when I was younger, I thoroughly enjoyed Free Guy. Lots of action and very funny. The Adam Project was pretty good too being another funny action / sci-fi film.

La Strada (1954) - unforgettable, thanks to Giulietta Masina, Anthony Quinn, and of course Federico Fellini.

Nightmare Alley
Good, entertaining movie. Maybe Guillermo del Toro not finest, but worth watching.

even in black-and-white with cheapo-cheapo production values…
still good enough to watch all the way through (only 69 minutes).

"Little Murders" (1971)

Ah... post #831. Okay, found it:

I guess we both like this one a lot.

I was pleased to find Little Murders on YouTube. Not sure how long it's going to last, but if you don't mind watching long YouTube videos, it's the full movie.

Deep Rising (1998)

It was OK. I knew going in that the CGI would be dated but I was hoping for a fun action romp. After all, the director is Stephen Sommers who directed The Mummy a year later. I think the concepts were all good and the casting wasn’t bad. Everything else is just mediocre though. I did laugh at a couple of outrageous parts but I don’t know if it was supposed to be funny.

Cate Blanchett is one of those actors that “does it for me,” as Scarlett Johansson does it for so many. I’ll definitely have to catch this—thanks!

locally, the rain has discouraged us
from leaving the house, so we watched
another movie yesterday afternoon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyagers\_(film)

essentially, Lord of the Flies in Space,
except LOTF is much better.
do not pay to watch this.

Me too.

Love her from Coffee and Cigarettes 2003 too

Cate Blanchett is one of those actors that “does it for me,” as Scarlett Johansson does it for so many. I’ll definitely have to catch this—thanks!
[/quote]

Definitely —— Ever since I saw her in “The Gift” , I try to watch whatever she’s involved in

you folks and your Cate Blanchett….

one of our neighbors resembles her
without Hollywood makeup, and
maybe the same age (never asked).

some say “she has had some work done”.

I’m not sure if you guys are talking about physical attractiveness too or just acting skill. I don’t find Cate Blanchett very attractive but she is definitely a good actress. From a personal standpoint she was miscast as Galadriel because I just can’t relate to Gimli’s obsession with her beauty. Then again, dwarvish women have beards so Gimli clearly has a different set of beauty standards.

Youse are talking about “Lord Of The Rangs”?

That’s being absolutely shredded online, and rightly so. It’s basically raping Tolkien’s works in one eye socket and then the other, repeatedly.

The writers even admitted they have zero rights to the works, which is why they’re “loosely retelling it”. Compressing 1000s of years in the stories to just a few years in the movie, “reimagining” it to bringing it more in-line with “today’s values”, and just mangling it beyond recognition. It’s more fanfic than anything Tolkien would’ve done.

Eg, Galadriel was the epitome of femininity, but in the “retelling” she’s some sort of Xena Warrior Princess who rose up and led armies. Uhhh, yeah.

It might appeal to people who know zero about Tolkien’s works, but it’s pissing off not just hardcore fans, but even normies who saw the trilogy.

Then you got the “superfans” videos, that are beyond laughable.

You want a real hoot, seek out Ryan Kinel’s channel, RKOutpost, and just start from the beginning. He calls it like he sees it, and it’s hilarious… and spot-on!

Oh, and the movie’s being released on the anniversary of Tolkien’s death, which is eerily appropriate.

Are you referring to the Amazon series that’s being worked on? Haven’t looked into it much. Assumed it would be dumpster fire because I heard rumors it would have an erotic element like Game of Thrones. Shows a lack of respect to the source material.

Game of Thrones was it’s own thing. But now apparently people think copious amounts of nudity are what made it good and is what future fantasy projects need to be successful.

Oh, dumpster-fire doesn’t even begin to describe it.

I can’t think of any examples offhand, but I imagine I saw movies “based on” a book, which had almost nothing in common with said book, yet to me the movie was pretty good. But people who’ve read the books were furious. Moreso when major characters were X-swapped for no good reason.

The general reaction of this was that harpies wanted to crap all over JRRT’s works and “rewrite them in their own image”. Hence, it’s nothing like the original work or anything based on it, but just badly-written fanfic.

Never followed it. I think I stumbled upon the first season and still have copies buried somewhere, maybe on a flash-thingy, but never watched it.

Anyhoo…

Like just imagine if someone wanted to “reboot” the movie “The Sound Of Music”, making the nanny a Rambo-esque heroine who took on the Reich all on her lonesome, to get the kids to the Alps.

It’d be tres kewl, but it wouldn’t quite be TSOM anymore, now would it?

Watched “The Green Knight”
Based on tale from Arthur’s time. Supposedly there are several variations.
I read one of them in jr. or high school.

But this movie - Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

Sure I get there is lots of fore shadowing and back shadowing (if there is such a thing).

This one makes the Seventh Seal seem like a Disney simple plot.
Never really did figure out what the heck went on.

Not my bag.
All the Best,
Jeff

7.8/10 good movie.
Dinner in America

Watched “The Eternals”. It was better than I thought it would be. If you like the Marvel movies, give it a watch. If you don’t like the Marvel movies, you probably won’t like this much either.

An American in Paris (1951)

Incredibly overrated. It appears that the budget was blown on the gratuitous dance numbers that had very little connection with the story. The actions of the main character while pursuing a girl were downright creepy and probably grounds for a restraining order. The final nail in the coffin was an abrupt ending without dialogue. They had 17 minutes to spare on a dream sequence, but couldn’t spend any time on a proper denouement? Ridiculous

If you want to see a classic musical with Gene Kelly watch Singin’ in the Rain. It has some of the same excesses but manages to still pull off a complete and satisfying narrative.