Which one? Leatherman squirt or Gerber dime.

Well RC they are that cheap, I’d recommend buying one even if it’s just to keep in the glove box of the car, but seriously, buying the ‘right’ multitool is a bit of a minefield.
Though they all at first glance look the same (ish) each one comes with a strong point and a weak point (as well as a price point) plus have ‘x’ but don’t have ‘y’ so it’s a game of trade offs. For me it had to have good sized usable scissors, it had to have proper usable pliers and it had to have both types of screwdrivers and lastly I wanted something compact and relatively light - one of those bigger tools would likely be too much weight to carry round in smart trouser pockets.
The weak point of the Nextool (moreso the bits I personally use) is probably the pliers, though they work fine in most cases every now and again I wish I had a bigger more beefy set, but the trade off would be size and weight - no little pliers no matter what price the item is will replace the grip of bigger pliers sadly! They are very funtional, but not 100% up to my needs.
Now the SOG powerpint is WAY better in that area, plus it’s still quite compact (and it also holds hex screwdriver bits, another big plus) but the scissors are way too small, which is pretty much the case on all multitools regardless of the price. I really like the HouHou one you posted further back in the thread as that has fantastic scissors, but of course they don’t have pliers (see what I mean, minefield). I could do without a knife or saws etc, and many of the other bits too. There is just nothing out there that fits my needs and I have looked long and hard!
I wish there was a tool that was a reasonable price and good quality that maybe you could choose the components on…… I’d have big pliers (from the powerpint), big scissors (from the HouHou), 4 (2 crosspoint, 2 slotted) good screwdrivers (2 big, 2 small) and a case opener plus the hex bit holder would be a big plus for security bits. All the ones on the market seem to be designed for being stranded on a desert island with just that tool! I need an engineer at work version!

I’ve got a couple of different Gerber models including the Dime. I did manage to break off the cutting blade stop on a Dime when cutting open heavy duty cardboard boxes. To be fair I should have been using a larger tool. The blade now rotates past being straight to the handle- the blade itself didn’t break.

I´ve carried a Gerber MP400 for 20 years and that thing is good! Now somewhat retired but still very nice to use. I bought a Vic Spirit couple of years ago, it´s mostly used inside the house for it has tight tolerances and the finishing is very fine and slippery. Tools are excellent, i think that the Vic is more of an instrument than tool.

I do lot of carpentry and have a house to maintain so i needed something more to take on the dirtyer jobs. Comparing all the multis´ on the market i chose between LM Wave, SOG Poweraccess and Gerber Centerdrive, and the Gerber was winner.
LM doesn´t have standard size bits, and i love the sliding pliers on my old Gerb. Also Centerdrive, while not having that many tools in it, don´t have unnessessary tools like can/bottle opener (or has, but not separate tools) or plethora of flatheads.
It´s a big, robust tool with hefty pliers, big knive, good screwdriver and couple more, really diggin´ it!

So, the Gerber is big, fine when wearing my working gear but what about other times? I´ve used to carry somekind of tools with me almost all the time for a good reason; i need them all the time. There are packages to open, screws that are lose, apples to peel, threads to cut, pins to pull out etc.
So i got myself a Gerber Slimdrive, a very nice idea but not that well executed. And no pliers. Some Victorinox basic models are way better. Then i bought the Gerber Dime to get lost in my pocket but the thing was nearly useless to me. My son likes it anyway, tinkering with computers.

Then i thought to go something different and ordered a SOG Powerpint. Now been carrying it for few weeks it is quite nice tool, small but still a real multitool with pocketclip and useful tools. Had to sharpen the blade, it was dull out of the box but now it is really good. Also pretty thin profiled so really useful. I ground the heaf of a (pretty useless) file to be a chisel, and planning to modify the can and bottle openers to something useful. So personally i can really recommend it!
If Victorinox someday makes that kind of tool count me in for it!

edit: Forgot my Gerber Suspension NXT i also have… And TBH, so should you. Don´t even consider it, looks kinda cool but the thing just terrible… :confounded:

Interesting thread, I’m on my second LM Squirt after I lost the first to airport security (it’s compact size and ability to be unnoticed on a keyring was it’s downfall).

Scissors were good until they ‘crossed’ and one of the blades now has a chip/burr :person_facepalming: .

I’ll keep an eye on the Nextool mini, it’s currently like £22 on aliexpress after tax/shipping etc.

The SOG PowerLitre looks good but at £82 it’s hard to justify.

I ordered my Powerpint from Ali, less than 30€, SOGs are there and they are cheap!

Look on Aliexpress for the powerpint/powerlitre/power access - they are all much cheaper too! The power access pa1001 is around £32 delivered, the powerpint (pp1001) and powerlitre (pl1001) are about £30.
I think those item codes are right -if you want black it wil be pa1002/pp1002 etc. Be aware the cheapest prices are bare tool if you wan the bit sets and holster it bumps it up by a 1/3rd

Just search sog multitool. I nearly went for the powerpint last night, until I realised it’s CNY in a few weeks, so if not desperate you might get a better deal, at least I’m hoping that!
I think this is the cheapest PP - Powerpint
Powerassist
Powerlitre

If you like fakes, there’s Leatherman and Victorinox multis on ali too.

Very interested in this, can someone post purchase link, apologies if this was posted already.

I’ve got a Power Pint. The pliers are great for the size of the tool - equivalent or better than the Leatherman Juice. The rest of the tools leave a lot to be desired. The knife blade isn’t too bad, nor is the serrated blade. The screwdrivers are not great; they’re both too small to be used on most actual screws yet too small to be used on kids’ toys or glasses. the scissors, file, and can opener are terrible.

just an alternative idea, especially considering the sand. I carry victorinox handyman because it is small and has lots of tools. It has wood saw and file / hack saw, scissors, pliers, tweezers, pin etc etc - oh and an awl which is very useful for drilling holes and sewing thick leather etc. I keep the handyman in a length of bicycle inner tube; zip tied closed at one end, the other end folds over and is held with a rubber band. I consider the tube and rubber band part of my edc kit too - they can be used for other purposes.

The pliers are very light duty and very precise - I’ve used them as tweezers many times. To compensate I also carry knipex cobra 100mm pipe wrench - these are much more versatile and strong than any combo type plier. They’re incredibly small and light. I have one in urban and an outdoor/remote edc kits.

I’m not sure what link you mean or what product, but there’s some in my post above yours if that is what you mean?

Thanks

Having tried dozens of multitools in the past 30+ years, I can say with 100% certainty Leatherman is the absolute best. SOG is ok. Gerber is Chinese garbage. SA is excellent quality but the design is antiquated.

When buying a multitool, the question should not be which multitool to get but which Leatherman to get.