Which one will be brighter?

Hey guys,

I don’t have any equipment for measuring lumens etc so I am coming to you all to get an answer based on your knowledge.

I have a Trustfire X8 which I modified with an MT-G2 on a Noctigon and a 3.5A 3-mode multi-cell driver from IOS. I drilled and tapped some holes and screwed the Noctigon to the pill, I used AS5 thermal compound, I put a new AR coated lens in it and added some copper braid to the battery springs. Now, since I first saw the Eagletac MT-G2 equipped SX25L3, I wanted it. So I am thinking about gifting my modded X8 to a good friend of mine and buying the SX25L3 so I still have an MT-G2 light as I love the tint and the massive flood they have and don’t really like the long form factor of the X8.

Now I am pretty sure the SX25L3 would definitely be brighter, but the last thing I want to do is spend the ~$150 on it and find it isn’t as bright as my modded X8 which I would have given away. That would just really annoy me.

So, am I right in thinking that the SX25L3 will be brighter or at the very least just as bright?

Cheers,
Tim

not sure tbh, I didn’t think the manufacturers were over driving mt-g2’s like we are.

In light of you giving the light away……can I be your friend? it sounds like a really nice build, how about a mod thread?

Taken from here, it shows that 3A is just under 1900 lumens.
And since yours is in a relatively X8 host after a minute or two the output would probably drop a little.

If the SX25L3 is brighter than 1900 lumens, then I guess go for the SX25L3? Personally I like modded lights over stock lights but eh.

I am using a 3.5A driver which according to that chart should mean I am in the region of 2100 lumens. Although one thing I didn’t do which I am regretting now is upgrade the wires that were already attached to the driver board. I am not sure if that will be holding it back or not? With a body earth spring soldered to the driver board/pill and the driver being soldered to the pill (i.e. 4 spots holding the driver to the pill) I am not keen on pulling it apart again to replace the wires.

The SX25L3 is rated at 2750 Lumens or 2375 ANSI FL-1 Lumens. So technically it should be brighter I suppose. Since modding a few lights I have to agree I am pretty stoked at the results I have gotten however I just love the look and size of the SX25L3 and it has a light textured reflector which I like. Also I am not to keen on the series configuration lights with the long narrow handles and big head on the end. Out of all my current lights my TN30 is my favourite in terms of physical size/shape.

I have an EagleTac SX25L3 and its much brighter than my 3 amp custom build MT-G2. Selfbuilt over on that other forum rated it at 2450 lumens. It’s tiny when you consider that they put 3-18650’s in it.

Hmm I am not sure either, although based off the chart that slewflash linked it would seem based off Eagletac’s tech specs that they are driving it harder than the 3.5A which I am driving mine at??

haha usually I wouldn’t be giving it away as I have a bit invested in it but this particular friend has helped me out heaps recently with my engine which I spun a big end bearing in and being a pretty switched on bloke with a lot of mechanical knowledge and one who loves all sorts of gadgets, I thought this would be a perfect gift. He will certainly appreciate it!

Great news! That what I want to hear! haha Thanks!

I have found another test by Match.

Match’s tests show that at 3.5A it’s roughly 2200 lumens, and djozz’s show at 3.5A roughly 2100 lumens.

10% lumen upgrade is barely noticeable. When you need 4x the lumens to notice a 2x increase, that means a 10% lumen upgrade is perceived as a 2.5% upgrade which is virtually imperceptible.
Now it just comes down to form factor, and which one you like better.

That’s interesting. As far as form factor and which one I like better the SX25L3 wins hands down for me, albeit I haven’t ever seen one in the flesh, based of its dimensions and the look of it I know I will far prefer it. Essentially as long as it isn’t going to be less bright than my MT-G2 X8 it’s a winner. Everything about it I prefer, my only hesitation was I didn’t want to get it and find it isn’t even as bright as my X8 which I think we have established won’t be the case. It might not be much brighter but it certainly isn’t less bright.

im on the fence in purchasing on of these too. i know for a fact that i want a light with a mt g2.
and ive heard that this light is the most powerful mt g2 light as of right now on the market. which is gravy, and i do like the size and form factor.

but i dunno, after buying some modded lights, i feel 2700 isnt enough. im sorta waiting on someone to mod theirs, and or another company to come out with a multiple mt g2 light that will produce 4000 lumens or something.

would this light be similiar to the terminator as far as output and flood?

haha a multi MT-G2 light would be one hell of a light. If driven correctly the output would be immense! Personally the output they can achieve as a single emitter in a relatively small light is fine for me. I have TN30 as my multi-emiter but really like the MT-G2 tint so couldn’t get rid of my X8 without having another to replace it! I think the SX25L3 will definitely be the right replacement for me.

i am following your threads lsx .. i got myself the SX25L3 mt-g2 and in my collection it's now the #1 top performing light. also smaller, compacter, lighter than my TM15!!

luv it :love:

What is the usable lens diameter on the SX25L3 MTG-2?

the otf lens diameter is 39.85mm equalling the inner diameter of the SS bezel (KIT version) :)

Thanks.