Which UltraFire C8?

If you want one to use as just a host for adding your own innards, this one is a nice starting point: http://www.fasttech.com/products/1206100

The bezel is STAINLESS. And despite the description, the reflector is aluminum (and the standard reflector size of 41x31, but the reflector it comes with works better than the XML-specific ones when using a de-domed XML, so that's the one internal part you'll want to reuse).

comfy - I just got in 2 of these and looked at them - not the standard C8 threads though, but I do like them to mod up with the true SS bezel. So, can't use available brass pills (FT, LCK-LED) or copper pills from VOB. Interesting about the reflector in that it works well with de-domed XML's... Thanx.

Nothing at all wrong with the lightmalls one. I have not always been happy with their products or customer service but their C8 is a quality light and very bright. Of course it comes with the blinky modes that are obnoxious. But other than that it’s a great light.

I would probably go with the Fast Tech convoy one though, simply because their return policy is better and you can customize the light.

That's odd, I got one a few months ago, and it takes the standard pills fine. I wonder when/why they changed it?

I'll double-check this evening, but pretty sure, because I was looking at having to use their stock pill because none of my spares fit, and noticed they got the simple press fit driver into aluminum - ugh, so may have to adapt a brass ring or get a Nanjg to press fit (tap notch's in the pill, etc.). I could be wrong, but pretty sure. Think the depth of the pill was more shallow too.

This is what came in mine. Some minor differences, but none that matter. Top surface is the same height in relation to the underside of the flange. Thread ODs are .894" for the AL, .896" for the brass (from FT also).

Is because in the OP he posted he didn't want to go above 20.00.

Thanks for all the input. Wasn’t expecting this many people to contribute… but its awesome.

So from the Fast Tech Convoy C8 models… what are the differences? I’m new to the who LED flashlight thing, I can see that there are differences in light source model and bin, and the number difference of the mA, but no idea which is better.

Is the one that “cat eyes” linked to the best out of the Fast Tech ones?

Thanks again.

Has an older emitter I would double check with either comfychair or Tom E .

The FastTech C8's unfortunately are not available with XM-L2's, but still, the Convoy's may be the best option for the cost, and the fact you can run them in a Hi-Med-Lo- mod arrangement (no blinkies), which sounds like what you want. You could check out Simon's site on AliExpress here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Convoy-c8-strong-light-flashlight-cree-xml-u2-t6-torchy/826040641.html, and you can pm him on the site to request a quote for an XM-L2 version. FastTech has a nice C8 holster for cheap also - didn't see Simon listing one.

The one he linked:
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002364/1272100

Is a good light. The 2800mah will give more light output than the 2100mah version (It will also heat up a bit faster).

A few weeks ago I went with this one:
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002364/1212407
The difference being the Orange peel reflector. It makes a fantastic beam profile that is a great in-between of flood and throw.

Both of these are older emitters though. XML T6.

Convoy L4

25,8$ after coupon code..

Easily the best looking and best built C8 style light for the price if you ask me. The one I got from WB even came with a copper mcpcb.

Order from Simon@Aliexpress if you want tint options. As is stock, its a great light.

Extra copper braid on the springs is recommended if you want to stay at max output longer (standard recommendation for all single cell lights using XM-L2). Its almost an insult to the light to compare it with a regular C8. Its just a step up IMO.. :)

Best budget C8 = Convoy C8.

Best C8 = Xintd C8..

Best C8 style light = Convoy L4

XM-L2-t6 and t5,nice!

I don’t have any way of accurately testing it because my multimeter is junk. But with this junky one a 3amp driver in one of my lights is reading right at 2amps and the lightmalls C12 I have is showing 2.6amps. The C-8 has been said to be a little brighter than the C12 by the people who have both but I can’t verify that. Although it’s only showing .6amps more it could be even more considering that the as it gets more amps it’s off by more and more. So I would so it’s possible that it is running 4amps. But definitely brighter than a regular 2.8amp C8.

BG has Convoy C8 on sale now. $15.05 with XML2 T6-4C.
coupon: gbfmc
They have other emmiter options as well that will cost a bit cheaper.

4C, that’s incandescently warm a tint, isn’t it?

It’s in the 4.5k area, I’m not a tint expert but I think it’s more like neutral-warm, not incan-warm. Anyway, you can choose 1A option if 4C is too warm for your taste.

I recall the LM C8 XML U2 I had bought last year was direct drive, so, all depends on the cell's resistance. Put a Samsung 20R and you could get 5+A, a weaker UltraFire 1.5A (). Taking guess's but you get the point. don't believe the listings for amps. FastTech does the same thing - idiots, actually took amp measurements for a HD2010 running the East-092 driver and listed those amps as a spec for the light, while the truth of the matter was the amps directly depends on the cell you use. Lights like that LM C8 and the Keygos KE-5 are so highly touted because of the brightness which is really coming from the fact of it's screaming over amperage with all it's side effects (output and heat sag, etc.) because the rest of the light is not designed for those high amps. With this said, the LM XM-L2 C8's should be better because the XM-L2's will drive down the amps as compared to XML's, so should be safer.

Tom E glad you are here to answer such questions.

Thanks Tom, Good info there.