Which XP-G2 for a Convoy S2 triple?

tristanxoxo wrote:
ImA4Wheelr wrote:

Good call on the 219C. Should make for a very nice triple. Please keep us posted.

I don’t understand why folks are saying the 219C can’t take DD. I have a couple lights with them that are DD. They seem to be quite happy. Can someone point me to where it was determined the 219C shouldn’t be DD’d?

I’m not sure…but I thought I read people saying that Qlites should be used instead. I’ll have to go through the thread to see if I can find it.

I wasn't trying to call you out. You don't need to look anything up. I've read comments along that line too. I think I know where they started. I think the Member was really just theorizing and others took it as fact.

My understanding is that the 219C can take so much amperage, that most (all?) cells voltage sag below a level that will blow the emitter. Maybe it isn't healthy for the emitters, but I find emitters tend to get obsolete way before they get any real mileage in a flashlight. As far as PWM creating high voltage pulses (due to lack of cell voltage sag) that could blow an emitter, I don't know any good intel on that. I'm not witnessing any problem with it in my lights. I have read about people experimenting with high voltages coupled with PWM to get emitters to new levels of output, but I don't know any details about that type of stuff though. I hear a lot of people making statements that sound factual. I would just like to see the facts if anyone is aware of them.

This.

219c

sub

The way I read it was that they would handle the current (amperage) but the voltage was over the vF, then they would dissipate the rest as heat instead of light until the volts fell… Unless you got over 7 amps above 3.55vF, then you may blow the emitter…

If the majority of the excess voltage is bled as heat, and the emitter is on a copper DTP, should be no issues… I have been running one in my Eagle Eye A6 which pulls about 3A at the tail in stock form… I also have on in a 1A current limited driver, both seem fine, both are on copper…

I am limited in any specific knowledge on these issues, so someone else feel free to correct me…

Once you get above 6.5amps (per emitter) the output actually starts decreasing. You will have less lumens at 7amps than you would at 6.5amps. The low Vf means that these high currents are attainable with a single cell vs Cree emitters that top-out well-under 6amps. A triple 219c may be more feasible though, because it is unlikely that a single cell will support 6.5amps to each emitter (19.5amps) for long. However, Dale did a quad that pulled over 20amps from an HE4.

Actually blowing the emitters is unlikely, Djozz ran them to 10amps and they never blew. You just get less lumens if you run them over 6.5amps.

And remember, the heat in a tiny S2+ is going to be ridiculous on a FET. A normal Fet-driven triple XP-L might pull 10 amps, a triple 219c could do close to double that, and double the heat. Get ready for short turbo-timers.

^

So how long does a single cell drive a 7amp load to a 219C?

Not very long!

But in a tube light, your hand would melt first.

I guess you’d have to compare HKJ’s and Djozz’s graphs to find out

One could do that. Or they could just not use a top of the line high discharge cell.

Also true.

I’ve also been wondering if the 219c would give an advantage in lights that use a boost driver.

This may be related to the post I made about my A6 when I replaced the 3D with the 219C. My light didn’t handle it well. I still don’t know what went wrong but it looks like it may have been an isolated incident. At the time the thinking was that DD may not be appropriate for the 219C. My experience seemed to back that up. If it will help I’ll go back and edit the post.

Your theory may be right though. Once I put mine together, I’ll try it with a FET driver and report back.

SciFiFreak wrote:
ImA4Wheelr wrote:
I think I know where they started. I think the Member was really just theorizing and others took it as fact.

This may be related to the post I made about my A6 when I replaced the 3D with the 219C. My light didn’t handle it well. I still don’t know what went wrong but it looks like it may have been an isolated incident. At the time the thinking was that DD may not be appropriate for the 219C. My experience seemed to back that up. If it will help I’ll go back and edit the post.

I wasn't thinking about that. That is a good thing you reported and it could be what pilotdog68 was talking about in Post 17 above. I agree with what PD68 posted. I just don't think it is an issue unless you:

• Do everything you can to get rid of all electrical resistance,
  • Use a very capable high drain cell,
  • and use only one emitter

Even then, testing and reports indicate the emitter would tolerate it. I just don't see why someone would do the above in an EDC. They will either go big emitter (XML or XPL) or multi-emitter.

If proper dedoming ends up turning the emitter into a super thrower, then I see the above situation happening. I just think most of us are going to put this emitter in EDC's (especially AA & AAA) or in multi-emitter lights like tristanxoxo is planning on doing.

I'm using SDI INR 18650-25's in my single 219C lights. They seem happy so far, but I admit that I don't usually use high mode for extended periods.

I’ve got an extra 1040mA Convoy S2 that I’m dying to mod into a triple led beast, but I haven’t got the faintest clue on where to start. I have basic soldering tools and wires, but don’t know where you guys are getting your triple leds. Are you buying stars and putting emitters on them yourselves? Where do you get the driver boards? I’ve looked at my usual online stores like FT and BG but don’t see anything except a triple XR-E with a small driver dangling from the back of it. Does anyone have links to triple xp-g/xp-g2 stars, TIR optics, and drivers? I think I’ve seen some triple optics at FT, but if you have better options, I’m all ears/eyes. :slight_smile:

Mountain Electronics.

I have an XP-l HI triple and really like it with the carlo elliptical optic, also from mtn. I use it on a Qlite with STAR firmware. You need a spacer and mtn has them too. Nice wide beam. Trick is in assembling it to get the ellipse shape oriented so the flat spot on the S2 side faces up. That’s not necessary, just my OCD kicking in. :slight_smile:

They also have XP-G2 triples.

I was hoping you wouldn’t say it was from Mountain Electronics. I currently live overseas in east Asia so shipping would cost more than the items themselves. :slight_smile: Wish I was back in the states now, but it is what it is.

Also, I tend to think that OCD really stands for Observantly Careful and Direct. At least that’s what I tell myself. :bigsmile:

Intl-Outdoor they should eliminate the shipping issue with everything but the spacer…

As for the spacer, THIS thread has an idea, but I do not know if it would be available in your area…

Awesome! I also found a local electronics parts store near my house and it was a veritable gold mine of gadgets and gizmos. Even found some cheapo 3W leds mounted to Al stars for less than $1 a pop. It’ll be fun just playing with these until I get the good stuff. I’d rather practice on the cheap stuff in case I do something wrong.