Whohoo BLF A6 A17DD Drivers at bangood for $6

Just picked up a few of these , at this price I could not resist. Gotta love BLF.

I hope no one buys this thinking it is a 3A driver as stated though.

Whohoo? :evil:

Quote original A6 thread
1/6/15: Stock lights are on the way to be modified with Wight’s driver so that this light/driver combination can be tested and demonstrated. The actual production run (light and driver) will be by EE Manker. The A17DD-SO8 driver will not be manufactured for sale separately nor does anybody have permission to do so except by individuals for personal use. (The A17DD-SO8 driver will be available in the future from RMM’s store: http://www.mtnelectronics.com/)

That should go the same way for the +1 driver as well, I hope everybody who buys this driver, remembers how much effort went into try to keep the driver exclusive.
Any person can now buy this driver, they might see the Alex Wells and Wight name but they probably won’t even acknowledge the hard work that went into it, and I’m pretty sure Wight isn’t getting anything from it either.

+1

But what is the proper course of action?

everyone is going to assume “Alex Wells” gets paid for his drivers. :frowning:

I almost ordered the driver on Oshpark, then realized that the PSMN3R0-30YLD in wights’ list is very difficult (expensive) to source.

building this driver yourself without having the parts is going to be more expensive, especially with shipping.

fair price on Banggood, does anybody know how many amps the banggood driver does? same performance as the groupbuy driver?

Actually come to think about it banggood should be giving free drivers to me and everyone else who got defective BLF A6’s to compensate for all the time, effort, emitters and glue required to get them to work properly. This driver and firmware is definitely the best part of the light by far and my second favourite ever after the ld-2 :). Thank you Wight and Toykeeper.

I don’t know why but I never could get past 4.2A from my BLF A6 yellow driver but with a self built FET+1 A6 FW from MTN I get up to 5A with the same led and battery. Both driver have modded spring and 22AWG wire. And my first driver came defective so BG had sent me a new one.

If you can solder I recommend buying the blank board and the components from Richard instead. (Will end up costing about the same). Somehow I just can’t trust this yellow driver enough, purple is the way to go :slight_smile:

I agree, picked up 3 of Richards drivers with the a6 firmware when they were on sale for $8 “just in case”, then because i had them of course i used them up already. In my case I ordered 6 x BLF A6’s and the drivers were the only component that worked perfectly on all lights :slight_smile:

I do not necessarily agree with how things went but I'm glad that this driver is now for sale separately for a good price from a for everybody accessable seller. The development was done here on BLF by a good many people, some actually doing stuff and many others discussing about it, and now it is available for everyone, the first advanced direct driver for modern leds on copper boards. I'm also glad that it is build with less-quality components than RMM's version (and has a slightly different firmware too?) so that there's good reason to buy his version too.

So did we ever find out if wight is ok with it?

Or more delicate: Richard, who has done his part in the process too.

Yes ^

Was thinking the same thing.

I have been playing with both versions and cant find a difference in the firmware, however i can say that Richards build quality is far superior to Bangoods. If there was a difference i wish it was a user programmable turbo timer :slight_smile: built a 219c triple with bangood version and found out the turbo timer is a little bit to long. ill definitely need to order a RMM version with shorter turbo timer for this light before i burn the house down.

!!

Wow! Good info though.

RMM’s version has a lower moonlight and instead of having a bike flasher, it’s more of a beacon. Turbo step down is also more abrupt.

I look at it this way…I like to support the folks that support BLF. It may cost a little more but you know you’re getting quality stuff with no missing parts.

yeah, me too.

will order from RMM or Oshpark. also building it yourself is a learning experience.

Ouch! I did the 219C triple with BLF-A6 driver mod too, and even worse, in Rey's titanium host (I wrote about it here, last post #263: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/34275), and definitively the turbotimer is too long, on a 30Q I risked my life (well, ok, my light, =about the same) keeping it on Turbo for 30 seconds for measurement, it survived but I'm not sure if it would have survived much longer than that.