Why do Green LEDs throw farther than White LEDs?

I was watching the new Acebeam L19 specs and I noticed that the green LED option has a higher throw number than white.

Then I noticed this with their other flashlights as well.

How come?

Green = 1520 meters

White = 1300 meters

I am no expert but I believe the wave lenght of green light carries more energy and therefore shines further. I think red light has the most energy but takes to much energy to convert or something.

hmmm.... interesting....

I know our eyes are more sensitve to green light than any other color and will always appear brighter for the same lumen count. the Higher in frequency the light is the more energy per photon it has, red would have the least in this case. But in reds defence it Should be able to travel furthest in an atmosphere because it`s longer wavelength will make it less Likely to encounter particles in the air than something Higher in frequency like Blue for instance, that`s why lower color temps work best in fog.

1 Thank

Nope.

The shorter the wavelength, the more the energy that light carries.

In a white LED (should it be more or less perfectly white), a considerable portion of light is emitted at those wavelengths, where human eye is less sensitive. If a LED emits its most light near the wavelength where human vision is most sensitive, then it can be more efficient.

Use the left function for the scotopic vision (where it is not enough light to get response from the color sensitive cells in the retina), and the right function for the photopic vision (color is perceived).

Maybe someone with more knowledge can jump in. I did read a artical once about that green cars are less likely to have an accident because of how the human eye is more sensitive to green.

But the throw of the light is meisured with a digital meter and not with human eye right.

Why does the higher luminous flux in the same die and same package throw further? :open_mouth:

Maybe some colors produce more photons at the same current but im not sure why.

Who knows, the same die and same package at the same current, but the one with the highest luminous flux will throw the farthest, that is quite unheard of.

The NM1 green die (1mm2) throwing more than the bigger white die PM1 (2mm2)?
Is that what you were watching? :smiley: Cause I kept looking at the nice bezel of the Acebeam L19.

Almost.

The unit “lumen” already accounts for the human eye’s sensitivity to various wavelengths.

So a green light will produce more lumen than a white or red one at the same power level.

Oh boy and the datasheets above say that. :open_mouth:

So there’s one way to make a white LED more efficient, make it greener.
And I think that is what’s happening for a couple of years now.

Yes that is one of the ways, of course in the last years it’s mostly lower forwards voltage at the same current which made them more efficient, they were greenish since ever anyway, it’s not a recent years thing to make it greener.

Yes, for example for 1W of radiant flux :

Royal blue blue (450nm) : 28.5lm
Green (520nm) : 441lm
red (620nm) : 216lm
deep red (660nm) : 22.6lm

The osram F1 is phosphor converted green so the blue LED with green phosphors on top, but while there is some radiant flux loss due to the phosphor conversion, luminous flux ends up higher.

1 Thank

When you give two people the same flashlights, they will record different Cd on their own meters.
Even when lights AND meters change hands, they will record different values.
So I will limit myself to revealing a percentage.

If it is just the change in color I don’t know, but I own a few C8’s equipped wit XP-E reflector.
After swapping a white 1mm² with a green 1mm², the candela on my meter exceeded that of my TN32.
If I use that percentage, and believe the claims of Thrunite that a TN32 does 250,000Cd,
my green C8 scored a quite decent 340,000+ Cd.
It even topped the results of the “old” white 1mm² and the 50+mm reflector of my “Fandyvoy” lego mod.

As layman I would say, the green has a better efficiency, AND can manage more amps in direct drive.

It’s the opposite of unheard of, it’s exactly what is expected. With all other things being equal increasing brightness increases throw otherwise all brightness modes on a single light would have the same throw.

This thread may help you understand more about throw: Flashlight Optics - Dome, Dedoming and Throw

white gives 15% less throw than green, but shows more accurate colors… :slight_smile:

fable:

She said: Honey, I see a big animal, way down yonder

He said: is it a Black Bear or a Brown bear?

She said: neither… it looks more like a Green animal, I cant tell if its a Bear….

He said: well, dont worry, animals cant see Green light, so they wont bother us

She said: oh, then, can we store food inside the tent?

:confounded:

now a true story
went camping with a friend and his wife
They were sleepig in a VW Van.

Wife made sure not to store food in the vehicle, due to bear warnings, but, instead of storing the food in the Bear Proof Locker provided at the campsite, she put it in the tent they use to store their gear, outside the vehicle.

Next morning… tent is shredded, food is gone
and apparently bears like toothpaste too :slight_smile:

no damage to the VW Van, nor its occupants.

Nobody saw what color the bear was… :person_facepalming:

The green led in these lights is a phosfor converted green, it uses the same blue led as a pump as white leds. In my test of this led I tried to explain why it throws better.