Why Have Lights UI’s Become So Complicated?

do you mean, click to turn on and change modes, click to turn off after several seconds(let’s say 10s) not using? What if I wanna turn off right after changing modes?

I think best way to make it simple is use two switches. One to turn on / off, the other to change modes.

The Skilhunt H03 UI but without sublevels, strobes hidden deeper, and hold for 0.2s for off would make a tremendous muggle friendly UI even wihout explanation of how it works.

like 3 seconds not ten .. if you click within 3seconds it goes to the next mode . Longer than 3seconds?. it shuts off and restarts in mode#1 at what ever you've set that mode to be . Archeon made this UI and if you held down on the button in any mode it smooth ramped so you could set any mode to any output . It's a very user friendly driver 'cept for it's foul low frequency PWM .

Beyond nostalgia for “the good old days”, I think there is something to be said for hardware controls. Having a physical slide switch or dial that sets the mode could offer a lot of advantages. You’d have an easy way to know and control the mode both before and after you turn on your light. You wouldn’t have to feed an electronic switch. For people who enjoy stuff like automatic watches and “steampunk”, the analog flair would be especially nice on brass models.

I’d love to see something like that with a nice, warm, high-CRI LED from Yuji or Nichia…

I like simple too. So simple in fact, that I do not even like a high/low on my lights when possible. On my Surefire P2X and P3X lights I opted for the tactical tailcaps. Press momentary on at 100% , full press constant on at 100% , press again for off.

I like them that way because I use them that way. The most complicated light I have is my Emisar D4. It is easy to remember all the modes and clicks on it, but sometimes if my timing is too fast I get blasted at close range with a 4,300 lumen bounce back, not fun. I actually like to carry it unlocked and in tactical mode when I am outside after dark. Just press for momentary 100% until my finger burns, about 10 seconds.

If you need easy peasy UI light then try a Sunwayman V11R or a Jet-Beam RRT01. All the variable brightness modes you want at your finger tips with a simple twist of the control ring. It doesn’t get any simpler than this. :wink:

I’m with BlueSwordM. I tinkered with my Q8 when I got it and have not changed it since. The battery check and lockout are simple enough for me to remember. User choices is nothing really new. Even back in the days of there only being clicky lights for the most part, there were drivers that offered many mode choices the user could select (guppydrvr, for example).

What does get me is that different lights use different firmware that just work differently, according to whatever the designer thought was best. That can make it difficult to keep track of the button presses needed. But that is life and freedom of choice to design and build the next great mousetrap…. :wink:

Easy fix, every light should ship with the “complicated” firmware set to “muggle” mode, which should always be the simplest, easiest way to use the flashlight (whether ramping or a few simple clicks). To get out of “muggle” mode should take an improbable set of steps. To get back to “muggle” mode should be a quick, simple, easy “factory reset”.

Tech support flunky: Hi, welcome to tech support. How may I help you?
Frustrated guy: Hello, my flashlight is doing weird things.
Tech support flunky: Hold the button down until it flashes a bunch of times, then let go
Frustrated guy: “a bunch of times”? what do you mean?
Tech support flunky: It’ll flash ten times, then it will stop flashing, then you can let go and your flashlight will be fixed.
Frustrated guy: Really? Are you sure? How do you know? I haven’t even told you which flashlight I have.
Tech support flunky: Trust me. This will do a factory reset and your flashlight will be simple and easy to use again.
Frustrated guy: Hey, that worked! Thanks!
Tech support flunky: You’re welcome, and thank you for calling tech support. Have a good day!
Frustrated guy: Thanks! Bye!
Tech support flunky: Good-bye.
…call ended…

I still only buy cars with radios that have 6 station buttons, a knob (on the left) for volume and a knob (on the right) for tuning. Classic UI!

I do more and more accident reports on distracted drives. Some only changing a channel or making a quick call trying to sync the phone to the car. Never done or heard of an accident while walking a dog that wasn’t dog related.
So we break it down to complicated UI’s for those only walking their dogs. Very simply UI’s for those who need light but it come’s in second to the job at hand, such as a building clearing.
Complicated UI’s for primary hand use. Easy UI’s for those using in off hand.
Complicated UI’s for those in park. Easy UI’s for those driving.

I still drive antiquated cars with no huge screens in the dash or all electronic controls. All this electronic stuff in modern vehicles are the first things that go south and it’s the most complaints folks have about newer vehicles. Kind of like lights nowadays but I still like them.

I still don’t understand why talking on a cell phone is illegal but new vehicles nowadays have screens in the middle of the dashes that distract drivers just as much?

Love it or leave it, these UI’s nowadays are for people that don’t use them except occasionally. Nothing wrong with that as I have many that I don’t use regularly and couldn’t as I would have to reacquaint myself to their complicated UI’s.

One last thing and is important to most. I don’t give a whit about turbo modes on lights nowadays that might last 2-3 minutes. It’s all about whether you actually use your lights or want to show them off. Again, wrong with that but lights are still tools and used for emergencies.

What you use them for, is personal preference and they still are fascinating!

Overly designed lights. Like the features, but have set a baseline on UIs. With so many models, I strive for the “will this feel right in my hand” and “will this be easy to work?”.
So the User Interface sets the the User Experience. First criteria. Second, what is intended use? Throwers or floodies I’ll select different tint options. Thirdly, in the field sometimes forget to have charged some of these lights, an on board charging is great for the lunch break top-up. No proprietary system - ubiquitous µUSB prefered (have many cables and chargers about house, car, shop).

So just set your needs in order of importance. Some options give some added value, others seldom used.