why is it called a 'flashlight' when it usually doesn;t flash

does anyone really believe this [from quora.com]?

=———
Why do Americans call them ‘’flashlights’’?

In 1899 an American created the first Flashlight - it was called this, rather than a torch because it did not give a constant light, but flashed as the incandescent bulbs of the time could not work at the low voltage of dry cells, so it had a high voltage coil system, rather like a car’s ignition circuit.
This device never came to Britain, as only a few weeks later, Joseph Swan, who invented the light bulb about 6 months before Edison, came up with a low voltage bulb, which, therefore, didn’t flash. It was called an electric torch, as it followed on from the traditional word for a portable light source, such as a burning brand.

The US, adopted the low voltage bulb soon after, but social inertia seems to have played its part here also, so the word flashlight was retained.

Wikipedia sort of agrees, but I like the Wiki explanation better. They mention the first filaments being carbon filaments (threads I believe). Flashlight - Wikipedia

Why do brits (and others) call gasoline, petrol?
To give someone a ride has completely different meanings in UK and US.

Chips and crisps or chips vs french fries

… and so on

Going out and smoking a fag in the US will end up in jail………

They also call anything on a hamburger bun a burger. That always bothers me. Burger implies ground meat formed into a patty. A piece of fried chicken on a bun isn’t a burger.

Torch would normally be used in Australia too. “Flashlight” is more likely to be confused with a camera flash here!

Petrol here as well, not gasoline.

Incidentally, this is the verified historical root of all the “__fire” branded flashlights.

Well, they can toss their crisps into the dust bin and I won’t lose a moment of sleep.

while they do that, i will be taking a “nappie”

I thought it was the battery that limited it to a flash.

What do Brits call actual torches?

And why did my Welsh fiance say that she would knock me up?

Strap on your bonnet and clean your boot.

elecric torch

actually wiki doesn;t say anything about ‘high voltage bulbs’, or ‘coil devices’
wle
Etymology
Early flashlights ran on zinc–carbon batteries, which could not provide a steady electric current and required periodic “rest” to continue functioning.[1] Because these early flashlights also used energy-inefficient carbon-filament bulbs, “resting” occurred at short intervals. Consequently, they could be used only in brief flashes, hence the common North American name “flashlight”.[2]

The reason Wiki gives for the US torch giving flashes makes more sense to me than the quora post. If the carbon-filament was left on too long it would burn out, literally. They were carbonized cotton thread. Some were bamboo I think. So the light was used in “flashes”. That’s the part that caught most of my attention.

I read some books about Colditz in 2004 or so and the British referred to them as electric torches. Maybe short name for this?

It’s a chickwich.

Jumping on the lift. The lorre is delivering my torch

A Nappie/nappy is a diaper.

Because most lights have PWM? /s :smiley:

Because Americans, despite using the English language, are totally incapable of grasping its correct use.

Hmm I don’t know about that, English people under the age of 25 are way worse! :stuck_out_tongue: No watta min blud innit…… :person_facepalming:
I don’t know what is happenning, it’s like they are so lazy now they can’t be bothered to actually pronounce words anymore, it’s gone from wannabe gangsta rap english, to some sort of Jamaican gangster muttering without moving their lips in recent years.
Worse still, they don’t even know what half the words you and I use mean any more! (and visa versa) this video pretty well sums it up, and shes wrong it’s not just in London, all teenagers speak like this!