Why low numbers entering the O-L contest?

It doesn’t need to be classic style. I’m going off the reservation with this one. Check out my build and see if it gives you inspiration :slight_smile:

Yeah, something different or unique is really going to stand out ;)

Roger 5/5

I was hesitating about the "no time" option and some other excuse but you got me back on the road ;)

A friend gave me a 21700 Convoy tube light with a 6500 K SST40 in it. I recently got some of the new 4750K and wanted to go with the whiter tint. Upon removing the brass pill I found 24 ga leads and very thin bypasses from the factory. So I cleaned the brass pill, squeezed a dollop of soldering paste in the middle, sat the new emitter on a new SinkPad and then placed it on the pill with the 2 screws started to ensure centering. Hit it from underneath with hot air and reflowed the star to the brass pill even as the emitter settled. Then put 22 ga leads on the driver, same in the springs, reassembled and the light is now fabulous! Took about 10 minutes.

This would qualify folks and the result is better tint, better thermal path, more power. You get a better flashlight and a contest entry for comparatively little effort. Easy Peasy! Cost was some $6 for the new emitter and a couple bucks for the star. I used cut-offs from scrap for the spring bypasses.

What is the O-L contest?

Its not something I’ve come across so far.
Might be an idea to give a little description about it in the OP.

Old Lumens Flashlight Modders & Builders Challenge 2019

There's a sticky on top of the "Giveaways and Contests" forum where you can see previous years editions

You are quite right, I had the same thoughts earlier as it goes - long time/ regular users will know exactly why it’s called this, the history and of course who who he was (sadly now deceased).
Maybe a little ‘history’ would not go amiss in the first paragraph. :slight_smile:

Ah, thanks Kame Sennin.

I’m terrible with acronyms :person_facepalming:

Looks like a really cool contest! I’ll have to spend some time looking through all the entry’s over the years.

I guess I didn’t know about it because I don’t look in that section of the forum.

Some history of how the yearly contest started:

Old-Lumens was a predominant member of Budget Light Forum who loved to make things, particularly flashlights and related items, with his own hands.

He went even further and encouraged others to do likewise by starting the annual Old-Lumens Contest which involves members making their own flashlight using only hand tools in one category or machines in another.

Sadly Justin (Old-Lumens) passed away in 2016, we here at BLF wish him to rest in peace and to continue to celebrate his life by hosting the yearly Old-Lumens Competition.

The Old Lumens BLF Contest Archive.

Thanks G0OSE and thank you CRX, a great way to commemorate someone who was an asset and inspiration to the forum and many people.

Looks like the number of contestants has doubled since I opened this poll. Thanks to everyone that has taken up the challenge so far :beer: :beer: I’m sure we’ll get a few more entries before time is up :slight_smile:

That's a really smart move you did here :

Nobody can resist a poll

+ Trying to find the right answer makes you realize you have no real good answer

+ (for the ones who were still hesitating) A well timed (and friendly) kick in the butt from Mr OL himself through DB Custom

= Everybody wants to be in

Admittedly I was hoping this would spur a few to enter. It does help to know where things could be done better. I’m a little surprised that nobody checked the “I don’t like the rules for (x) reason” even though it was kind of mentioned in discussion (year round).

At this point in time 53% of voters “feel they are not skilled enough, don’t mod, can’t afford it”. It sounds to me like they are interested in modding for themselves but don’t / can’t. Otherwise they could have voted for “not interested (just happy to watch)”. It’d be good to know how we can encourage these members to enter the world of modding.

I finally entered to hopefully inspire others with what can be done with just a 3D printer.
But to be honest, I felt intimidated by the massive time, effort, and skill that goes into every lathe owner’s entry. I still think, how would it even be fair for them not to win? Honestly.

^ and that was all before the contest even “officially” started. I’m saying it felt over before it started.

Steve double whammied it right out of the gate, lathe and milling skills looking superb! Of course I shouldn’t complain as he’s just testing those on his bike before sending them to me but still…

I entered but I know my efforts will be eclipsed by those that really know what they’re doing.

I’m not sure who Steve is, but now I have a guess. PLEASE don’t disqualify anyone just because of what I said. I’m just trying give feedback for next year’s sake.

MRsDNF used to always pounce on lights he liked, claiming they were made for him… old inside joke as it were. (;

You know what would be an excellent idea to inspire new contestants? A separate category for “First Time Contestants”. That way the noobs aren’t competing against the legends. That would be cool.

There is a place for everyone, the extremely skilled shouldn’t feel bad because that’s what they have learned with a lot of time & effort.
The less skilled people, well there’s no better way to improve than to practice and have the guts to enter.

Good on you guys :+1:

You never know what the Judges will like so can’t say who you think has already won.
Some of last years placings were certainly not what I thought they would be.