Why need higher lumens while it can last only a few seconds before stepping down or getting too hot?

My key-chain is a bottle opener from a pub I frequented as a young lad, it's been there no less than 20 years. Still serves me well.

Quite funny indeed. :-D

Cheers

X3 . I agree with the both of you. Other than “check this out” factor, if/when I use turbo it is usually to spot something, or check a “what was that?” off in the distance. 10-20 seconds max usually, unless its something I very interesting.

Short bursts of 3000 lumens in abandoned mines will ruin your night vision. Then 15 seconds later you have a flashlight much dimmer than what your eyes are now adjusted for.

No offense but I think this is post-purchase rationalization.

I don’t think Mike deliberately blinds himself when abseiling or when going into a mine. Plenty of places where 3000 lumen burst is simply not enough as Mike said himself… Pretty straight forward to me.
“Post purchase rationalization?” Wirklich?

This question / topic is a highly opinionated one, and pretty much guaranteed to spark controversy, if not an ought right argument (as evidenced by some of the ensuing exchanges) Even someone who gave several very legitimate uses was accused of “frivolous purchase justification”

Few gave answer to the OP’s underlying question of “which D4 model should I get?”

The real answer to these questions lies only in the specific needs or desires of the individual, of which can be quite diverse as evidenced by this quote:

The main word in that quote is the word “I”
Someone who is a beer drinker (not the cheap stuff) or even a “Craft Soda buff” would wholeheartedly disagree… :beer: :beer: :beer:

Different lifestyles, different vocations = different needs.

I posted my opinion earlier but here’s another one:

I’ll buy whatever I want, if I want and when I want, sometimes just because I think it’s cool. :sunglasses:

I also notice the OP never replied here, maybe he just wanted to sit back and read this stuff and… LOL. :laughing:

UNSUBSCRIBED

You are now telling me how my night vision is ruined when I’m underground? Please… It’s not like I’ve only been down once or twice. Here are just a few of my photos: Exploration photos with my flashlights I’ve been doing this for years and I’ve never had an issue with night vision. I don’t really need it, I have flashlights with me… How many times have you actually been exploring underground in mines or caves?

And locating abseil anchors while descending in the dark. How many times have you actually done that?

+1. It’s not like I go around shining myself in the face.

More like a case of “refuse to loose” argument from your side. Just accept that there are uses that, although useless to you, are useful to others and move on.

Ya, what he said!

It’s so situational. If I had a larger property than the sliver of land I’m on short bursts would come in handy to check what’s in the yard. As it is I have no use for it other than the wow factor. My personal use for bright light is limited to sustained runs. It’s easy to see how this is not a universal use case.

My Jaxman E2L (smaller than my S2+) holds high mode a lot better. I've left it on over 5 minutes and while the flashlight does grow warm, I've yet to have it on long enough that I needed to turn it down.

When I take my dogs out into my yard at night I find myself taking my D4 with me more often than my other lights. I use it on turbo to see what they are doing while they run around and do their business, then I just ramp down to a comfortable level so I don’t blind myself pointing the light at the ground to pick up after them. There is no way that I could keep track of what 3 dogs are doing with a 500 lumen light. Before I got the D4 I used my M43 Meteor or my Nitecore TM06S, both on turbo to see what was going on. So for my situation, the turbo mode on my D4 is very useful. IMO if the OP bought a D4, I don’t think that he would be disappointed with his purchase.

I have explored caves when I was younger. I did it with incandescent flashlights.

It is a discussion forum, it is okay to have disagreements. For sure I can accept you have differing opinions and requirements than me :+1:

I have to agree with the OP… stock lights turbo mode are for the short burst only… here is a case… if you have a big 10,000 lumen light with the great heatsink, then you can run 5000 lumen until the batery reach 3.7v…

Another case:
Modder try to achieve the highest lumen. Who care about short burst? It is about the possibility…

“But… mine goes up to 11.”

… That is once you’ve received your MT09R. :smiling_imp:

I will be honest… do i need 4000 lumen or more light?? No… walmart lights should do the task, but i want to have cool flashlights, high lumen, and high thrower light…

Ooh! Speaking of which… :heart_eyes:

Any idea when the 35s will go out?

I haven’t heard anything from Dale. Terry mentioned that all lights from the group buy should be shipped on (or before) the 31st if I’m not mistaken. I suspect your light should be included as well. But then again, there might be a delay which is so common in flashlight land.

Yeh, it’s need vs want.

Well, dunno about Wallyworld lights. I want even my EDC lights to be kewl. :smiley:

Woohoo!

11… 11… 11… :smiling_imp:

I think it’s a matter of marketing. There should be some regulation that requires that flashlight lumen ratings must be for steady-state output after 15 minutes or something like that. Then instead of a “20,000 lm light” that buyers are disappointed in because they get 20,000 lm for only 2 minutes, and then 5000 lm after step-down, we’d get a “5000 lm” light with a “20,000 lm burst capability”. Then buyers wouldn’t ask the OP’s original question.

But because there’s no such regulation, manufacturers will of course always state the absolute maximum output that their lights are capable of in their marketing materials, and not usually specify in detail how long that highest-output mode lasts, or how much lower the stepped-down output is.

I use my lights frequently for dog walking, so for me, the “short burst of turbo” is important, but the steady-state max. output is more important. i.e. on a typical walk, we’d be on a wooded trail with trees all around. I want to see fairly far ahead all the time, thus I’d want to know the steady-state max. output. But if I saw something suspicious in the distance, I’d also like to be able to blast turbo for a little while, so that spec would be important too, although secondary.

If manufacturers provide only the “short burst of turbo” spec, that’s not very useful to me.