Why no BLF Lumen Sphere?

With all the other super mods made by people way smarter than me being shown/made/argued here on the Greatest Flashlight Forum on the Earth, why is it no one has tackled a simple, easy to use, somewhat affordable Sphere?

Best way to make money is to find a need and fill it, soo………….let’s get busy :slight_smile:

It does not need to be “Lab Quality” is just needs to produce results that are repeatable and within a few % from unit to unit.
What you say Eggheads

Later,
Keith

Do those not already exist? Several members here have spheres. I was under the impression that thy were simple, easy to use, and reasonably affordable.

i have one since last year, and use it often for testing & comparing lights. (still refining the calibration technique for more accuracy.

http://budgetlightforum.com/search?q_as=Integrating%20Sphere

I know they exist, I was asking why no one had considered mass producing a simple one for sale here.
Instead of having to send around a flashlight of known output to calibrate your home made sphere, you would have units that were the same to begin with and would have an already established calibration.
Take away as many variables and different sizes, etc. and the results should become closer to reality.

DBSAR, that thing looks like a small nuclear reactor :slight_smile:
Well done!

I like Match’s model as well seen here;

Thanks,
Keith

nice idea.. why dont we ask a chinese dealer?

maybe they can make them for cheap! I assume they can make them for cheap.. the different parts shouldnt be too expensive.

No need to test the lights, the premium brands use the ANSI FL-1 Standard which is very clear and exact. They produce reproducible results. You can find the lumens on the back of the packaging!

That really isn’t all that hopeful and completely misses the point of this forum by a country mile.

Or 2 miles..

That post almost sounds like a joke... :D

My sphere cost me around 20 bucks to build

What does your’s look like and what does it consist of?
Thanks

Not sure but I believe JMP320 uses one of the dual J bend 4” PVC style “spheres”.

Those would be easy to make, we’d just all have to get the same meter.

Actually this is great idea. A budget (BLF!), mass produced integrating sphere could become pretty popular. Not everyone has the time, patience or resources to tinker their own one.
If someone would go through the trouble of making and testing a good design, I’m sure chinese companies would happily produce them, and copies of them, and copies of copies until nobody knows which is the good one ;D

The parts/materials wont cost much, all that is needed is:
-The sphere (a plastic ball(or other suitable shape) with few holes in it)
-Lux meter
-A pretested table/graph for lux to lumen conversion (this could also be integrated to the meter if reprogramming wont cost too much)

• Shipping. The original djozz and match spheres are around 10in to 12in. Djozz’s new sphere is ~22in. The entire assembly must be built in an exceedingly sturdy fashion in order to survive even shipping across the continent, much less international shipping. Building sturdy wooden frames is expensive. Shipping them is also expensive.
  • Even building all the spheres the same, they still must be calibrated - that’s what calibration is all about! Fluke builds all their meters the same, but they calibrate them before selling. The cheap lux meters used with these spheres do not come calibrated, plus you’d likely have to calibrate for assembly tolerances in the sphere anyway.
  • Feature / design goal creep & variances - in order for this to work users must agree on what features they want.

+ 1

Yes copies of copies of copies just like what happened to the original Skyray King.

Agree, No matter what, it would be very expensive to "make a bunch". Shipping would be the real killer. Also, they would have to be complete with meter and tested and calibrated, by the same person, with the same lights, or you just have a bunch of them with everyone getting different readings and mass confusion.

No two are exactly alike, would be a good catch phrase.

:slight_smile: This gave me a chuckle.

Yeah, I couldn’t remember who had posted a pic of a J PVC “sphere”, but that is the compact vision I had in mind. Cheap to ship compared to big round spheres and that PVC is durable.
We need those built with the same cheapo type meter and then just need the calibrated factor of each one being set up on the same flashlight as a standard.

I believe the Sunwayman D40A has been mentioned as pretty much being close to Mfg. specs.
What ever light is fine as long as it’s consistent.

Again, not looking for “Lab Quality” just need a good decent benchmark so we can see differences before/after mods are done.
If the designer/builder wanted to, they could also offer an upgraded model for bigger bucks.
I would be a buyer in the $60-80 range if that is possible, at least under $100.

Thanks for everyone’s input so far.
I just see need that is currently not being met by the marketplace.
Later,
Keith

Not asking for a lab standard sphere but an instruction on how to build a BLF DIY sphere could be a step up from shining light at the tree down the road guessing lumens.

this recently rekindled thread from 2012 describes more of what Cereal Killer referred to.3 right angle bends in 4”/100mm PVC that slides together , no need to glue.Parts are available worldwide , locally and cheap.Paint the insides matt white and fit a card with light meter hole in the middle at one end.
Djozz has shown that sub $20 lux meters do as good a job as $500 lux meters so it would only need a decision on what model…groupbuy!
Non modders can join in and it can measure torches up to 100mm lens diameter.Seems easier to me.