Why the prices of bike light are so different

Hello,
I’m new here. I want to buy a bike light. I saw many bike lights on the market from 9 dollars to hundreds dollars. But I don’t know how to choose. My requires are: long battery time, waterproof, not too hot, 100-2000 lm adjustable, solid quality, budget from 40-100 dollars

any suggestion?

Same as with flashlights: quality, features, and what the market will bear.

Quick and cheap rec would be to get a headlamp like a Boruit RJ02. Yeah, I’ve recommended this light so many times they should pay me a commission, but it does the job nicely for <10bux.

Oh yeah… “2000lm” and “not too hot” don’t belong in the same sentence.

The quality of the lights are not the same, the price is not the same, I recommend:Boruit RJ02

You can refer to this

+1

The last couple of years I’ve been wondering whether a dedicated bike light is still necessary. Flashlights have become so powerful yet compact, why not mount one on a bike? Then I will also at all times have a flashlight with me. You only need a clamp, that’s it.

That’s what I do. I’ve even gone so far that I’ve added a hole for a switch contact to one of my lights. The plan is to just put the light in the clamp and plug in a cable for handle bar mounted E-switch access.

Hi,
I am to suggest this light NightFighter Quantities are limited,
This brand has be re-branded as Revtronic and can be found on Amazon here, although the Amazon price is much more.

This is not too expensive and it does include a decent battery pack and charger.

The long battery life requirement will need a li-Ion battery pack of more than one cell.
A lot of lights offer generic four cell battery packs, the Achilles heal of bike lights These packs are hardly water resistant.

These battery packs are advertised are water resistant “high quality”

Most bike lights are not completely water proof, they can survive some rain but not immersion.

I prefer the self contained bicycle light, the cells are within the light
Fenix brand has some styles, The brand Ituo Light is another, but these lights get pricey.

I Hope this helps.

If you’re bike is underwater you have other bigger issues than just your light :stuck_out_tongue:

My latest bike light is a Thrunite TN4A. Pricier then the other options above, especially when you add in a handlebar clamp and 4 eneloop batteries. Ranges from 15 to 1150 lumens. I find that the 550 lumen setting is sufficient. I really like that it runs on eneloops. Finding a clamp for your bike is hard though. The one I got does not have a strap quite long enough to go around the TN4A, but it was not hard to fix that. I like that the batteries live in the light, not in a pack you have to store somewhere else. If you want to take the light off the bike, it is very easy. A bit big, but really more compact that a light and a seperate battery pack. Waterproof to 2m I believe, I have run it in a glass of water for 30 minutes or so.
check it out!

yeah, no…
i would rather have a light on my bike at all times-i try to ride every day and i like using the strobe in day time

plus the battery life of 4x18650
plus my main light is about 1500 lumens with 2 LEDs

flashlight in a clamp will wobble too, guaranteed

wle

Mine don’t. Guaranteed.

These mounts are pretty expensive, but solid as a rock. I’ve never used them on a road bike, but on mt. bike handlebars, they’re easy to install and reliable.

The link showed a mount that was $3 or so, is that what you meant? Not too expensive, wish it was big enough to fit my TN4A

Yeah, I didn’t mark the “expensive” as sarcasm, and I probably should have. But it works great for tube lights and C8s.

ok, good for you…

:slight_smile:

i wanted flashlights to work on my bike
i tried the clamps
they are ok, i admit, and cheap

and i hate buying extra stuff
but for various reasons i decided that for me, even $25 bike lights work better than flashlights

another reason is, i like a floodier beam on my bike than any of my flashlights

actually, the li ion bike lights were my gateway drug to flashlights
i was looking for something better than $70 incandescent bike lights with nicad or nimh batteries
dim, short lived, heavy, troublesome
then the cheap bike lights came
this was maybe 8 years ago

then somehow i found out that flashlights also used single cell 18650s, they weren;t just sold in 2S2P 8.4V versions

this was after i had discovered 16340 powered LED flashlights
the 18650 was a revelation
so
my history

maybe for me, since the bike light came first, i would rather keep one

i do always ride with a flashlight in my pocket though :slight_smile:
just in case
i think i used it one time as a bike light

wle

What is the max and min diameter of flashlight these mounts can hold?
I’m guessing that the side with the screw goes on the handlebar and the open side is for the flashlight.

oooh

i wouldn;t get one that didn;t hold the light in somehow

i think mine had a rubber band or 2nd clamp or something

one good bump and a $75 light is broken or run over

wle

I’ve never seen exact measurements, but they are very secure in holding my Convoy s2+, c8, Astrolux s41, and BLF A6.

And, you are correct, the screw side goes on the handlebar and the soft plastic side is for the light.

That’s what I call different prices… Alibaba vs. multitriathlon.com or skistart.com

That kid has one humongous noggin! Almost looks like Rocky Dennis from Mask… lulzy!