Wine & beer list, what's new

Right now I am really into beers that have been aged in bourbon barrels. One of my current favorites is Hinterland Bourbon Barrel Doppelbock.

Anybody here using the Untappd app to log your beer consumption?

Distribution hasn’t hit my area yet, but I am eagerly awaiting the new Pineapple Sculpin IPA and the Mango Even Keep Session IPA from Ballast point that were recently released. Not 100% sold on the Watermelon Dorado double IPA that comes out with them, but I’m sure I’ll try it too.

Picked up a growler of Rivertown Brewing’s Death - a ghost pepper infused Russian Imperial Stout - for Superbowl. Had it at the brewery last year and found it on tap at a local store this week. Rich, chocolaty stout with just a tiny bit of heat from the peppers. Solid winter brew.

I’ve been enjoying the stuff from Rheingeist Brewing in Cincy lately - their Truth IPA and Pure Fury hoppy pale ale are currently gracing my fridge in cans, and a growler of their Andromeda pale ale is wdged in there as well.

Batemans Victory Ale is my favourite at the moment, just ticks all the boxes!

Also like to support my local brewers: Ballards make some lovely bottle conditioned beers, Nyewood Gold is golden and delicious. Langham brewery Hip Hop is a great summer beer.

My tastes have changed a bit as I’ve got older, hops and more hops these days :slight_smile:

Golden Monkey by Victory.

Sneaks up on you!

After a recent tasting hosted by a Kona brewco rep at a resort on Oahu I’m looking forward to enjoying a Cubano with a Big wave. Should be good. Don’t know if it’s coincidence but SO enjoys an ipa and has no issues with diet soda whereas diet sodas taste hideous to me and ipa’s hit the back of my mouth like an old sock. I know the diet thing is a gene related taste issue so maybe the two are related.

Official BLF Wine thread 0:)

Make mine a 4pack of Hurricane Cat5, because I’m a poor boy in Florida, and the Best is none too good for me!

:wink:

-Chuck

One of my favorite beers is Bell’s Hopslam, and it should be available any day now. It pretty much sells out immediately though, so I’m hoping I can snag some this year.

A friend of mine just came home with over 2 cases of this!

Hip Hop is lovely. You might like FFF Moondance, not dissimilar. A friend is a fan of Bowman, brewed near Alresford, very distinctive but not to my taste.

The M&S near Camberley has a lovely stock of beers from small(ish) brewers, many are very hoppy, I tried a lovely one with Mosaic hops recently. Other branches must have some too.

Man…that sounds good, I hadn’t heard about that.

I stopped drinking beer about 17 years ago, and all drinking at 12+ years ago, but by then I had tried every American beer and 168 different Imports from 63 different Countries. Not “US-designed” imports but the same beers sold where they came from. That took a lot of looking and traveling to big cities who had one or two stores which specialized in imports- they weren’t found all over like they are now. It was a quest for me, and I spent a small fortune on it :crown:

Pilsner Urquell was hit-and-miss with the long shipping times but a good one was great. Lowenbrau Munich was to die for and $30 for six back then. French beer was universally awful. Some Belgian beers were wonderful. Germans cannot make a bad beer. My EDB (every day beer) was Newcastle Ale, warm or cold. Samuel Adams was one of the few decent American-made beers and quite new back then. Molson and Grizzly Beer from Canada along with Foster’s ‘oil cans’ served me for when I wanted something diluted. Modelo from Mexico was a better American-style beer than Americans made back then. I helped a friend homebrew ale back then, something like Bass but a fair bit stronger. Nice foggy memories from a past life :wink:

There’s a lot more out there now with American micro-breweries proliferating like rabbits breeding and finally Americans are beginning to understand what really good beers are, but it’s been a long road to get here. Enjoy one responsibly for old SawMaster :beer:

Phil

I only drink one beer a day on weekdays , two on a weekend day .

Samuel Adams is now brewed and bottled in the UK. It is truly awful, avoid, and an insult to the original.

Newcastle Brown? Very popular here, but horrible in my opinion. But if you like it, you’ll probably like Theakstons and other northern English beers.

Today's Superbowl beer will be Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale .

Tasty .

A group of us get together twice a year to brew a couple batches ~8-10 gallons each and never the same thing twice. The main guy behind it is retired biotech and now enters craft brew events as a serious hobby. A few have been some of the best beers I’ve ever had but all are interesting and for $20 a case plus a couple entertaining days spent it’s well worth the trouble. My taste seems fickle so I don’t have one brand I always go back to. I don’t drink it all that often, just when only a beer will do.

It is very interesting to see all these new micro breweries, interesting beers!

And we just returned from a little grocery shopping, I am happy, they had my all time favorite beer: Delirium Nocturnum
(I like their Tremens as well, they use the herb/seed paradise seed (it is a litteral translation from Dutch, no idea how this is called in English) and I applaud new flavors, very interesting beer yes!)
And well they also have a beer called La Guillotine, that name suits it, the foam head rapidly vanishes.
Brewer
But the dark Nocturnum is by far one of my favorite beers, very rich and special.
I’d choose it over any other beer if there was no option for a new beer to be discovered. And our supermarket sells them regularly, thus I drink them more often then when we lived in Amsterdam.

Also they had something new:

De Goudale Grand Cru in a fancy bottle, black matted finish not see through.
Man this is a nice beer.
Foam is like a bitter sweet fluffy cloud that is very sturdy.
Well balanced hops.
It is not a light beer but the alcohol is not present in the flavor, YES this means…. malts are the origin of the alcohol instead of sugar a lot of brewers use to up the percentage but giving it a more pronounced alcohol flavor.
Yes me likey this beer.

Oh about hollow alcohol flavor because using sugar instead of malt.
When you an, buy the Rochefort 6 and 8 and 10
They all have the exact same base recipe, the same amount of malts and types of malts and hops. Brewing is the same, but the monks add sugar to elevate the alcohol for the 8 and even more to make the 10 (I know this for sure, I brewed beer as a hobby and could clone the Rochefort beers, even expert beer flavor jury members could not tell mines apart from the original :slight_smile: and well Rochefort 6 also ranks very high on my favorites list.)
I prefer the 6 but am curious what other beer lovers think!

Had some Burton Baton from the Dogfish Head Brewery .

Deeeelicious .

I found something surprisingly good at the store where I often buy beer. They often have bargains and today I found Smuttynose Big A Double IPA for $4.99/4 pk. It is a good alternative to Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA or Great Lakes Chillwave (formerly Alchemy Hour). I hope to produce something similar when my keg based equipment is complete.