Wine & beer list, what's new

Man…that sounds good, I hadn’t heard about that.

I stopped drinking beer about 17 years ago, and all drinking at 12+ years ago, but by then I had tried every American beer and 168 different Imports from 63 different Countries. Not “US-designed” imports but the same beers sold where they came from. That took a lot of looking and traveling to big cities who had one or two stores which specialized in imports- they weren’t found all over like they are now. It was a quest for me, and I spent a small fortune on it :crown:

Pilsner Urquell was hit-and-miss with the long shipping times but a good one was great. Lowenbrau Munich was to die for and $30 for six back then. French beer was universally awful. Some Belgian beers were wonderful. Germans cannot make a bad beer. My EDB (every day beer) was Newcastle Ale, warm or cold. Samuel Adams was one of the few decent American-made beers and quite new back then. Molson and Grizzly Beer from Canada along with Foster’s ‘oil cans’ served me for when I wanted something diluted. Modelo from Mexico was a better American-style beer than Americans made back then. I helped a friend homebrew ale back then, something like Bass but a fair bit stronger. Nice foggy memories from a past life :wink:

There’s a lot more out there now with American micro-breweries proliferating like rabbits breeding and finally Americans are beginning to understand what really good beers are, but it’s been a long road to get here. Enjoy one responsibly for old SawMaster :beer:

Phil

I only drink one beer a day on weekdays , two on a weekend day .

Samuel Adams is now brewed and bottled in the UK. It is truly awful, avoid, and an insult to the original.

Newcastle Brown? Very popular here, but horrible in my opinion. But if you like it, you’ll probably like Theakstons and other northern English beers.

Today's Superbowl beer will be Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale .

Tasty .

A group of us get together twice a year to brew a couple batches ~8-10 gallons each and never the same thing twice. The main guy behind it is retired biotech and now enters craft brew events as a serious hobby. A few have been some of the best beers I’ve ever had but all are interesting and for $20 a case plus a couple entertaining days spent it’s well worth the trouble. My taste seems fickle so I don’t have one brand I always go back to. I don’t drink it all that often, just when only a beer will do.

It is very interesting to see all these new micro breweries, interesting beers!

And we just returned from a little grocery shopping, I am happy, they had my all time favorite beer: Delirium Nocturnum
(I like their Tremens as well, they use the herb/seed paradise seed (it is a litteral translation from Dutch, no idea how this is called in English) and I applaud new flavors, very interesting beer yes!)
And well they also have a beer called La Guillotine, that name suits it, the foam head rapidly vanishes.
Brewer
But the dark Nocturnum is by far one of my favorite beers, very rich and special.
I’d choose it over any other beer if there was no option for a new beer to be discovered. And our supermarket sells them regularly, thus I drink them more often then when we lived in Amsterdam.

Also they had something new:

De Goudale Grand Cru in a fancy bottle, black matted finish not see through.
Man this is a nice beer.
Foam is like a bitter sweet fluffy cloud that is very sturdy.
Well balanced hops.
It is not a light beer but the alcohol is not present in the flavor, YES this means…. malts are the origin of the alcohol instead of sugar a lot of brewers use to up the percentage but giving it a more pronounced alcohol flavor.
Yes me likey this beer.

Oh about hollow alcohol flavor because using sugar instead of malt.
When you an, buy the Rochefort 6 and 8 and 10
They all have the exact same base recipe, the same amount of malts and types of malts and hops. Brewing is the same, but the monks add sugar to elevate the alcohol for the 8 and even more to make the 10 (I know this for sure, I brewed beer as a hobby and could clone the Rochefort beers, even expert beer flavor jury members could not tell mines apart from the original :slight_smile: and well Rochefort 6 also ranks very high on my favorites list.)
I prefer the 6 but am curious what other beer lovers think!

Had some Burton Baton from the Dogfish Head Brewery .

Deeeelicious .

I found something surprisingly good at the store where I often buy beer. They often have bargains and today I found Smuttynose Big A Double IPA for $4.99/4 pk. It is a good alternative to Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA or Great Lakes Chillwave (formerly Alchemy Hour). I hope to produce something similar when my keg based equipment is complete.

This is a Norwegian craft brewer
Low in alcohol (logical with taxation over there) but dang rich in flavor
And for a former hobby brewer the specifics on the label are a joy!

It is like finding a small flashlight maker specify lumens lux kdc and all parts of the driver, makes one smile!

The Oskar Blues Brewery recently released a seasonal version of their popular ‘Pinner IPA’ flavored with Passionfruit .
While I’m not a fan of fruit-flavored beers in general , this beer is absolutely wonderful .

Oh NICE!
I can see passion fruit and beer go very well in one flavor!

I was never a big beer drinker but I got a homebrew kit for last Christmas. After that I fell for craft beer, especially IPA. I ordered a few mixed packages to test with friends. Here are some results:

St. Louis Kriek Lambic (0,25l)
Belgian Lambic beer with cherries. Not as bad and artificial as cherry-flavoured beers. Fruity and sour. Need to like lambic beers.

Steamworks Killer Cucumber Ale (0,355l)
Canadian beer with cucumber water. High buddy impression factor. But really? Naa.

Brooklyn Brewery Lager (0,355l)
Nice beer. Tastes well. But why ship it around the world?

Brewfist Terminal - Pale Ale (0,33l)
Italy. Too light, too short. (A problem I have with many non-I pale ales)

Hopfenstopfer Citra Ale (0,33l)
Germany. Great, very lemony, fruity, full-bodied. Almost no beer anymore. Really liked it.

Fullers London Pride
UK. Quite nice. Would drink it again when in London.

Lindemans Apple
Belgium. The apple flavour is not as bad as it smells. Still a bit artificial. Drink it ice cold next time?

Rochefort 10
Strongest (11.3% alcohol) trappiste beer brewed by belgian monks. Almost sparkling from alcohol. Malty. An experience I would not miss.

Delirium Tremens
Said to be one of the 50 best beers in the world. No notes taken, no memory left. I guess it was quite good but a bit overrated.

Brewdog Hardcore IPA
Highest bitter units in the UK. A real bitter bomb still with a taste. A bit too much for me but a friend loved it.

Kona Longboard Island Lager
Hawaii. Nice & gentle. Seems to live from the local colors.

I’ve been subsisting on longboards lately, very smooth, great with Cubano’s or peanut butter pretzels.

Subsisting on beer, just like a true monk. Been there, done that, in the good ol’ days.

ok ok i cant resist any longer.

angry orchard hard cider, just a bit sweet but goes down way way too easy.

anchor mango wheat. I know! fruit and beer aside from lemon and Hefeweizen, and (god forbid) lemon and crona.

the anchor mango wheat is a real beer but with just a hint of mango instead of summer lemon, very very good.

full disclosure i am huge fan of anchor brewing so figure that in.

btw how about home made kvass? summer is the season.

Anchor is good stuff.
Try the Angry Orchard green apple, it’s tart and refreshing.

after a day of filthy work (I mean really filthy, 1 septic tank emptied so 4,5m3 nasty pumped out I discovered that the work I had panned after could not be done.
I wanted to clean all the pipes with one of those 25m high pressure hoses with a head that flushes backwards. The water in the kitchens does not run as well as it is supposed to. But the emptied tank is only for two bathrooms and two toilets.
Discovered a slab of concrete under grass (knowing there must be something kept on poking with a metal tube until I heard it sound different then dirt
Underneath a nice point where the pipe of the third bathroom and toilet and the pipes of the kitchens come in a big pipe with ooening for maintenance.
So using the high pressure thing discovered it was is dire need of Cleaning and to my surprise another septic tank.
The guy emptying the first told me new houses get a 3m3 tank so our 4,5m3 is already nice
The second one I could not probe.
It is under our 5x5 trampoline where long ago stable was (now just a 50cm wall. So chances are that one is really huge.
So sigh not done the guy has got to come again.)

So now I deserve a little beer.
Normally not a big fan of AB-Inbev beers but just poured myself a Leffe Rituel 9°
And it is very nice
With 9% alcohol and being AB-Inbev I feared a sweet beer with heavy alcohol taste.
No no the alcohol is well hidden and fruit, spices and malt and hops make it is very nice beer in smell taste and after taste.
Good find!
Nice copper color
So cheers folks!

Cheers! After a project like that, a good beer is well deserved!

Good beer… Your choice