Winners Announced -【GAW】Do you want a smart flashlight/headlamp?

QUESTION : Do you think a smart flashlight/headlamp is practical? Why?

REPLY : I think a smart flashlight/headlamp is practical because we can offer it to “not so smart” people so that they become a bit smarter ! :smiling_imp:

SERIOUS REPLY : I think a smart flashlight/headlamp is practical because then I will be able to use it in a smart way, like illuminating something or some place when it is dark :innocent: :student:

Thanks for the GAW, Cyansky! :+1:

I have headlights that cut off with a wave of the hand but to be honest I rarely use that feature. Perhaps I’d use it more if I could control the modes with a hand-wave rather than just off and on.

Thanks for the GAW.

I like this idea. In addition to controlling the light using the app, the app could give useful real time information such as battery voltage, estimated usage time (at the current output), current temperature, and ampere (power used).

Pairing with Google Assistant or Siri, so you can voice command would also be cool. That would be truly smart flashlight.

As others said, it’s great to have those advancements in lights, it will come does to implementation and flexibility. It needs to be programmable. Blue tooth compatibility would make it very versatile

Smart may be overrated but if done well could be interesting

IMO voice command will be the next step for such smart flashlights / headlamps.
Of course it should not work for On/Off function to prevent accidental activation/deactivation.

I want simple manual controls that do what I want when I want. I would not be interested in a light with any kind of proximity dimming / gesture sensing technology. If I have a hand free to gesture, that hand is free to click a button as well.

How smart are we talking here ?

1. Any smart features should be able to bypass we all know how buggy systems can be especially early versions
  2. Bluetooth and app
  3. some way to use different motions for different functions
  4. not smart but smart some other color besides black, making it easier to find in dark
    Cheers
    OD

A smart flashlight/headlamp is only useful when it is really smart.

If that’s not the case, I would like to be able to switch to manual control.

Most certainly not.

A headlamp is a tool with 1 specific job: illuminate things in front of you. The easier you can get it to do that in the way you want, the better.
The switch is right there on your head, whcih is far less effort than, say, pulling out your phone, opening an app, and tapping the right config with wet hands on an unresponsive screen.

Making things “smart” could be useful, if the task you want to accomplish is more complex and requires some form of tracking or graphing.

Of course, a light with multiple colours, effects and modes might benefit from “smartening it up”, but then it would just be a novelty, which can be fun to play around with, but it would not be practical, nor a tool.

(1) Smart battery management would be great if it results in the ability for a user to achieve longer battery life and/or max sustainable output.

(2) Since you won’t be able to anticipate all user scenarios, always allow by-pass.

(3) Finally, lowest parasitic drain possible.

Some users have been asking about user interface-ablity through the USB port. Cyansky could be first!

The problem I have with smart tech in general is that it is not very smart. Inevitably a device will do things that I don’t want it to do at the wrong time. I call that a stupid device.
The problem being that the combination of processing power and sensors (and coding) are just not powerful enough at this point to really be smart. To do this right, it would requires at least some level of AI. Which is just not possible (currently) in something the size (and acceptable price) of a flashlight/headlight.
I can see the value in certain circumstances, but I would want flexibility in self programming the device for my needs, or just disabling the smart features completely when appropriate.

As of now, even with relatively expensive devices with fairly advanced processing (cell phone), I end up doing my best to turn of as many of the smart features as I can for general use.
But there is the option of enabling them when the situation warrants it.

i already use this kind of flashlight. i bought a cheap flashlight and upgrade it with a sst20 4000k it works perfectly but a bit hotter than the default one. it is a life saver for fishing. the flashlight also has red light and rechargable which is great.

Smart headlamps are very useful but with a disable option for the motion sensor.

Yes, yes! Great minds…

The thought of waving your hand to turn on flashlight always intrigued me but it was the No name companies that offered them. So I never purchased one. I would really like to try this one out to see how accurate it is. I can see it being really useful with dirty hands or gloves. While fishing, etc. I really would like to see a smart flashlight with an app so I can turn on and off remotely using my smartphone.

Thanks for the opportunity!

Well. Never had a “smart” light. But I am open to the idea!

I dont have any smart lights so I dont have that experience to comment on.
I would love the chance to give one a try.
Thanx for the GAW
:beer: :beer: :+1:

No, thanks. I’m smart enough.

I would really like to be able to set mode settings via usb or bluetooth for example, to customize the properties of the lamp in the future.