【Winners announced】【Giveaways】What kind of headlamp do you want?

Cyansky 2022

My uses for headlamps would be for work or nighttime walking/hiking.
For a work headlamp, a short range wide beam with high CRI will be useful. Simple UI with one click on/off, hold to ramp/step brightness when on, double click for turbo and hold from off for moonlight.
Walking headlamp should have a mid distance beam also with simple UI but with hidden strobe/sos.
Having built in USB-C charging will be useful for non flashlight enthusiasts without lithium battery chargers.

Cyansky 2022
I would love to see a lightweight headlamp with comfortable headband, high cri, and flood.

Cyansky 2022

I need to use a headlamp when I’m working outside, under a house or in a roof and both of my hands need to be free.

These are the features that I’d want:

- a wide and floody beam (e.g. OP reflector with frosted lens)

- high CRI

- 4500K CCT

- Dedomed Nichia 519A 5000K

- strong plastic clip to hold the headlamp in place (not silicone)

- large headband with overhead strap

- lightweight and compact design (18350 or 18650)

- magnetic charging or no charging to reduce size

- switch on the side of the head instead of at the end so that it’s easier to click

- a simple user interface with 7 modes ranging from 1 lumen to 600 lumens, mode memory

- low voltage protection

- low parasitic drain

- mechanically lock out by twisting the tailcap

• strong magnet in the tailcap

These features are useful when working on things close up. I rarely try to see further than 50 metres with a headlamp. I’ll pull out a throwy torch to see further away.

Thanks for asking and thank you for the GAW!

Piercing The Darkness has done an awesome review of the HS6R:

Thanks for using a warm CCT :beer:

Cyansky 2022

I am using headlamp mostly for trekking.

I like multipurpose headlamp, which you can remove form headlamp mount and use it as normal flashlight (such as Fenix HM61R Amber).
White and red light. Moonlight mode (have 0,15 lumen on my flashlight and it´s not bad… but don´t know if it will be useful for headlamp :smiley: for headlamp brobably little bit higher)

Thank for the GAW Cyansky. :slight_smile:

Cyansky 2022

Driver that is both efficient (buck or boost) and must be fully regulated with constant output in all modes.

No timed step downs, but température regulated to prevent overheating.

Ability to open for diy mods to swap LEDs when they get outdated.

Good UI

Moonlight mode.

High CRI (sst20 or Nichia)

Cyansky 2022,please:

Headlamp small size powered by AA/14500 batteries.

efficen boost driver.No PWM.

Two Leds, E21A 2000k flood beam + E21A 3000k throw beam on Tir lens.

Ramping UI start always start from lowest level (0.1lm).

Memorized last type of Led used.

From Off,long press for firefly mode (when mode memory is activated)

From Off,2 fast clicks turbo mode

From Off,3 fast clicks for activate mode bright memory

From On,hold press for ramping advance,release then press after 1,5 seconds for decrease light

From On,3 fast clicks for change type of Led we want use.

Cyansky 2022.

I use the headlamp for hiking, walking dog, working on cars, under sinks, general work around the house in confined areas.

My thoughts:

• Lightweight.

• Uses multi chemistry cells Lithium-ion, Ni-MH, Ni-Cd, and Alkaline.

• Do not use proprietary cell.

• Not on board chagrining.

• Comfortable head band – include a spare.

• Survive drop from 1.8 meters.

• Neutral white LED for good color rendition.

• Simple –UI from off Moonlight, Low, Medium, High.

• No strobe, blinks, disco, whatever I don’t want them – or bury them blinkies in secondary operational mode.

• I don’t want to cycle through blinkies to get to low, medium, or high.

• A useable button/switch when wearing gloves.

• Secondary red led is nice to have. • Usable in the rain, not underwater just in the rain I’m not going to look up those IPX ratings.

• Also make it attractive to members of the opposite sex, I don’t want to look anymore dorkish while using / wearing the headlamp.

Cyansky 2022

Most of my headlamp usage is when I'm working on projects in the workbench (as a compliment to my table lamp) and home repair. I like my headlamp to be relatively lightweight and comfortable to wear, multimode, has a high CRI LED and has both spot and flood beam.

Thanks for the giveaway

I usually use headlights when I don't want to carry flashlight all the time in my hand (longer walks)
Or when I want flood lights when I need both hands.

Cyansky 2022
18650/21700 build in charging via USB C (working USB C to USB C charging)
Ramping brightness UI (at least as a one of the modes)
option with one red SST20 would be nice and second SST20 4000K (or two with different TIR for flod ant throw)
It would be good to be able to check the voltage, like in anduril ui lights, or new convoy.

Cyansky 2022 …thanks

I use them for crewing on firework displays
Need

- Robust and reliable

- Enough water resistance for rain

- Long battery life on moderate brightness

- Comfortable head strap and not too heavy

- No blink modes, or at least difficult to access unintentionally

- Neutral white

• Beam to see where I’m walking yet not blinding other crew

Nice to have

- Red secondary

- Charging port

• Battery life indicator

Cyansky 2022

- Anduril 2

- On-board charging with the port in the threads for better water tightness

- Ability to have flood or throw

- L shape for better use as a flashlight

- 18650 battery

• Switch turns solid red when battery is at 3.5v and flashing red at 3.0v but light does not turn off at any charge state

Thanks for the give-away!

Thanks for the giveaway. Count me in.

I really like the combination of flood and throw on the Cyansky 2022. Flood works great for indoor use and close work. Throw is good for walking or hiking outdoors.

Flood is very important to me in a headlamp. It is essential, in my opinion, to have a smooth, wide beam, without any hotspot at all. That's why I like the frosted lens (is it a TIR?) on the Cyansky 2022. An option for a mule (i.e., no reflector) might even be better.

I like to read using a headlamp. I do this during power outages and when camping. For this, brightness is key. If too low, I cannot see enough to read. If too high, such as the 30-lumen setting on my current favorite, there is too much reflection from a white paper held at reading distance. I am not sure what would be perfect, but 10-15 lumens, or even a bit less, is probably close.

Red LEDs and blinking modes are a low priority for me. I wish those modes were well hidden, off the main sequence of low-medium-high.

Cyansky 2022
Lightweight, centrally positioned emitters, flood with high CRI, true moonlight < 30 lumen, spotlight and functions with an external powerbank with charging port on the side.

Floody light which is not heavy on the forehead and has sustained light output of at least 200 lumens.

Good luck trying to decipher what everybody wants. You tried to throw everything into your first one with a good 4000k high cri flood and a spot and a low red and type C and a useful battery level indicator. I think the spot should have also been 4000k high cri and red should have more levels and there should have been a higher capacity battery and there should be a top strap and there should be a moonlight. I don’t think you can pack all of that into a multi-use light with a good deep carry clip that can stay on and be put in and out of a comfortable headband and keep it under 110mm. Study the current olight mounting system. Oh and of course make it ip68 and tough enough to drop from 2m as the current is. If it’s going to be a single emitter then make it a wide floody beam. My current multi-use edc is the armytek C2 Pro Warm 4000k. The cri is 82/83 and if that could be bumped to 90 I’d be pretty damn happy. In the last 14 or so months armytek has introduced at least six new headlights. I believe only one has a cri above 90 and they’re kind of lacking in spelling out details of a lot of their LEDs. I mention that only to say that you’re not likely to hit a home run just by adding one more light because it’s a crowded field and people want different options. And then there’s the price. Half of the players don’t want to spend much over $30 unless everything is exactly how they want it. Oh and then there’s the UI. I like the armytek pro UI but it’s clearly too complicated for a lot of people. I think others have already mentioned it but it needs memory one click on and off. From off press and hold for moonlight. Double click for turbo at any time. Otherwise press and hold to cycle through modes not including moonlight or turbo. No ramping on a headlight because you want to have some idea of keeping track of battery use and run times. That means you need to have enough modes. Edit. I can’t stress the UI enough. Press and hold to turn on and press and hold to turn off is a no-go. It doesn’t matter how good the rest of the light is. If you use that UI you’re not going to sell lights.

Cyansky 2022
When I need hands free light, I want a comfortable headband, High CRI, No whiter than 5K, floody beam pattern, and moonlight mode, last brightness memory and goes from low to high, not starting on high. No blinky modes.

lightweight & high cri

Cyansky 2022

High CRI LEDs for primary spot and flood.

Offer options for CCT of 2700K, 3500K and 4000K. Maybe 5000K for those that like a cooler tint/temp.

Rear mount battery.

Top strap for better stability.

Cyansky 2022

Automatic dimming from photo sensor feedback. Like surefire intellibeam only on a headlight.

Cyansky 2022

I would need to use headlamp on:

• Outdoor activities (cycling, night walking, hiking, trekking or camping)
  • Indoor activities (fixing stuffs)

My dream kind of headlamp should be:

• Should not be heavier than 200gr
  • Maximum of single 21700-battery usage or minimum of single 18650-battery
  • Simple operation (moonlight-low-medium-high)
  • No blinkies
  • Powerful hi CRI led
  • Might consider one with color aux light (red/ green)
  • No charging port
  • Balance throw and flood beam