[WIP] °12mm° DD+single-7135 driver: double sided 10440 fun for Dual-PWM

Don’t assume that I actually plan on testing v016 myself. If it’s something you’re interested in getting rolling then I recommend that you be bold. :wink:

I’ll be bold as long as people like you are willing to hold my hand

:smiley: Clever.

Seriously though, who knows when I’ll work on it. Might be today, might months away. I don’t think I’ve ordered any 17mm PCBs, only 20mm w/ the two 1206’s. If you want to work on testing / playing with it I’ll be happy to hold your hand. Certainly get one of the other drivers working first though, better to knock the learning curve out on something we know works with a standard firmware! :~

My SOIC8 clip just came recently, so tonight I’m going to get comfortable working with the programming using a stock Qlite from RMM. Then I’ll get some reflow practice using my pre-programmed BLF17DD kit. By the time my Mouser and Osh orders come in, I should be good to go.

I’m debating whether to use this in an EagleTac D25A. I think the 15mm driver would fit, but this 12mm one makes it a lot easier for me to keep the original battery contact plate with tight/loose sensor, and there’s plenty of room in the pill because that’s how the stock driver works.

I mostly just need to do some tests on the stock driver first, like asking avrdude to attempt identifying the stock MCU. If it’s a supported model, I could just reprogram the stock driver (which is a boost, so I could use Eneloops). Stock has some weird aspects though, like (as far as I can tell) moon mode appears to be driven separately (from a MCU pin?) and adjusted by a potentiometer.

Would you be interested in taking clear photos of the driver and sharing them?

Sure! Well, sort of. The battery side of the driver is a bit difficult to photograph clearly due to the battery contact plate. It’s mostly visible after removing the kapton tape though. Here’s how the thing is set up overall:

I was able to see the battery side from an angle…

And the LED side is where I found that pot. Also, the positive lead broke off while I was messing with it… will have to fix that later.

For future reference, there is a mistake or omission for this driver as of v005. The output of the 7135 should be connected to L- (cathode of the LED) however it is not connected on this board. A simple jumper wire across fixes this.

Looks like the OTC via needs to be moved north of the mcu. That would open a straight shot to L-.

I’d love to put up a revision for it, but I don’t have the original Eagle files to play with.

I thought the ” download ” from the ospark link in the OP was the eagle files.

But i really don’t know about this eagle stuff, so somebody correct me if i am off here please :slight_smile:

^

The download contains the files OSH Park needs to make the boards and any other files that are submitted by the designer. Most folks give OSH Park their Gerber files which can not readily be converted into Eagle files.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

So Gerber files is like a compiled program with everything needed to produce the pcb, but not the source code as in the Eagle files that is needed to modify the pcb in Eagle.

Yes exactly right. Computer Aided Design (of which Eagle is an example) produces CAD files which are like source code, each program having its own “language”. They are able to output to a standard CAM file format (e.g. gerber). Computer Aided Manufacturing describes the software and hardware that accepts these files and controls the robotics that makes the PCB or other product.

Oops - Crap. Thanks for building one and describing the problem testedandbaked.

v006 now fixes this issue:
[untested] 12mm DD + single 7135 w/ LFPAK33 v006
[untested] 13mm DD + single 7135 w/ LFPAK33 v006

EDIT: So clearly I backtracked on one of the improvement from v005: When scraping to install the strap, be careful of scraping that nearby via by accident! (I’m referring to the via between the MCU and the BLF text.) It’s still pretty well covered by the MCU, just something to watch out for…

Nice to read you again Alex, you’ve been missed.

+1 on RBD. All the best.

Is there a parts list for this? Or am I dumb and have missed something obvious?

For parts have a look at this driver which started it 17mm & 20/26/27mm single-sided DD/FET driver release: A17DD-SO8 / A20DD-SO8 / etc

You just need a smaller FET and a 7135 chip.

Thank you. I did some hunting and have ordered all the bits. :slight_smile: