Worth buying old lights?

I wish I could find another one of these.

My favourite ever AA light and the one that got me off old style incans and into Cree LEDs. Mine dropped about a foot onto the table and never worked since. Maybe I can squeeze in one of those new XPG2s, hmmm.

+1 for the G2. One of the best AA lights besides the Uniquefire AA S1.

Been looking there but not any better price, if not higher then the other regular sites that are used here at BLF. thought in that other thread you wanted suggestions of lights then they might be 50% off somethings but didnt see anything interesting that was a lower price.

Thanks anyways

Edit/added
Heres what im looking for a 1aa or 2aa that has a standard 17mm driver that you can mod into a potentially nicer light i am a super fan of the xpg2 and thats what i want to put in it. I finally just ordered a host kit from FancyFlashlight and going to make my own. Still looking for a cheaper alternative though to work with.

Anyone have a recomendation?

The search tool is "broken" as it shows also AAA when I click "AA". :(

“Old” is a relative term for the smaller light IMO. An older single AA light with a XR-E that you diffuse isn’t much different than a XL-M that is underdriven (single AA) and diffused (or not).

If the older UI is good what’s “old” about it?

How about getting a Trustfire F20 and dropping an XP-G2 into it? (Tmart sent me a correct 5 mode with correct AA/14500 driver - see my post here and it's shipped from US warehouse.) old4570 dropped an XM-L into it back in the day here.

-Garry

Thats a very good looking light and is def on my list. Maybe i am wanting something that just is not out there, was wanting to spend less, like $8-$9 on the light. Then do the mods.

Edit - something like the sk68 clone price but maybe it is not out there :~

No judgment here if you decided to go retro on us and work it old-school! :slight_smile:

Just looked on the website again and if you 3 or more the price goes to $10.11 so far that is probably the best price as of yet. If you buy the similar empty host at CNQ or FF you have to 5 for $50

Thanks for the info Garry

After reading old4570’s upgrade on this it might be just exactly what I am looking for in a light!

I just bought a sun t40cs like a month ago…never considered it “old”…it’s got an updated U2 led and I love it…more throw than I ever need…

tbh…I don’t consider any light using an xm-l as old…I even have a hard time calling my sf masterpiece with an mc-e led “old”…an xr-e light I would considered calling old…but even then I have several xr-e lights that are awesome…

You know I was going to PM you the idea to do this build, but just never got around to it. Then I found this post and it was the perfect time to bring it up. I ended up ordering one of the U2's 50% off from Illumination Supply to put in mine. I'm also wondering how a Nichia 219 would do with this driver - Any thoughts anybody? Perhaps I need to order another one! I'm planning this emitter swap mod after I finish my A60 and before I work on the 4xAAA UltraOK. Planning some before and after beamshots. Oh, and I got the idea (from somewhere, can't find the post now) to run LifeP04's in this light (bought a pack of 4 from Walmart - yes I know, I read the reviews on them).

-Garry

Well thank you Garry…… lol

The concept of buying older lights to mod or upgrade is an OLD one that doesn't really work since the economy is flat and the dollar is down , and the chinese business model doesn't dump stock like westerners do . I waited an excruciatingly long time for deals to show up last year during the holidays and it seemed like only Dino direct was the only player willing to get off stock cheaply.Everyone else has played that hold stock forever card .When you find a deal it seems like they will call it a mistake and refund your money .

I just saw the avenger gx .old stock pop up and got excited till I realized it's the same price as the new lights just out from lumapower

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUMAPOWER-AVENGER-GX-MINI-R2-LED-FLASHLIGHT-75-lm-NEW-/360497769724?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item53ef576cfc

http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapower-lm21-r5.html

Same price ..one does 75 the other 350..probably not OTF

Good old hosts cheap just don't exist

I don’t know, while not cheaper, I’ve started looking at many xp-g hosts/lights.

This one for example :-

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1040

I don't think xpg is old ..

I think Q3 is old

i would like to buy new.

Made my purchase this morning. Bought 3 Trustfire F20’s hope they are what I am hoping they are.

These are marked down from $15 msrp to $11.99. If you buy 3-5 pieces they go down to $10.11 each. I also used coupon code INSPIRE for another 8% off. Had 50 cents of points. Final price paid was $9.13 and they are shipped from the US warehouse also. I think this was a good deal and thank you and everyone for the help.

Yeah, I used the same coupon code (sorry, I forgot to include it). Which emitters you dropping into these? I haven't even finished my XM-L U2 and I'm already considering getting another to drop a Nichia 219 into.

Do update us on whether or not you get the "correct" driver (the 14500 compatible one). You do own 14500 cells, right?

-Garry

I hope that I get a good driver like you did! Will let you know what I get.

I have a few options on the LEDs i can put in there and still havent decided yet. I have the Nichia 219, XPE warm white, XTE’s, XML U2 1C, T6 1A, XPG2 in 2B (my most favorite out of any light that I have), 3D, 4C and random XRE’s. Probably will play around with different ones to see which ones work good with the reflector. Heck might try one of them all and take a few pics along the way :quest: . Bad thing is that I only have a camera on my Iphone.

If I had an XML U3 that would be the first one I put in this light I bet it would be a total beast!!!

I some 14500 Flames.