Would you be interested in buying a 4-mode; Very low - Low - Med - High; XP-G version of the Eastward YJ J609 for ~$18?

Hello again,

Ok so it look like a driver compatible with AA + 14500 would be the best compromise. I know that this reduces AA and 14500 performance a bit, but I think we might alienate a lot of people if we don't support both.

As for the maximum output, I'm not very good at estimating lumen outputs, and I'm just basing my estimate on what I've read about other lights. How about if we try to use other known lights as reference points? Can we say that the Trustfire R5-A3 is currently the brightest AA / 14500 compatible budget light? I'd be perfectly happy with the high output of the R5-A3

As for the low outputs, I've read that "moonlight mode" in the lights that have super-long runtime is usually around 1 lumen. I don't own one, though, and have no reference points. But it should still be useful for emergency work in dark conditions. Or bedtime reading. My reference point for "low" mode is the Trustfire F20 (K-106 3-mode is similar), which are reported to make around 6 lumens on low. 6 lumens is a very nice low for working around the house in a power outage, or even walking around in very dark conditions outside. I tend to think that we should be conservative with the "medium" mode, since we can always briefly switch it to the highest mode if needed. Does anybody know how much light the Trustfire F20 or the Ultrafire C3 Stainless put out on medium?

Ok, let's try to keep this discussion moving. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. Meanwhile I'm still waiting on a new reply from Eastward about shipping, I imagine I won't hear anything until Sunday night or even Monday night.

Thanks, take care.

And... we're up to 37 now at the poll! Nice!

TrustFire F20. WIth Ni-Mh estimate "by eye"

HIGH = 140-160 lumen

MED = 90-100 lumen

LOW = 6-8 lumen

I agree about the R5-A3 is the brightest AA sized light

One very important thing is the pwm frequency. Noticable mode flickering could totally ruin it for me.

i dont really like the AA sized flashlights. output is just not as good as 18650 or 16430 flashlights.

and btw, someone commented on strobe? VERY useful function. believe it or not. I live on a dark road with a speed limit of 30 mph. but guess what, i even do 55+ on it. straight shot, no cops.

soo when backing in trucks, my 16430 light (and my p7 MTE before i modified it) would stop oncomming traffic from both directions in a matter of 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile!

much safer than trying to stop them with something low powered (for instance a 100 lumen light like a AA) that didnt have strobe

this flashlight looks ok, if it was cheaper than 18 bux i might be in for one anyways, but i have no 14500 batteries in my collection yet.

SIDE NOTE:

Lowe's is now carrying 18500 (comes in solar lighting) and 14430 LiFEPO4!!!!

the 14430 comes in the super expensive solar lighting, with only 250maH. but they are on J-hooks in 2 packs for about 13 bux, with 400mah.

not sure if we can get a flashlight 14430 sized in an r5 but i would DEF be in for one.

i tried my smart charger, sure enough, charges to 3.62 V no problem!!! (on a 14430 250mah)

Some of you were wondering why DX and friends continue selling lights with strobe and SOS. My guess is that people buy them and usually don't like them, but they don't have any other option of south of $50.00, so they just live with it. And from the Chinese suppliers' end, I suspect it's simply an issue of lack of perception or "feel" for their target market.

This is entirely true. Frankly these podunk chinese companies have no idea how to do western style (ie effective) market analysis. Basically what happens is that the one original factory starts making these light copying some fancy flashlight that had the modes, and some other local "entrepreneurs" see that he's making money selling them, so they go and make the exact same thing, because hey, he must be doing something right. You see this all over china, where one successful company in a region sees dozen of copy-cat businesses pop up in quick succession. That's why people talk about "sock city" or "phone city" or whatever in china, and it's not because of any central planning, but a result of the I think poor mentality and utter lack of creativity (often compounded by the dream and myth of immediate wealth above all else).

I was talking about it in some depth with some chinese friends, and frankly it's depressing.

i dont really like the AA sized flashlights. output is just not as good as 18650 or 16430 flashlights.

14500 is same output.

Lowe's is now carrying 18500 (comes in solar lighting) and 14430 LiFEPO4!!!!

the 14430 comes in the super expensive solar lighting, with only 250maH. but they are on J-hooks in 2 packs for about 13 bux, with 400mah.

not sure if we can get a flashlight 14430 sized in an r5 but i would DEF be in for one.

i tried my smart charger, sure enough, charges to 3.62 V no problem!!! (on a 14430 250mah)

Walmart carries 600mah 14500 lifepo4 for $2.0 apiece. So does Kaidomain. Charging in a charger not designed for it is not a good idea, since termination for lithium goes straight to 4.2.

my soshine is designed to charge them lol

and i never saw them at walmart.

im just saying for people who dont like to order from china. theres a reason im able to sell the MCU-C7s so easily over here. guys see it, and bam sold!

Mode arrangement of 5%-30%-100% would be perfect. If custom tint is also on the menu a 5000-6000K emitter would be very nice.

Asi? The F20 medium mode puts out that many lumens? In that case, you're right my 40 lumen number is too low. I like the medium mode on my F20, possibly it's just a tad bit too high. So how about 70 lumens for medium on the BLF AA-Z4?

I'm updating the specs on my first post here.

Yes, in my F20 there is not much difference between HIGH and MED, even the current draw, if I remember on HIGH is 2,3A and MED 1,2A (still high current draw) and LOW 0,15A. My F20 review: http://www.forolinternas.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=722

I agree about 70 lumens on MED on the Z4.

And I think that is possible that with an hybrid driver, with Ni-Mh you can get 150lum on HIGH but when switching to 14500 you get +250 lumens on same mode. BUT NOT DIRECT DRIVED, all of us know that xpg-r5 + direct drive + bad dissipation = angry blue / desoldered led from star

Good, thanks very much Fran82 for the help with these specs! Now we just need to hear back from Eastward about shipping and pricing details.

How's 44 for a nice first order of the BLF AA-Z4? (Nobody is double-voting, right??) Very impressive turnout here, I'm pretty sure that this will become reality. Actually somebody voted for Qty 10+ but it was an anonymous voter, so I didn't take it into account. But it does go to show that this design has some real potential if it were to become available. If you are reading this and you voted for 10+ could you please register here on BLF and PM me? Thanks!

Instead of discussing the modes (never reach an agreement, is a matter of personal preference)

it could create another poll with two or three choices and vote.

(If you receive confirmation from the manufacturer on the price of shipping and if he is willing to include this type of electronic)

Regardless of what level the middle modes are, as long as it has a moon mode low (or as near as makes no odds) and a decent high im in.

Why not reach for the moon and demand programmable modes like the Akoray K-106?

I'm starting to doubt whether this can be made for <$20. Ok, I can see a 3-4 mode (with direct drive lithium xp-e) light for <20, or a 3 mode xp-g AA-only xp-g, both of which would be good deals; but everything combine, I'm thinking more like 30, which is not a bad price, but more than what some may expect.

I beleive that the perfect will be xpg-r5, hybrid driver (aa/14500 suport) and programmable modes. Then with a programable driver all problems solved, except the price (I beleive a programable version could not be 5 dollar more)

@Tido, Akoray programmable K-106 is a great AA light i really like the driver and if Ultrafire ever make a C3 SS with a similar driver and an XPG R5 it will be bought and EDC'ed just as soon as funds and HK post allow.

Until then a 4 mode AA light with a decent high (100+ lumens or so) and moonmode low will fit the bill. especially as the only light i currently own that has both a decent high (actually its a ludicrously high high) and a moonmode low is my Varapower 2000, unfortunately a 3D size Maglite host isn't exactly practical for my EDC use if only someone could mod an AA Minimag in a similar fashion....

I would also love it to be programmable. But to avoid sounding too demanding (read: expensive) to the manufacturer, let's stick with fixed modes. If this one flies, then we will try to lobby for a programmable version, which will be called the BLF AA-Zi.

Question for the experts: Does it somehow cost more to make a flashlight with a *very* low mode? It's obviously technically possible because ITP and Fenix and the rest all have it, but the manufacturers seem to suggest that is would be more expensive to offer a moonlight mode. Isn't it just a matter of changing out a single resistor?

Depends ! on how the driver is made , but yeah . possibly just by changing the value of a component ... Just depends as they might have to test and retest till they get it right [ research & development ]

While they may already have a 3 mode [ Hi- Med - Lo ] driver ready to go ... [ If they also make the Maratac / ITP ] In which case low may be 2-3Lumen [ if its the same driver ] ...

Also depends on where the driver is sourced , 40 - 50 drivers are going to cost a lot more when custom ordered , than say a batch of 1000 drivers .

So if you start demanding custom this n that ?

I would love to see a ramping driver ...... That way everyone can have what ever light level they want ... At the click of a button ... When they want it .. With memory of course ...

I have a ramping P60 Pill , and its great .... For me in anyway , I would ask what drivers can be optioned , without blowing out the price ... You never know unless you ask !

I would be very happy with a Xp-G R5 powered by a AA , and if it does 150Lumen out the front on a rechargeable , happy days ! In fact anything north of 100Lumen on a single AA ..

If you want a 14500 , there are plenty out there already ... A XP-G R5 on a 14500 is going to run warm , very warm , especially in a small body , unless its regulated to 700mA or something ..