Would you be interested in buying a 4-mode; Very low - Low - Med - High; XP-G version of the Eastward YJ J609 for ~$18?

If light levels are controlled by a microcontroller using PWM or PFM, as it is done in almost every multi-mode light I’ve seen so far, you would probably just need to change a single constant in the source code. The real overhead would be having a batch of those µCs programmed and kept in a separate inventory.

OK,

PWM = pulse width modulation

PFM = ¿what? first time I heard that

Hmm, maybe Pulse Frequency Modulation? I personally like current regulated drivers, but that will most likely rise the price. Anyway, as long it has no strobes... I will buy it, even if it is just to support the project... and maybe in the future more expensive lights.. with more features of cause.

PFM is pulse-frequency modulation. Instead of changing the width of a single square pulse per duty-cycle, you take a fixed-width pulse and alter the frequency at which this pulse is triggered.

OK OK

So the million dollar question.... when we will have any kind of response from manufacturer/supplier¿?

When the flashlight will be ready to purchase?

To begin to do plans......... (because there are more flashlights to buy.........)

Thanks Tido for the explanation!

I'm still trying to move this project along. The manufacturer sounds interested, but is a slow communicator. There is also a very high language barrier in this case. I imagine that the manufacturer would not be a good option for shipping, they don't seem to be very oriented towards end-user customers. So it looks like we'll have to use middlemen. Oh well, it might actually be an advantage, the quantities will be higher and the cost might get driven down.

When Manafont.com contacted me about their ad banner that we are running this month, aside from the advertisement they also expressed interest in offering BLF members custom lights with customized combinations of bodies, emitters, and modes. In fact they actually asked me first if I would be interested in the idea. So late last night I gave them the details about the BLF AA-Z4, and they responded favorably. They are looking into it now. There is a major advantage to Manafont.com- The two reps I have dealt with so far are very pleasant and professional, and they read and write perfect English. So they are in a very good position to understand our specific requests, and then translate that into Chinese for the manufacturer, who, as I mentioned before, can just barely communicate in English. So let's hope that they can work out something for us. They are not huge like DealExtreme, but I think that's an advantage. They seem much more entrepreneurial and communicative.

Is there anybody here who would refuse to buy from Manafont? Since they have been nice enough to ask us about custom flashlights, how about if we give them the first chance to make it happen? Afterwards, or if they can't make it happen, we could maybe go with ITC? If this flies, we could probably involve more than one reseller, I'm not sold on any one in particular.

Let me know! Thanks, have fun.

Mr Admin. I like the sound of this light. I'd be in for atleast 1, and more likely 2, and maybe even 3.

Any thoughts on the overall length of this light? Personally, I would like the length to be 90mm or less but would still be in up to 100mm.

Hi there ky70, how's it going?

The DX picture shows that the length is 94.16mm. Of course, I would also prefer a shorter light, but I imagine that the body style would be the most expensive thing to change.

Personally i don't have much preference for who gets my money however i think Manafont deserve first dibs on this deal as they have already started the ball rolling so to speak, they seem eager to please and have reps with a good standard of english and if they drop the ball then perhaps ITC or another outfit can get a chance to pick it up.

I spoken with manafont customers live chat, they have excellent english.

I have ordered 5 ultrafire 504B bodies from them, waiting to get them, I would rather have manafont have them, than DX ot KD.

It's better to spread the jam evenly.

Wow, the mentioned Ultrafire WF-504B bodies look very different to the ones from Lightake.

Looks like a totally different body.

And they have got rid of the shining bezelring, nice!

The shiny bezel ring has never bothered me. It is enormously better than the spiky things that ITC insists on supplying with Solarforce lights. A matt one might just lose a lumen or so - probably ought to get one and try it to see. And see what Manafont's service is like.

The ring is not bothering me. I just dont think it looks good on a black light.

I agree totally with the terrible spikes on Solarforces!

I think it's a new design. The tail looks quality ill tell you as soon as I get them.

You can get the Solarforce L2 for about $10.99 from ITC. I want to see what the quality is like.

They have the Ultrafire WF-501B for $6.30. The thread look bad.

But those spikes are perfect for stabbing people in the face! No need to waste a perfect good beer bottle in a bar fight!

I no need to stab people, I have my to Colts 45 at my hip anyway I go.

Hello everyone, looks like we have an update on the BLF AA-Z4 project. I've been in contact with Audrey at Manafont.com, who has been working very hard to move this project along by communicating with Eastward YJ. Here's the latest communication:

So what do you think about Eastward's response? Does that make sense that an R5 (XP-G presumably) LED basically can't product less than 12.5 lumens? Do you have any suggestions or options for them to get a true moonlight mode? And what about the 1.5V AA limitation? I personally don't use 14500 at all, but I know that some of you would prefer it.

Please post your ideas here. A big thanks to Audrey @ Manafont for helping with this. She will be reading this thread and will communicate with Eastward.

IMO even with that specifications, and even that can not accept 14500, i think that is a good option if the price is 18$ or lower.

But.... 250 lumens on high with NIMH? is possible?